Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

PHX Sky Harbor Airport and Breastmilk: Part II

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 10:16 am
Original Poster

In 2010 at PHX Sky Harbor International Airport, a woman was detained in a plexiglass cage for 30 - 40 minutes while a TSA Manager tried to figure out if he would permit breast milk to be screened according to TSA Policy. The TSA Manager initially told the woman "Not today" when she asked that TSA procedures for breast milk be followed. The woman filed a lawsuit. TSA settled for $75,000.00

Well, once again PHX Sky Harbor makes the news for alleged mistreatment breast milk. The woman reports that she identified the milk to TSA and it was sent through an xray. She reports that a TSO took the milk from the xray, and opened the breast milk. She reports on her facebook page that TSOs argued in front of her about the proper procedures.

Last edited by gingersnaps; May 3, 2016 at 10:36 am
Old May 3, 2016, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

(shakes head)

TSA humiliates her in public. TSA humiliates itself and embarrasses good screeners by allowing screeners to argue policy in public in front of pax.

Why didn't either one of the TSOs ask for a supervisor? In fact, where were all the LTSOs/STSOs/BDOs? Or are bickering TSOs violating protocol normal and acceptable at PHX?

Then, after it goes public, TSA wants to talk about it in private. If they've done nothing wrong, why not a public discussion? The pax clearly has no problem with it.

I think it's pretty obvious that PHX learned nothing from the breast-feeding mother who successfully sued the agency, except that the taxpayers will pay up and the PHX FSD will run his airport the way he wants to and if breast-feeding mothers don't like it, they can fly somewhere else.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:38 am

The tapes and the testimony of the LTSOs/STSOs/BDOs working the checkpoint that day, as well as the testimony of the two TSOs allegedly arguing will reveal the truth.

They'll probably find an inventive way to fault the pax. Maybe she showed 'attitude'. Maybe every other airport and checkpoint she's gone through have been doing it wrong.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
In 2010 at PHX Sky Harbor International Airport, a woman was detained in a plexiglass cage for 30 - 40 minutes while a TSA Manager tried to figure out if he would permit breast milk to be screened according to TSA Policy. The TSA Manager initially told the woman "Not today" when she asked that TSA procedures for breast milk be followed. The woman filed a lawsuit. TSA settled for $75,000.00

Well, once again PHX Sky Harbor makes the news for alleged mistreatment breast milk. The woman reports that she identified the milk to TSA and it was sent through an xray. She reports that a TSO took the milk from the xray, and opened the breast milk. She reports on her facebook page that TSOs argued in front of her about the proper procedures.
Actually, Stacey Armato was harassed twice by TSA in Phoenix. The second prolonged harssment/detention was because as a police officer said to her "they were waiting for you" because she had had words with TSA on a prior trip about screening the milk.

With the second case, I am beyond belief that the mother would have allowed the TSA screener to get anywhere near her breast milk without changing gloves.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In this most recent Breast Milk Caper TSA is claiming Proper Procedures Where Followed.

On Monday evening, that TSA spokesperson let us know they are actively investigating, but so far, they claim Gregory's story does not match their video of the alleged incident. They say at this point, it appears proper protocol was followed.
Read more: http://www.cbs5az.com/story/31868730...#ixzz47bzfHtyN
Old May 3, 2016, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Actually, Stacey Armato was harassed twice by TSA in Phoenix. The second prolonged harssment/detention was because as a police officer said to her "they were waiting for you" because she had had words with TSA on a prior trip about screening the milk.

With the second case, I am beyond belief that the mother would have allowed the TSA screener to get anywhere near her breast milk without changing gloves.
About the second case. I am not surprised. I believe that people have a sense of "obedience" and helplessness at TSA checkpoints. Consider that screeners are made to "look" like law enforcement and are even called "Officer". Yet when it comes to holding these "officers" accountable, TSA claims they are not "Officers" as described in the Federal Tort Claims Act.

I expect that someone who has done their research concerning screening a particular item would expect that screener's would follow published procedures. I also expect that a traveler, generally, is disinclined to protest on the spot against symbolic law enforcement officers.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:00 am

They may be symbolic, but it's up to them whether or not you fly - and whether or not they have you arrested or removed from the airport.

That's all the authority they need to ensure compliance.

How can you 'research' classified documentation, the interpretation of which varies from airport to airport, screener to screener?

I have 'researched' myself silly, and I still have zero assurance that my tiny bottle of nitro pills will be allowed. The answer is 'maybe - the screener will make the final decision', and I have no way of knowing ahead of time what that decision will be.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:33 am

And now comes a report of a woman with diabetes who faced a pat down because she would not throw her allowed liquid away.

https://twitter.com/AskTSA/status/727545390246055938

This happened at LAX.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:41 am

I think that's been standard procedure for a while now - as much as anything to do with TSA can be called 'standard'. It's been discussed on this forum.

If you have LGAs >3.4 oz. that should be allowed, according to the non-binding rules on the website, you are subject to a full grope-and-swab.

It gets kind of funny with a family traveling with children and over-size medical/infant LGAs. Apparently the rules only require one person to be groped, so I've read of TSOs asking mom and dad to decide which one of them will take the grope.

I've never figured out what the connection between oversize permitted tested LGAs and a grope is.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by chollie
I think that's been standard procedure for a while now - as much as anything to do with TSA can be called 'standard'. It's been discussed on this forum.

If you have LGAs >3.4 oz. that should be allowed, according to the non-binding rules on the website, you are subject to a full grope-and-swab.

It gets kind of funny with a family traveling with children and over-size medical/infant LGAs. Apparently the rules only call for one person to be groped, so I've read of TSOs asking mom and dad to decide which one of them will take the grope.
But she was told to throw it away. That is not standard procedure for allowed medical liquids.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
But she was told to throw it away. That is not standard procedure for allowed medical liquids.
"Screener discretion".

Seriously, anyone with oversize LGAs (medical or infant) has two choices at the checkpoint: discard the LGAs or submit to an examination of the LGA and a full grope.

She was likely told to throw it away if she didn't want a full-body grope.

I've seen a TSO explain the connection between oversize, tested LGAs and a full grope. You automatically arouse suspicions if you have oversize LGAs, even if the LGAs would pass through unchallenged if repackaged to fit in small containers in a Kippie bag. Because you are carrying amounts that TSA maintains could take down a plane, it's necessary to clear both the LGAs and your person. You might have weapons on you that you planned to use in conjunction with your LGAs to cause harm.

That explanation left me scratching my head, but perhaps it makes sense to you.

Last edited by chollie; May 3, 2016 at 11:53 am
Old May 3, 2016, 11:46 am
Original Poster

They may be symbolic, but it's up to them whether or not you fly - and whether or not they have you arrested or removed from the airport.

That's all the authority they need to ensure compliance.

How can you 'research' classified documentation, the interpretation of which varies from airport to airport, screener to screener?

As for researching ssi screening procedures, one can not. All one is left with is TSAs "can I bring it" search function. I would most would expect that TSA would follow the published procedures. You and I understand that every screening experience is different.

I have 'researched' myself silly, and I still have zero assurance that my tiny bottle of nitro pills will be allowed. The answer is 'maybe - the screener will make the final decision', and I have no way of knowing ahead of time what that decision will be.
Chollie, I understand your point. I see a difference between you and say some random person who does not frequent message baords and actively discusses issues with. TSA and screening.

With that in mind, I would not put you in a category about research and expectations.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:47 am

"Screener discretion".
That's not screener discretion, that's a screener playing with somebody's health.
Old May 3, 2016, 12:59 pm

My wife and I just went through carrying over sized liquids on flights a week or so ago. We were traveling with our son who turned 4 during the trip. She packed three 6 oz juice boxes in a quart sized bag for him and possibly for me since I am diabetic. We flew out a regional airport (PIA). She put the bag in the bin with her items and the TSA didn't say a word. They did ETD swab my son's hot wheels cars and plastic dinosaurs.

We came back at MCO and they noticed the juice boxes. I didn't hear the whole conversation because I was getting an ETD swab after alarming the MMW. The TSA allowed us to keep the juice boxes after a lecture but my wife got the full patdown. It seems silly to go through all of that for factory sealed juice boxes that easily fit in a quart bag and would be "safe" if they were 3 oz versus 6 oz. While we were waiting at the gate, my wife found an 8 oz bottle of sunscreen loose in her purse.
Old May 3, 2016, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by spd476
My wife and I just went through carrying over sized liquids on flights a week or so ago. We were traveling with our son who turned 4 during the trip. She packed three 6 oz juice boxes in a quart sized bag for him and possibly for me since I am diabetic. We flew out a regional airport (PIA). She put the bag in the bin with her items and the TSA didn't say a word. They did ETD swab my son's hot wheels cars and plastic dinosaurs.

We came back at MCO and they noticed the juice boxes. I didn't hear the whole conversation because I was getting an ETD swab after alarming the MMW. The TSA allowed us to keep the juice boxes after a lecture but my wife got the full patdown. It seems silly to go through all of that for factory sealed juice boxes that easily fit in a quart bag and would be "safe" if they were 3 oz versus 6 oz. While we were waiting at the gate, my wife found an 8 oz bottle of sunscreen loose in her purse.
What was your wife "lectured" about? Did she forget to declare the juice as medically necessary?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.