Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

JPMorgan offers 60,000 points to sign up for its new Sapphire bank account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/chase-is-now-offering-points-on-a-checking-account-but-theres-a-big-catch-2018-09-14

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/13/news/companies/chase-sapphire-banking/index.html

April 2019: sweetened offer requires 45 days to earn points plus 45 additional days to hold money in account:

https://accounts.chase.com/consumer/banking/online/sapphireUR

Online application

Customers must make at least $75,000 in new deposits, or in investments, to qualify. Those investments must be kept at Chase and cannot be retirement investments. If customers meet those requirements, they will also get access to a new digital investment platform called YouInvest by JPMorgan, which gives commission-free stock and ETF trades with $0 account minimums.
  • You need a Sapphire or Freedom credit card to be eligible
  • You need to hit the minimum balance within 45 days and maintain it for 90 days
  • You need to leave the money in the account for 6 months
  • Offer extended to March 5 2019
  • As of 4/22/19, Chase.com had an expiration date of 6/15/19 and 90 days duration for the 60,000 UR promotion. https://accounts.chase.com/consumer/banking/online/sapphireUR
Customers who maintain $75,000 in qualifying deposits or investments receive:
  • No fees on ATMs worldwide, including refunds on fees charged by non-Chase ATM owners
  • No fees on everyday banking, including foreign exchange fees, outgoing wire transfers and stop payments
  • Higher ATM withdrawal limits
  • Commission-free stock and ETF trades (new You Invest platform)
Accounts that do not maintain a $75,000 average balance incur a $25 monthly fee.
Print Wikipost

JPMorgan offers 60,000 points to sign up for its new Sapphire bank account

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Originally Posted by manuvns
here is the announcement on chase website

https://media.chase.com/news/chase-i...pphire-banking
Good info. Any day Chase...

"with the exact date to be announced shortly"
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Looks like it's live now. Chase Sapphire Banking Offer

HT to DOC.
flyguy6 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
60,000 Ultimate Rewards points will be posted to the primary cardmember's account up to 45 days after qualifying for the offer. Credit card product changes during the promotional period or prior to the fulfillment of the bonus will forfeit this bonus offer. This offer is not transferable, and is subject to change. Chase credit cards are issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A.

The Ultimate Rewards bonus points transferred to you under the terms of the Program are considered miscellaneous income received from Chase, and may be reportable to you and the IRS on Form 1099-INT (or Form 1042-S, if applicable) for the year in which the points are posted to your account. You are responsible for any tax liability related to participating in the program. Please consult your tax advisor if you have any questions about your personal tax situation.
...and yet Chase still does not disclose the value that they attach to the point for reporting purposes.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:17 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by mia
...and yet Chase still does not disclose the value that they attach to the point for reporting purposes.
$0.01/pt. This is the official Chase rate of UR point. This is the same rate how they reward the Freedom cash vs point.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:29 am
Original Poster

The way I view it is that at $75,000 you can instead put this in a 2.15% high yield interest rate account like citizens access or purepoint and yield about $390 for those 90 days that you have to place in the chase account. Compare that to the 60,000 miles you get which is equal to about $600. So your net gain is about $200 -- so how much trouble do you want to net out only $200
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:31 am

Not sure your math is right on that - it's 75k across Chase accounts, so your money would be in a You Invest account earning 2.19% in VMMXX or similar money market fund.

Originally Posted by Brian Chen
The way I view it is that at $75,000 you can instead put this in a 2.15% high yield interest rate account like citizens access or purepoint and yield about $390 for those 90 days that you have to place in the chase account. Compare that to the 60,000 miles you get which is equal to about $600. So your net gain is about $200 -- so how much trouble do you want to net out only $200
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
I think most people would value the 60k UR at much more than $.01 . I would conservatively say $.018, over $1000 in travel. Plus all of the interests or investment profits made for 90 days.

Originally Posted by blargle
Not sure your math is right on that - it's 75k across Chase accounts, so your money would be in a You Invest account earning 2.19% in VMMXX or similar money market fund.
Exactly. It doesn't have to all be in the low interest rate checking account.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Oh wait, so it's across all accounts. Well that's an easier sell! Thanks for clarifying:

Within 45 calendar days, transfer a total of $75,000 or more in qualifying new money or securities to a combination of eligible checking, savings and/or J.P. Morgan investment accounts (excluding insurance products; fixed and variable annuities; 529 College Savings Plans; any retirement accounts including but not limited to Traditional and Roth IRAs, Keogh, Simple IRAs, and 401(k) Plans).
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:19 pm
Suspended

The wrong way of thinking.

You need to think about your opportunity cost. Where is the money you are moving? What rate you earning now? If you are earning 2% with that money and you are earning 1% with Chase, then you lose 1% and earn the 60k URs. If you earn the same rate of 2% or 5%, then you just net earn the 60k URs with no additional cost.

Also, you receive all the Chase banking benefits.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Ya, that was exactly how I was thinking, but the other posters made a good point that you can continue to invest in a money market fund rather than their 0.01% savings rate

Originally Posted by RedSun
The wrong way of thinking.

You need to think about your opportunity cost. Where is the money you are moving? What rate you earning now? If you are earning 2% with that money and you are earning 1% with Chase, then you lose 1% and earn the 60k URs. If you earn the same rate of 2% or 5%, then you just net earn the 60k URs with no additional cost.

Also, you receive all the Chase banking benefits.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Ya, that was exactly how I was thinking, but the other posters made a good point that you can continue to invest in a money market fund rather than their 0.01% savings rate
Sure, what is your gain and what is your loss? Combine together, you get the idea.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RedSun
$0.01/pt. This is the official Chase rate of UR point. This is the same rate how they reward the Freedom cash vs point.
I agree that $0.01 is likely, but where is it documented that this is the rate that Chase uses when issuing 1099's? Last year Chase offer points for taking a mortgage, SOMEONE must have done this and received a 1099 in 2018 for 2017.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:40 am

Does anyone have experience buying Treasury bills through Chase's Youvest site? I notice that it says in the terms and conditions that they are commission free but I was just curious how well it works in practice. It seems to me that with the 1 month t-bill currently paying around 2.2% it could make sense to redirect money from online savings accounts to Chase to meet the minimum asset and time duration that way. Then again the whole thing could be too much hassle for the points.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by humanoid94
Does anyone have experience buying Treasury bills through Chase's Youvest site? I notice that it says in the terms and conditions that they are commission free but I was just curious how well it works in practice. It seems to me that with the 1 month t-bill currently paying around 2.2% it could make sense to redirect money from online savings accounts to Chase to meet the minimum asset and time duration that way. Then again the whole thing could be too much hassle for the points.
Per above, don't lock up your money on a 1 month tbill. Just buy a money market mutual fund or even a muni money market mutual fund that you can sell anytime and get similar yields.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:16 pm

Interesting discussion.

Presume you can open an investment account for free.
What does it cost to close a Chase investment account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.