Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PreCheck Shoes On and WTMD

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

PreCheck Shoes On and WTMD

If PreCheck passengers can go through WTMD wearing just about any kind of shoes, except perhaps, steel-toed, what was all the fuss about a few years ago when people were told the steel shank in their shoes would set off the machine?

Have the WTMD at Pre been adjusted so that they now don't alarm on shoes?
Old May 2, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by petaluma1
If PreCheck passengers can go through WTMD wearing just about any kind of shoes, except perhaps, steel-toed, what was all the fuss about a few years ago when people were told the steel shank in their shoes would set off the machine?

Have the WTMD at Pre been adjusted so that they now don't alarm on shoes?
No, metal-shanked shoes still alarm the WTMD.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
They are looking for explosives when x-raying shoes.

The shoe rule took effect after a would-be bomber Richard Reid unsuccessfully attempted to ignite his explosives-laden sneakers aboard an American Airlines flight from Paris to Miami in December 2001.

In The Wall Street journal:
U.S. Tackles Shoe-Bomb Problem

Ever since Richard Reid was caught on an airliner trying to detonate plastic explosives in one of his shoes, passengers have had to endure occasional footwear inspections in the airport.

That was supposed to be a temporary inconvenience while the government devised an efficient system to screen everybody for nonmetalic weapons, but a year and a half later, little has changed. Technical glitches, privacy concerns and congressional squabbles over money have slowed the government's progress toward preventing another would-be shoe bomber.

<snip>
Old May 2, 2016, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BSBD
No, metal-shanked shoes still alarm the WTMD.
So what happens - do your feet get patted down?
Old May 2, 2016, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884

The shoe rule took effect after a would-be bomber Richard Reid unsuccessfully attempted to ignite his explosives-laden sneakers aboard an American Airlines flight from Paris to Miami in December 2001.

I know that.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

So what happens - do your feet get patted down?
When the shoes alarm while going through the metal detector, the passenger is asked to take them off and put them through the x-ray machine.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

When the shoes alarm while going through the metal detector, the passenger is asked to take them off and put them through the x-ray machine.
Then I presume that a lot of people end up taking off their shoes because, unless things have changed, most shoes, except sneakers, have shanks in them.
Old May 2, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Then I presume that a lot of people end up taking off their shoes because, unless things have changed, most shoes, except sneakers, have shanks in them.
A lot of shoes have shanks, but not all are metal. Some shoes have wooden shanks, some composite or fiberglass. Non-metallic shanks don't alarm. I have a few pair with metal shanks, so I try to avoid wearing those when I am going through TSA checkpoints.

There are a few lists of manufacturers that do or don't use shanks, and what type, out on the web, but those lists are by no means comprehensive.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:21 pm

It's quite rare, actually.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are somewhere around 2 million passengers each day on commercial flights in the U.S. and not once has TSA ever found a shoe bomb in all the years that TSA has been requiring people to walk across TSA'S filthy checkpoint floors shoeless. At what point does a time consuming security procedure no longer offer value?

TSA had the technology to detect shoe and other type bombs but TSA's employees were too incompetent to maintain Explosive Trace Portals in an operational mode. Even now TSA could do random ETD swabs of peoples shoes to address the almost non-existent threat of a shoe bomb.

TSA is so eaten up with stupid that the agency is unable to conduct any real risk analysis. If TSA really wanted to address terrorist type threats the first step would be 100% screening of insiders. But that won't happen, paying airline passengers are so much easier for TSA to harrass and abuse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.