Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Proprietary Sapphire Reserve directly competes with United Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR

“Sapphire Reserve Strains JPMorgan’s Ties With United Airlines

Bank faces tough balancing act: promoting its own card while keeping happy airline partner that wants more money for miles”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sapphire-reserve-strains-jpmorgans-ties-with-united-airlines-11561627802

I have both cards and heading favorably in the CSR direction due to the considerable perks. I may keep the United card though given the paid bags outweighing the annual fee.

Last edited by vanillabean; Jun 27, 2019 at 9:39 am Reason: Title clarification
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:12 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

True, this! Unfortunately I can't access the article because I'm not a subscriber, but I get the gist. The writing was on the wall 2 years ago, when consumers massively KEPT their CSR's at renewal time. Our household downgraded 3 United cards to the fee free version, and kept the CSRs. It doesn't help that United award flights got so tremendously expensive to redeem. I like long haul business class, and its become a slow trek to get enough points to find a motivating redemption. By leaving the points parked at Chase as UR's, I'm not locked in.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
The solution seems simple - allow credit card holders to earn PQM at various spending thresholds like Delta/AMEX do
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
United executives have told JPMorgan they believe the Sapphire Reserve card is competing directly with the airline’s cards and siphoning off customer spending, according to people familiar with the matter
UA is OK with Chase issuing cards for other airlines, but not with Chase promoting its own rewards program? Simple enough to fix. UA can:

• withdraw from Ultimate Rewards
  • cap annual transfers from UR to UA
  • change the UR to UA transfer ratio

Any one of these changes would encourage people who want to accumulate UA miles to use a UA co-branded card.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mia
UA is OK with Chase issuing cards for other airlines, but not with Chase promoting its own rewards program? Simple enough to fix. UA can:
Any one of these changes would encourage people who want to accumulate UA miles to use a UA co-branded card.
the article mentions that Citi hasn’t been able to get AA to become a TYP transfer partner, so I guess they saw the writing on the wall. The question here is: when does UA’s transfer partner contract expire?
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by mia
Simple enough to fix. UA can:

And/or increase earn rate on UA card spending.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:17 pm

I don't know exactly how these co-branded cards work, but somebody nerfed the 40% points bonus for spending at least $25K / year on the Explorer card. That was a nice incentive to keep the card in one's wallet (Guess they thought the 2x for dining was a suitable replacement). The Amex/Delta and Citi/Barclays/American cards, as weak as they are, offer incentives for actually using their cards. What did UA expect? Were we supposed to use their cards out of the kindness of our hearts?
Adelphos and cuthroat like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
At least CSR holders have an idea of what their TYPs are worth. UA miles are black-boxed value; you have no real incentive to compile them. That is purely United's fault. As ye sow, so shall ye reap.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
At least CSR holders have an idea of what their TYPs are worth. UA miles are black-boxed value; you have no real incentive to compile them. That is purely United's fault. As ye sow, so shall ye reap.
TL;DR: it appears UA's overall strategy is minimizing point liability instead of driving incremental revenue from increased reward value

I think Bear is correct, big picture. The reason transferable points are gaining value so rapidly (and thus tilting the balance of value between bank cards and co-branded cards) is the rapid devaluation of individual award currencies. UA will push that for themselves even further with dynamic pricing, and have to use band-aids like pulling away from UR as a transfer partner. IMHO it's undoubtedly the right idea, if you're thinking short-term solutions to issues caused by your overall strategy, just like cutting benefits for CC users cuts costs. But that's all based on a strategy of minimizing the liabilities for point spend instead of incentivizing incremental revenue from increased CC or flight revenue.

I'm sure for us as consumers it will get worse (at least with the oligopoly airlines; smaller carriers may still sell loyalty value) before it gets better.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

the article mentions that Citi hasn’t been able to get AA to become a TYP transfer partner, so I guess they saw the writing on the wall. The question here is: when does UA’s transfer partner contract expire?
And yet somehow Delta seems to be making it work with Amex, despite Skymiles being even more devalued than MP and MR being at least comparable to UR. Maybe United should try copying Delta and add some benefits to their cobrand cards that are actually valuable to frequent flyers. Or does the “Copy Delta” chapter in the management handbook only cover devaluations?
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by WrightHI

And yet somehow Delta seems to be making it work with Amex, despite Skymiles being even more devalued than MP and MR being at least comparable to UR. Maybe United should try copying Delta and add some benefits to their cobrand cards that are actually valuable to frequent flyers. Or does the “Copy Delta” chapter in the management handbook only cover devaluations?
No, it covers price increases too.
RaginPlainsman likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I haven't read the WSJ article since it's behind a pay wall.

But supposedly a lot of this discontent is coming from Kirby, who supposedly is the one who negotiated the current deal in 2015 with Chase which runs to 2025.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:27 pm

Great article. United supposedly has asked chase to pay more for its miles. When the sapphire reserve came out, United cards dropped. Mileage plus was 55% of carrier revenue.

For me the chase United is a keeper. Two lounge passes worth $10 each, can use card to defeat basic economy- three one way segment per year pays for itself. Used to use the primary car rental insurance but duplicated with chase sapphire and us bank altitude reserve.

Once I’m under 5/24 will get business version and drop personal explorer card. Business version is tax deductible, so effective $60 annual fee- two one way segments in basic economy to come out ahead.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wco81
I haven't read the WSJ article since it's behind a pay wall.

But supposedly a lot of this discontent is coming from Kirby, who supposedly is the one who negotiated the current deal in 2015 with Chase which runs to 2025.
Was he moonlighting? In 2015 he was still working for AA
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
.... Business version is tax deductible,....
The marketing label that a card issuer sticks on a card does not determine if the cost qualifies as a deductible expense. It's how the card is used that is important.
krazykanuck and GUWonder like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.