FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   WBI & patdowns: The impact (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1149581-wbi-patdowns-impact.html)

Flaflyer Nov 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by RosemaryT (Post 15189255)
I'm nervous as a cat whilst zooming through the air in an aluminum cigar with fuel-laden wings and uninspected cargo. Why add to the angst?

So we might guess that like me you will not be on the first 787 revenue flight? You worry about aluminum cigars, I worry about plastic model airplanes that are glued together. :D

As for the angst, relax and enjoy your DL Y peanuts. Remember: for most of the flight you are not zooming through the air, you are zooming through a freezing partial vacuum. ;)

WhitePlains Nov 18, 2010 12:05 pm

Now Yahoo has picked up the news and is running it on its website. It is having an impact. "If you touch my junk.." ..brilliant and gutsy, thank you John Tyner!

Yahoo News story.

mikeef Nov 18, 2010 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Darkumbra (Post 15185113)
Hmmm... In May of next year I need to be in Dublin/Ireland, Frankfurt/Germany and Singapore all in the same week. My starting point is Toronto/Canada. How would you suggest I accomplish this? My work has me flitting from city to city. Suggestions?

On more than one occasion, a TSO has told their customers that, if they don't want to be searched, they should just drive to their destination. So I suggest you drive.

Heck, driving to Europe makes about as much sense as much of what the TSA does.

Mike

Boggie Dog Nov 18, 2010 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by RosemaryT (Post 15189255)
There are people (such as myself) who really don't have viable options to flying.

Isn't this a forum for frequent fliers? I'm already leery of air travel and I'm nervous as a cat whilst zooming through the air in an aluminum cigar with fuel-laden wings and uninspected cargo. Why add to the angst?

Of course, I would STOP flying if that was an option, but here in Virginia, Amtrak is abysmal, and car travel is excruciatingly slow and difficult (and potentially dangerous) for older women such as myself. I have a *terrible* time with falling asleep at the wheel after 3-4 hours of driving.

My point is, those of us who have to fly frequently already dread it enough. How about we look at ways to fix the existing problem without beating up on people who have to fly?

Until I have sufficient savings in place to retire, I must work and for now, that means I must fly.

Give us frequent fliers a little break, eh?

Rose

Maybe I have been misunderstood.

What I am suggesting is that TSA has escalated the screening process without apparent cause.

However, if the threat is really so great that it requires being groped then just how safe is air travel? Can we rely on TSA to interdict threats?

I fly enough to be pretty proficient at clearing TSA Choke points. My flying is mostly limited to pleasure related trips with a side business trip thrown in for good measure. I can choose to not fly and if the real risk is truly as high as indicated by TSA screening procedures I'm thinking it may be a wiser choice to find other transport.

For those whose livelihoods depend on air travel then I have little to offer but the threat of a large drop off of people traveling should cause the airlines to take note and decide if TSA is good for their business model.

I'm suggesting that TSA is neither good for the airlines or America.

Originally Posted by MikeMpls (Post 15189754)
No, that should not be tolerated.

But it seems to be ok at the airport.