FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Changes to Freedom and Unlimited, new Freedom Flex card & strategies (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2024266-changes-freedom-unlimited-new-freedom-flex-card-strategies.html)

DeltaNeutral28 Oct 20, 2020 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 32761197)
In any case, it's simple to create a calendar reminder.

I mean before you apply. As in, I'm trying to space out applications.

Duke787 Oct 20, 2020 9:33 pm

Grabbed the Freedom Flex tonight -- approved online with a $21k credit line.

I am way under 5/24 (we bought a house last year and I refinanced my student loan right after that closed so needless to say I stayed away from CC churning leading up to that) and this will fit in nicely with the CFU and Chase Freedom (which will mostly sit in a drawer now).

CFU remains my everyday spender, CSR will take the place of my AMEX EveryDay for my grocery spend, and then Freedom and Freedom Flex based on rotating categories.

And I think I'll take advantage of the 0% APR for 15 months on the Chase Freedom Flex to grab a Peloton and effectively let Chase do the financing (albeit on a shorter timeframe) instead of Peloton/Affirm. Now how to transact the Peloton via PayPal to snag the 5x while I'm at it...(will need to investigate the PayPal Key mentioned above).

mia Oct 20, 2020 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 32762080)
...., CSR will take the place of my AMEX EveryDay for my grocery spend, .....

I believe Flex earns 5 points per dollar on groceries for the first year?

Duke787 Oct 20, 2020 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 32762098)

Duh...great point...

RNE Oct 21, 2020 8:32 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 32762098)

Correct. Up to $12k spend.

ou5603 Oct 21, 2020 9:29 am

Things like this will make me hesitant to use UR travel portal, especially for airline. hotels may be ok. I would just use CSR for the trip insurance.

pudewen Oct 23, 2020 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Beetlesauce (Post 32759888)
Transaction closed Oct 9th. Statement closed and generated Oct 15th. No extra 3.5% posted anywhere.

In fact my Chase dashboard shows "+3.5% on Ultimate Rewards travel 0 pts $0" and also "You don't have any recent Ultimate Rewards travel activity at this time."

I just did a flight purchase that shows up the same way as it did for you (as a purchase with the airline). BUT, if I look at my Rewards Activity, under "your most recent activity" there is a tab titled "Bonus on Ultimate Reward Travel" where the 3.5x bonus shows up correctly. Haven't hit the statement yet, so don't know for sure what will happen, but they definitely have a record of it and my "pending rewards" seem to be the right number for receiving a 5x bonus. Seems like it's treated more like a shopping portal bonus than the normal multiplier based on purchase type.

mhdena Oct 31, 2020 9:44 am

For anyone with a Freedom Flex converted or applied for, are the monthly Chase offers appearing on this card?
Starbucks, Rite Aid, Fubo, Showtime, etc.

I want to do the Fubo and probably before I convert my Freedom which was a MC 16 yrs ago.

rasheed Oct 31, 2020 11:40 am

I had a new Flex and it was not appearing in the Offers drop down of cards I have with Chase. Now, it is there, but no offers yet.

ecs0013 Oct 31, 2020 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena (Post 32785220)
For anyone with a Freedom Flex converted or applied for, are the monthly Chase offers appearing on this card?
Starbucks, Rite Aid, Fubo, Showtime, etc.

It took awhile, but they started showing up again this week (I converted mine on day 1).

mhdena Oct 31, 2020 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by ecs0013 (Post 32785696)
It took awhile, but they started showing up again this week (I converted mine on day 1).

Does the cardmember since still show on the Flex card? And does it have the raised embossed numbers on the front or printed on the back?

I Love to Travel Oct 31, 2020 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena (Post 32785960)
Does the cardmember since still show on the Flex card? And does it have the raised embossed numbers on the front or printed on the back?

Yes, original "Cardmember since" year shows up on the card. Card has raised embossed numbers on the front and Chase offers do show up. This is a converted Flex.

ecs0013 Oct 31, 2020 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena (Post 32785960)

Yep, retained the same year and everything is embossed on the front. The best way to describe it is like the prior Freedom with a slightly different blue pattern and a Mastercard logo.

Edit: I opened this on my phone with the intent to reply and didn't see I Love to Travel chime in when I replied.

Duke787 Nov 1, 2020 11:38 am

Definitely has the same cardmember since as the other cards. Appears to be tied to when you actually acquired the card instead of when you first got a Chase Freedom product (like AMEX where they use your earliest date).

That means mine shows 2020 on the Flex vs. my CFU that says since 2014 and my regular Freedom that says 2013

trikotret Nov 6, 2020 11:34 am

Anyone able to PC from freedom unlimited to flex? I found DP online that it's possible so I called Chase to do it. I spoke two different reps and each rep has a different answer. The first one days l said I can't PC cause flex is a MasterCard and I have a Visa. The second rep said I can't do the PC cause both cards have the same benefits. I told him mine doesn't have 5% categories. He said to apply instead. 🤷🏻‍♂️

ayee007 Nov 9, 2020 4:50 pm

Hi All,

I have both the Freedom Unlimited and Freedom card, and I'd like to apply for the Freedom Flex to get the signup bonus. My girlfriend also wants to get the Freedom Flex as well. Can I use my Chase refer-a-friend link to refer her using my old Freedom for her to get the Freedom Flex, then have her send me a refer-a-friend link for me to get the Freedom Flex as a new customer of the card? Is there anything against the T&C in this thought process?

CaptJOB Nov 10, 2020 12:39 am

Originally Posted by trikotret (Post 32800625)
Anyone able to PC from freedom unlimited to flex? I found DP online that it's possible so I called Chase to do it. I spoke two different reps and each rep has a different answer. The first one days l said I can't PC cause flex is a MasterCard and I have a Visa. The second rep said I can't do the PC cause both cards have the same benefits. I told him mine doesn't have 5% categories. He said to apply instead. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I converted my CFU to a Flex today with no issues. Gotta HUCA

JJ804 Nov 11, 2020 1:08 pm

If I convert my Freedom Unlimited to a Flex, will it be possible for me to convert the Flex back to a UR-earning Visa in the future, or am I stuck with the Flex since it's a Mastercard?

rapatelrocky Nov 11, 2020 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by ayee007 (Post 32808539)
Hi All,

I have both the Freedom Unlimited and Freedom card, and I'd like to apply for the Freedom Flex to get the signup bonus. My girlfriend also wants to get the Freedom Flex as well. Can I use my Chase refer-a-friend link to refer her using my old Freedom for her to get the Freedom Flex, then have her send me a refer-a-friend link for me to get the Freedom Flex as a new customer of the card? Is there anything against the T&C in this thought process?

Definitely should be done that way to maximize your UR.. I know freedom unlimited works for generating referral. Regular freedom should work too, but if not just use your unlimited to refer to her then she can refer you using the flex.

ecs0013 Dec 15, 2020 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by JJ804 (Post 32813045)
If I convert my Freedom Unlimited to a Flex, will it be possible for me to convert the Flex back to a UR-earning Visa in the future, or am I stuck with the Flex since it's a Mastercard?

I'm kind of curious if anyone else had some second-thoughts on the Flex and PC'd to the CFU. Most recently, Chase's 5% quarters haven't been as useful to max out (or get close) for me and I'm wondering if PCing to a CFU would make more sense to have a Visa and card for dining. Q1 2020 and Q2 2020 were good, as they went well with Discover, Q3 2020 and Q4 2020 weren't, as I don't use Amazon or Walmart much (swore off PayPal years ago after a bad experience). Q1 2021 doesn't seem bad, but even then, unless I'm prepaying phone and internet, the streaming won't be that much.

While the SUB for a new CFU is attractive, I'm not sure I want to add another account right now. I wasn't sure if the CFF was like the Citi Costco Anywhere Visa where you can PC in, but then you're stuck.

RNE Dec 22, 2020 2:05 pm

The Grocery Bonus for the Chase Freedom Flex and Freedom Unlimited Ending Jan 13

https://www.cnbc.com/select/chase-fr...2013%2C%202021.

Edit: This deadline applies solely to new applicants. Anyone who has the grocery benefit now will retain it for 12 months after account opening.

Diplomatico Dec 22, 2020 2:28 pm

We're talking about new applications here, correct?

If one has already obtained the Freedom Flex, for example, the grocery bonus is not "ending Jan 13"; it should continue until the first year card anniversary or $12K limit.

Happy Dec 22, 2020 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 32905596)

Have you ACTUALLY read the full content? They are talking about the new cards which apparently the offers END on January 13th - hence the last chance to get that bonus spend if you haven't applied the new cards yet, would be Jan 13th, the date the offers end.

RNE Dec 24, 2020 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 32905643)
We're talking about new applications here, correct?

Yes. Thanks. I edited my post.

ithinkurdumb Feb 9, 2021 7:38 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 32674775)
Can the Chase co-branded IHG MasterCards be added to mobile wallets?

Probably not on topic as this thread is about Freedom, but I was able to add my new IHG Premier card to Apple Pay. I also tried to add the IHG Select (which I received the contactless card a few weeks ago), and it worked too! The cards don't show up in the list of cards that can be added to Apple Pay in the Chase app, but manually entering the card information worked.

I've tried to add the chip version of the Premier and Select cards before and never succeeded. Perhaps it changed with the contactless transition.

serpens Feb 9, 2021 9:11 am

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb (Post 33025685)
Perhaps it changed with the contactless transition.

I'm not sure when it changed, but it was some months ago and definitely preceded the first tap-to-pay notice that I received.

ecs0013 Feb 9, 2021 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by serpens (Post 33025996)
I'm not sure when it changed, but it was some months ago and definitely preceded the first tap-to-pay notice that I received.

Yeah, although time has been a bit...interesting...to keep track of lately, I want to say Chase added Mastercard (IHG was the notable ones) support for Apple Pay and Google Pay something in July/August of last year. By the time the Flex was introduced, it was working.

EkekoBWI Feb 14, 2021 10:37 am

Got the spend bonus for CFU. Already consolidated the points to my CSR and then spent them on the exact itin I wanted. Disappointed Amazon Fresh doesn't count as grocery spend. Instead, looks it's time to get some Amazon GCs at Safeway at 5% off.

SPN Lifer Feb 19, 2021 11:27 pm

It looks like the Chase Freedom Unlimited is currently offering a sign-up bonus of $200, which seems good for a no-annual-fee Visa vard. Is that as good as it gets?

EkekoBWI Feb 19, 2021 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 33049228)
It looks like the Chase Freedom Unlimited is currently offering a sign-up bonus of $200, which seems good for a no-annual-fee Visa vard. Is that as good as it gets?

You've missed the annual grocery bonus by a month, when it was retired. Still a good CC, but had been better.

bgriff Feb 20, 2021 6:38 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 33049228)

That’s the standard offer for this card. There have occasionally been slightly better offers, but they haven’t really come up on a predictable schedule so may or may not be worth waiting. If you know someone who has any Freedom card already they can also refer you so they get some points in addition to your 20k.

DeltaNeutral28 Jan 25, 2022 6:29 am

Does Chase offer a Grocery tracker (for the first $12,000 in spend) for the first 12 months for the CFF and CFU ?

ecs0013 Jan 25, 2022 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb (Post 33025685)
Probably not on topic as this thread is about Freedom, but I was able to add my new IHG Premier card to Apple Pay. I also tried to add the IHG Select (which I received the contactless card a few weeks ago), and it worked too! The cards don't show up in the list of cards that can be added to Apple Pay in the Chase app, but manually entering the card information worked.

I think it's a Chase/Mastercard quirk in general (same with the Freedom Flex) in that you can't add it via the Chase app, but can if you do it through the Wallet app. Prior to summer 2020 (before Freedom Flex was a thing), I don't think you could even add the IHG cards to Apple Pay. This seems to be similar to the Ink cards (although they're Visas).

ithinkurdumb Jan 28, 2022 3:16 am

Originally Posted by ecs0013 (Post 33934933)
I think it's a Chase/Mastercard quirk in general (same with the Freedom Flex) in that you can't add it via the Chase app, but can if you do it through the Wallet app. Prior to summer 2020 (before Freedom Flex was a thing), I don't think you could even add the IHG cards to Apple Pay. This seems to be similar to the Ink cards (although they're Visas).

That's correct. Chase used to allow only personal Visa cards to be added to mobile wallets, but that changed (for both business Visa and Mastercards) around February last year.

EkekoBWI Jan 29, 2022 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 (Post 33933487)
Does Chase offer a Grocery tracker (for the first $12,000 in spend) for the first 12 months for the CFF and CFU ?

Yes, on the Chase website you can track CC spending by category, including groceries.

movie42buff Jun 25, 2022 1:55 pm

Freedom FLEX 5% Grocery first year bonus

Does anyone know if the 1sr year Grocery bonus will come back? I’ve been trying to track them and I think the grocery bonus went away in Jan/22, and switched to Gas. Just wondering if it comes and goes every 6 months or something.

mia Jun 25, 2022 5:06 pm

Flex was introduced less than a year ago in August 2021 2020.I don't think there is sufficient history to see a pattern.

RNE Jun 26, 2022 11:40 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 34369253)
Flex was introduced less than a year ago in August 2021.I don't think there is sufficient history to see a pattern.

In fact, Freedom Flex was announced on August 31, 2020, and became available on September 15, 2020.

Chase Media Center: Freedom Flex Credit Card

rasheed Jun 29, 2022 9:29 am

Yep, waiting a few more months for this credit inquiry for Flex to drop off.

LAX Jul 3, 2022 5:21 pm

I just want to double check before I PC my CSP. Both the Flex and unlimited get 3X on restaurants, but the Flex gets 5x quarterly bonus in rotating categories and Unlimited gets 1.5x everything, correct?

LAX