Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Help a Newbie book a Honeymoon to Bali with UR points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Planning a honeymoon trip in late September to Bali. Looking for advice on how to maximize using credit card points (Chase Reserve).

Last edited by wiggums2106; Feb 11, 2019 at 11:32 am Reason: clarification
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:15 am

Earning or spending?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Spending
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wiggums2106
Planning a honeymoon trip in late September to Bali. Looking for advice on how to maximize using credit card points (Chase Reserve).
Spending
From where?
What ff miles do you have?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngurah...tional_Airport

Chase UR Ultimate Rewards - Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners, Rules, Timeline, etc (2017)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Will leaving from STL. I have no preference on airline but would if possible get business/first, though not likely.
The ideal trip would be STL ->DPS returning DPS->CLT->STL. Would like to stop in CLT for a wedding when returning without having to go DPS>STL>CLT>STL. (Complicated I know)
I have accounts all of UR FF partners.
185K UR​​​​​​
1000 AA
1390 United

Last edited by wiggums2106; Feb 11, 2019 at 4:47 pm Reason: incorrect airport code
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:27 pm

Will leaving from STL. I have no preference on airline but would if possible get business/first, though not likely.
The ideal trip would be STL ->DSP returning DSP->CLT->STL. Would like to stop in CLT for a wedding when returning without having to go DSP>STL>CLT>STL. (Complicated I know)
I have accounts all of UR FF partners.
185K UR​​​​​​
1000 AA
1390 United
DSP? which airport is that?

Bali Denapaser is DPS
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Yes, DPS - Bali
Excuse the typo.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:47 pm

So I can't really give you a whole heap of advice about spending your miles going to Bali from STL. If you want a really once only experience I can recommend travelling an Asian carrier to Bali (or middle eastern). My preference (I would say I am biased) would be to try to fly Singapore Airlines First or Suites class. The service on SQ is generally top notch, and while it's been complained about being a bit robotic, I'm ok with that
What this would likely mean is that you take a flight to LA/SF and then take the one stopper to Singapore (via Korea or Japan if memory serves me correctly) and then on to Bali.
This would also be an opportunity for you to stop off in Singapore to try our "Disney with the death penalty"
In terms of getting there with regards to points, my suggestion is to book your short haul to LA/SF using cash and also pre-book your hotels. You can then use the points you earn on those on your flights.
However, bear in mind that redemption on SQ first/suites is very difficult.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
What might be helpful is if you see what airlines fly directly into DPS and from what cities. Wikipedia is usually a good resource for this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngurah...tional_Airport

Then, you can see if it's a simple flight from a major gateway (SIN, HKG, NRT/HND, ICN, TPE, etc). Hopefully you can get to one of those with no more than one stop at a US gateway city (LAX, SFO, SEA, etc). At best, from STL, it's likely a 2-stop trip. The overwater segment is the key. Your domestic US trip is relatively short. Depending on whether you connect in North/East Asia or Southeast Asia, that segment can vary in length. For me, the driver is usually getting the longest leg of the journey on miles/points and filling in the connector flight. If the connector flight isn't available in premium class, I'm usually OK with a mixed cabin award. Or, just buying a cheap one-way flight, if such things are available.
roundtree likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:58 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk, wiggums2106! I am moving your question and several responses to the Chase | Ultimate Rewards forum for more advice. Please continue discussion there.

NewbieRunner
Senior Moderator
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by OskiBear
What might be helpful is if you see what airlines fly directly into DPS and from what cities. Wikipedia is usually a good resource for this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngurah...tional_Airport

Then, you can see if it's a simple flight from a major gateway (SIN, HKG, NRT/HND, ICN, TPE, etc). Hopefully you can get to one of those with no more than one stop at a US gateway city (LAX, SFO, SEA, etc). At best, from STL, it's likely a 2-stop trip. The overwater segment is the key. Your domestic US trip is relatively short. Depending on whether you connect in North/East Asia or Southeast Asia, that segment can vary in length. For me, the driver is usually getting the longest leg of the journey on miles/points and filling in the connector flight. If the connector flight isn't available in premium class, I'm usually OK with a mixed cabin award. Or, just buying a cheap one-way flight, if such things are available.
Good advice.
Last year we flew ORD ICN DPS by Lorean Air (delta miles). LAte arrival in DPS.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:21 am
Original Poster

SQTraveller & OksiBear
Thank you both for advice and information.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:31 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Welcome to FT, @Wigums2106

Our web site is quite detailed, and you can dig through the destination forum for information on Bali, as well as garner tips here in the Chase forum for booking tickets using Ultimate Reward points.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:50 am
Community Director Emerita

It would be helpful to know how many points you have so that the advice can be realistic.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I recommend starting with the Award Maximizer:

https://www.travelcodex.com/award-maximizer/

That will help you see which points programs can help you reach your goal. Take the other advice you've received about using points for the long haul segments and pay cash for the positioning flights. That will stretch your points and still give you flexibility in your outbound and inbound airports for the long haul segment.

I'm curious if the AA and UA point totally are really so small, or those should be in thousands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.