Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Fredd
Many thanks for the thorough explanation and related links. ^ Here's one more question...

One of the concerns about the X-Ray scanners that I share with dissident experts is the possibility of some kind of overdose if the machinery isn't operating properly.

Is there any chance of a similar problem with an improperly maintained and/or malfunctioning MMW or is the power basically too low for anybody to be cooked or whatever?
Way too low. 1/100000 of a cell phone - even if it overtransmits by a factor of 100, that's still 1/1000 of a cell phone. Keyless entry key fobs are cheap; no one worries that the key fob in their pocket is suddenly going to increase its transmit power enough to barbecue their leg. No one worries that the WiFi at Starbucks is going to start cooking customers.

Even if a MMW scanner somehow malfunctioned and put out a few hundred Watts, you would FEEL the warmth on the skin before any permanent damage would be done. Cooking with a microwave oven heats the object. It's not like you could get cooked without knowing it...

X-rays, OTOH: Just say no.

Last edited by RadioGirl; Feb 3, 2012 at 2:07 pm Reason: typos - shouldn't post after a good party!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Read more here. It's all been discussed before. The link you point to talks about risks of exposure to "microwave radiation" without specifying the power level, which makes it meaningless.

Finally, acute exposure to ANYTHING will cause damage. Here's my final analogy. X-rays are like arsenic. A little arsenic is bad for you, and more arsenic is even worse for you. You don't want to consume any arsenic at all if you don't have to. Radiowaves/microwaves/millimetre-waves/THz waves are like hamburgers. Too many hamburgers will lead to health problems that may well kill you in the end. But a single hamburger, or even a hamburger a week, is not bad for you.
Thanks for the link. I personally opt out for a mix of health and privacy (and annoyance) reasons, but I hadn't done as much reading on the MMWs.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
TPA Term E. i have been sitting in the restaurant watching the checkpoint for about an hour and my opt out was only one of three that i've seen so far. No barking, no yelling OPT OUT, and TSO doing the pat down made me listen to her whole spiel before she started the patdown. Patdown had no resistance and no mammary rub.

Lots of people willing to "assume the position"
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by deirdre
Thanks for the link. I personally opt out for a mix of health and privacy (and annoyance) reasons, but I hadn't done as much reading on the MMWs.
No problem. I would opt out of MMW on the grounds of (in this order) 4th amendment "reasonableness", risk of losing sight of my belongings, risk of getting groped anyway, privacy (lessened by the ATR technology), speed, and just because I think the machines are a ridiculously expensive and wrong solution to the problem. The one thing that wouldn't worry me about MMW is the health issue; I am acutely aware of how much more radio-frequency energy we're all exposed to every day. For backscatter x-ray, all of the above PLUS health concerns.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
PHX has the cancer boxes and I was the only opt-out

Opted-out at PHX T4 A gates today. Clerk was blocking the WTMD and directing everyone into the cancer box. I attempted to go in the WTMD, but no dice as the clerk pointed me to the cancer box. I loudly said OPT OUT and he told me to stand next to the cancer box but I didn't move and then he said stand where ever you want. I did my best to block the path to the cancer box, but the sheeple slipped past me.

I told the clerk I wanted to be more than 5 feet away from the back scatter and told him he should too as it is believed that radiation emits from it. He looked very confused. I told him the Europeans stopped using the back scatters because of health concerns and the MWW because they don't work. I'm not going to say the look on his face was one of stupidity, but he was definitely confused by what I had told him.

A two-striper showed up after about a minute for my groping. He asked if I had "done" this before and I smiled and said "always." No resistance met. LMAO
Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:20 am

San Juan, PR

I opted-out, as always, at LAX (jetblue) at beginning of week, and San Juan, PR at the other end. The LAX agent was a surly and brusque woman, the PR agent pleasant and amused by my opting-out, and wanting to know why I would put myself through this voluntarily.

The worst aspects of the whole ordeal is a) watching the obedient and compliant sheeple stream through without a second thought, and b) my boyfriend being one of the sheeple. And then he gets cranky when it takes me a long time to get through.

Interesting point: nearly everyone going through the Nude-o-scan ended up getting a pat down as well, including my boyfriend. He went through with his phone (despite being a seasoned traveler).

I would say I opt-out as a protest statement against the utter, pointless, "follow the money" stupidity of this rigamarol. But not sure if anyone pays attention or gives a damn.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by electra
I would say I opt-out as a protest statement against the utter, pointless, "follow the money" stupidity of this rigamarol. But not sure if anyone pays attention or gives a damn.
I empathize. When we last opted out (described here), the very courteous employee asked me at the end why I had, and I replied "Because I still can." It was my impression that he and his senior fellow employee got my point, unlike a number of TSA employees I've encountered.

Why this possibly futile gesture? Read the final lines of Auden's classic poem, The Unknown Citizen:

Was he free? Was he happy? The question is absurd:
Had anything been wrong, we should certainly have heard.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by electra
The worst aspects of the whole ordeal is a) watching the obedient and compliant sheeple stream through without a second thought, and b) my boyfriend being one of the sheeple. And then he gets cranky when it takes me a long time to get through....
You need a new boyfriend!

Bruce
Old Feb 4, 2012, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Fredd
I empathize. When we last opted out (described here), the very courteous employee asked me at the end why I had, and I replied "Because I still can." It was my impression that he and his senior fellow employee got my point, unlike a number of TSA employees I've encountered.

Why this possibly futile gesture? Read the final lines of Auden's classic poem, The Unknown Citizen:
I will have to read the poem, and yes, I do think that there is a certain inevitable momentum to the TSA and their mis-directed powers, but I will continue to push back as much as I possibly can, while I can. And I will continue to try and get the people in my life to understand why they should care about this stuff.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
(Regular readers, feel free to skip on down; nothing here you haven't read before.)

Here's a fact. The frequency of a microwave oven is EXACTLY the same frequency as (most) WiFi access points, Bluetooth devices, and many cordless phones: 2.4 GHz. Do you have a warning on your WiFi telling you not to "stand in front of the antenna"? Of course not. Why does a microwave oven cook your food but your Bluetooth headset doesn't? Because a microwave oven is about 900 Watts of power and a WiFi access point is about 1/4 of a Watt. The power from a television station antenna is even higher, possibly tens of thousands of Watts.
Well, actually, we do know the frequency used and some limits on the power. One of the manufacturers filed paperwork with the FCC to deal with concerns over interference from MMW scanners to other radiocommunication devices: There a lot of explanation in this thread so I'm not going to repeat it here. But note that the reason for that filing is that the FCC is concerned that MMW scanners could cause interference, so they have to be convinced that the power levels are sufficiently low.

As someone who loathes TSA and who objects strenuously to the MMW scanner on 4th amendment and other grounds, I've done some calculations and am able to get similar results that the power from the MMW scanners is about 1/100,000 that of a mobile phone. No, there are no "actual reports on exposure" because the power is a tiny fraction that of a cell phone.

There aren't any. Really. It's 1/100000 the power of a cell phone. Read more here, and in the threads linked from that post.

Read more here. It's all been discussed before. The link you point to talks about risks of exposure to "microwave radiation" without specifying the power level, which makes it meaningless.

Finally, acute exposure to ANYTHING will cause damage. Here's my final analogy. X-rays are like arsenic. A little arsenic is bad for you, and more arsenic is even worse for you. You don't want to consume any arsenic at all if you don't have to. Radiowaves/microwaves/millimetre-waves/THz waves are like hamburgers. Too many hamburgers will lead to health problems that may well kill you in the end. But a single hamburger, or even a hamburger a week, is not bad for you.
I really don't want to debate this with you. But I can see your degree and raise you two. I could go on and spout all sorts of facts and reference scientific sources which I would consider valid. You did not post a single link that was to a reliable source. No wikipedia is not to be trusted. You could have written that and I could have modified it. Wikipedia is not facts. No you can't depend on flyertalk either, that is just we people spouting our thoughts. Not all are factual or reliable. You see "if you read it on the internet it must be true" even applies to you and I.

I used a bit of hyperbole and for good reason. Radiation is radiation and to say that any device does not emit radiation is an error. There are different types of radiation and all cause damage. That damage is increased based on frequency, time and power. You have not specified the frequency or the power of the units. Also cellphones are not 2GHZ.

I am sure we can agree on many things. But you would have to know when my statements are hyperbole or data facts.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I really don't want to debate this with you. But I can see your degree and raise you two. I could go on and spout all sorts of facts and reference scientific sources which I would consider valid. You did not post a single link that was to a reliable source. No wikipedia is not to be trusted. You could have written that and I could have modified it. Wikipedia is not facts. No you can't depend on flyertalk either, that is just we people spouting our thoughts. Not all are factual or reliable. You see "if you read it on the internet it must be true" even applies to you and I.

I used a bit of hyperbole and for good reason. Radiation is radiation and to say that any device does not emit radiation is an error. There are different types of radiation and all cause damage. That damage is increased based on frequency, time and power. You have not specified the frequency or the power of the units. Also cellphones are not 2GHZ.

I am sure we can agree on many things. But you would have to know when my statements are hyperbole or data facts.
she presented numbers. those of of who care or have the capability could look further and say thumbs up or thumbs down on what she posted. so far, you have posted nothing quantitative nor provided any analysis up for debate. so, I agree with you, you are not debating this, as you've presented nothing for consideration. where are *your* links?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
she presented numbers. those of of who care or have the capability could look further and say thumbs up or thumbs down on what she posted. so far, you have posted nothing quantitative nor provided any analysis up for debate. so, I agree with you, you are not debating this, as you've presented nothing for consideration. where are *your* links?
I don't see any links to any hard numbers either. Not from a reliable source anyway. I understand the hyperbole. ET is saying, don't minimize any facet of the dangers of any of the technology. Whether you opt out for constitutional grounds, or privacy reasons or health reasons. The choice is yours. To minimize anything is why there are so many sheeple. To stop the TSA, would require a LOT more opt outs.

The jury is still out on health risks and all is still assuming we are being told the truth on anything. I was told Agent Orange was totally safe. How did that turn out for us. I remember being told PCB were safe and even asbestos. This list is endlessly and some day in the not so distant future, we are going to wake up to this as well.

That is my opinion and I am sticking to it. Since no personal attacks are allowed on here. I am not naming anyone in a negative way, like the last poster and will not rebut this at any point from this posting. Have a wonderful day and stay safe (NO TSA)
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:26 pm

I really don't want to debate this with you. But I can see your degree and raise you two. I could go on and spout all sorts of facts and reference scientific sources which I would consider valid.
You really don't want to debate this with me. Why would you assume that I only have one degree? Mine are in electrical engineering, specializing in radiocommunications, and I've spent twenty years in spectrum management activities.

Go ahead and quote "all sorts of facts and reference scientific sources." Feel free to use big words.
You did not post a single link that was to a reliable source. No wikipedia is not to be trusted. You could have written that and I could have modified it. Wikipedia is not facts. No you can't depend on flyertalk either, that is just we people spouting our thoughts. Not all are factual or reliable. You see "if you read it on the internet it must be true" even applies to you and I.
I actually posted links to my previous posts in Flyertalk. The first one was this post: LINK1 which, had you followed it, had a link to the FCC website. Here it is all spelled out for you:

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/procee...me=da%2004-373

Are you claiming that the FCC is not "a reliable source" when it comes to radiofrequency spectrum?

You then have to click on some links on the FCC page and you will find that (as I summarized in this post) the frequency band of the MMW scanner is 24.25 - 30 GHz and the power is limited so that "peak emissions cannot exceed 0 dBm" (at 4.5 meters from the antenna mast). In the post above I also provided my calculations that linked that level to the TSA claim of ~1/100000 of a cell phone.

I did not post a single link to wikipedia in any of this discussion; in fact, I disputed the links from wikipedia used by another poster.
I used a bit of hyperbole and for good reason. Radiation is radiation and to say that any device does not emit radiation is an error. There are different types of radiation and all cause damage.
Sound is radiation. Sound at a sufficient power will cause immediate, traumatic damage; a few moments exposure can rupture your eardrums. But most of us are exposed to sound all day long at significantly lower levels and there is no damage as a result. Light is radiation. Staring directly into a powerful light will cause immediate, traumatic damage to your retina. But most of us are exposed to lower levels of light all day long without any appreciable damage. In the same way, high-power radiofrequency energy (standing too near a television tower, putting a kitten in the microwave) will cause immediate, traumatic damage. But we are exposed to lower levels of radiofrequency energy all day long, from television and radio station transmitters, cell phone towers, WiFi, remote controls, and thousands of other things people don't even know about, without any damage. Immediate, traumatic damage from high-powered radio transmitters is due to thermal heating of tissue and burning; at levels lower than that which causes thermal heating, there is no mechanism for damage. And like other thermal effects, it is not cumulative. I might have a warm bath every evening, but it doesn't add up to the effect of getting into boiling water.

The health effects of x-rays, however, are cumulative, as they directly affect DNA. Yeah, I'm just a random person on the internet, so here's the FCC again (pdf warning) ; I hope that's authoritative enough:
Originally Posted by FCC publication, page 5
Ionization is a process by which electrons are stripped from atoms and molecules. This process can produce molecular changes that can lead to damage in biological tissue, including effects on DNA, the genetic material. This process requires interaction with photons containing high energy levels, such as those of X-rays and gamma rays. A single quantum event (absorption of an X-ray or gamma-ray photon) can cause ionization and subsequent biological damage due to the high energy content of the photon, which would be in excess of 10 eV (considered to be the minimum photon energy capable of causing ionization). Therefore, X-rays and gamma rays are examples of ionizing radiation. Ionizing radiation is also associated with the generation of nuclear energy, where it is often simply referred to as "radiation."

The photon energies of RF electromagnetic waves are not great enough to cause the ionization of atoms and molecules and RF energy is, therefore, characterized as non-ionizing radiation, along with visible light, infrared radiation and other forms of electromagnetic radiation with relatively low frequencies. It is important that the terms "ionizing" and "non-ionizing" not be confused when discussing biological effects of electromagnetic radiation or energy, since the mechanisms of interaction with the human body are quite different.
That damage is increased based on frequency, time and power.
Not quite. High enough power of anything will cause damage. Lower power at radio frequencies, even for long periods of time, will not. Long time exposures at x-ray frequencies is likely to cause damage. Or so the FCC says, see above.
You have not specified the frequency or the power of the units.
No, the manufacturer has specified the frequency and power in filings to the FCC, as I linked above (okay, here it is again: http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/procee...me=da%2004-373) I merely quoted it. The manufacturer could've lied to the FCC but that would be pretty counterproductive.
Also cellphones are not 2GHZ.
Funny, I had dinner this week with many of the people who wrote the 3G standard. If 3G (third generation) cell phones are not 2 GHz, those carriers in Germany and the UK and elsewhere who spent billions buying spectrum at 2 GHz (pdf warning) are going to be really, really mad. As will the American companies who paid $21 million for, according to the FCC, 1.71 - 1.755 and 2.11 - 2.155 GHz:
Originally Posted by FCC about 3G
The wireless industry has seen explosive growth in the demand for both voice and data services over the past several years. The number of mobile telephone subscribers, as well as usage rates, has grown considerably, and carriers have been upgrading their networks with advanced technologies in order to deploy both high-quality voice services and innovative data services.
In order to keep pace with this growth and provide additional spectrum for providers, the Commission is currently working to draft rules, auction, and license additional spectrum, labeled AWS, that can be used to offer a variety of wireless services, including Third Generation ("3G") mobile broadband and advanced wireless services.
In November 2003, the Commission created service rules for 90 megahertz of AWS spectrum at 1710-1755 and 2110-2155 MHz.
Also here (pdf again): http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/aws...wsbandplan.pdf

Or, for reliable sources, how about the International Telecommunication Union, a specialized agency of the United Nations, which, among other things, sets international framework for radio spectrum usage. LINK

Originally Posted by International Telecommunication Union
Additional spectrum for IMT-2000 third generation mobile systems
The three bands identified for use by IMT-2000 include one below 1 GHz, another at 1.7 GHz where most of the second-generation systems currently operate to facilitate the evolution, over time, of these systems to third generation, and a third band in the 2.5 GHz range. These complement the band in the 2 GHz range already identified for IMT-2000.
Hyperbole isn't the same as "just making stuff up" and yeah, maybe you can point out what actual data facts you've provided.

Sorry, there are MANY MANY good reasons to oppose the MMW scanners, starting with the 4th amendment (which should be sufficient reason in itself) and going on to the ineffectiveness, the cost, the risk for having your things stolen, and the unnecessary embarrassment it causes for people with innocuous medical devices. But scare-mongering about non-existent health risks just makes the community look foolish.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
[snipped a bunch of really good stuff to which I take no exceptions]

Sound is radiation. Sound at a sufficient power will cause immediate, traumatic damage; a few moments exposure can rupture your eardrums. But most of us are exposed to sound all day long at significantly lower levels and there is no damage as a result.
You are in my area of expertise.

Sound is not "radiation." It is radiated pressure waves, usually air. It can be in water (the reason we hear sounds in the pool), in solids (the reason we listen for noises in our engine with a long screwdriver, or some of us do), or any media. It is the reason that we can not hear in a vacuum, there is no medium in which the waves can propagate. The higher the pressure (louder the noise) the greater the damage. It is the reason the eardrums rupture. It is a mechanical phenomena, not a RF one.

Light is radiation.

[Clipped the rest, more good stuff]
Correct.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
You are in my area of expertise.

Sound is not "radiation." It is radiated pressure waves, usually air. It can be in water (the reason we hear sounds in the pool), in solids (the reason we listen for noises in our engine with a long screwdriver, or some of us do), or any media. It is the reason that we can not hear in a vacuum, there is no medium in which the waves can propagate. The higher the pressure (louder the noise) the greater the damage. It is the reason the eardrums rupture. It is a mechanical phenomena, not a RF one.

Correct.
What you define as "radiation" seems to be limited to electromagnetic radiation only, but that is not the only kind of "radiation" strictly speaking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.