Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

JPMorgan offers 60,000 points to sign up for its new Sapphire bank account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/chase-is-now-offering-points-on-a-checking-account-but-theres-a-big-catch-2018-09-14

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/13/news/companies/chase-sapphire-banking/index.html

April 2019: sweetened offer requires 45 days to earn points plus 45 additional days to hold money in account:

https://accounts.chase.com/consumer/banking/online/sapphireUR

Online application

Customers must make at least $75,000 in new deposits, or in investments, to qualify. Those investments must be kept at Chase and cannot be retirement investments. If customers meet those requirements, they will also get access to a new digital investment platform called YouInvest by JPMorgan, which gives commission-free stock and ETF trades with $0 account minimums.
  • You need a Sapphire or Freedom credit card to be eligible
  • You need to hit the minimum balance within 45 days and maintain it for 90 days
  • You need to leave the money in the account for 6 months
  • Offer extended to March 5 2019
  • As of 4/22/19, Chase.com had an expiration date of 6/15/19 and 90 days duration for the 60,000 UR promotion. https://accounts.chase.com/consumer/banking/online/sapphireUR
Customers who maintain $75,000 in qualifying deposits or investments receive:
  • No fees on ATMs worldwide, including refunds on fees charged by non-Chase ATM owners
  • No fees on everyday banking, including foreign exchange fees, outgoing wire transfers and stop payments
  • Higher ATM withdrawal limits
  • Commission-free stock and ETF trades (new You Invest platform)
Accounts that do not maintain a $75,000 average balance incur a $25 monthly fee.
Print Wikipost

JPMorgan offers 60,000 points to sign up for its new Sapphire bank account

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by RedSun
I just wonder why people do not like free stuff, but continue to pay Fidelity, E*Trade and Schwabs to trade? Even if $5 or $7. It still costs $$. The brokers can never compete with the large banks since they have to earn trading commissions, not like banks that make more $$ from your deposit.

If Fidelity or Schwabs ever offer free trades (even 100/year), I'd stay with them. But they only do that for the promotion.
Depending on your volume or quantity of trading, a large brokerage (i.e. Fidelity/Schwab) may have slightly faster execution or tighter spreads on orders, which may save you more money per-trade than the $5 fee.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:50 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Depending on your volume or quantity of trading, a large brokerage (i.e. Fidelity/Schwab) may have slightly faster execution or tighter spreads on orders, which may save you more money per-trade than the $5 fee.
Do you think JP Morgan trades less volume than Fidelity or Schwab? This is what the brokers always tell customers. They have nothing to prove the "may" save you money....
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Fidelity used to offer airline miles (60,000 miles?) to investors with new money. But it never offered real free trading like BA Merrill Edge or the new Chase offers. It did not even care how much $$$ you have with them. It only cares of the fresh $$ coming in. Some people kept moving $$$ in and out of Fidelity. So Fidelity finally gave up the mile promotion to attract fresh $$$.

Why can't it offer 50 or 100 free trades per year for good for the customers it really wants to keep? Investors have to keep calling them to beg them for free trades....
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Schwab also have some excellent Mutual Funds and ETF's that are theirs and trade for $0.
roundtree likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Schwab also have some excellent Mutual Funds and ETF's that are theirs and trade for $0.
I'll certainly beat that with Merrill and Chase free trading, and all other stocks, not just limited funds they benefit from.

Brokers can't compete with banks. So they had to promote their own mutual funds and related ETFs. So they get fees from those funds. Mutual funds management fees are much higher than most fees on ETFs.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:17 am

I'll certainly beat that with Merrill and Chase free trading, and all other stocks, not just limited funds they benefit from.

Brokers can't compete with banks. So they had to promote their own mutual funds and related ETFs. So they get fees from those funds. Mutual funds management fees are much higher than most fees on ETFs.
You can have accounts with both you know. Find me something that Chase has that competes with SWPPX.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:19 am

Hard to "beat" it unless Chase is going to pay you to trade. Did you read my comment? They trade for $0 with Schwab. You can also have a Schwab account and an account with Merrill and/or Chase. Unless you only have $75k to park and get the Chase benefits
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:38 am
Suspended

Sure, Schwab has SOME excellent... I have a brokerage account there. I do not get $0 trading for all stocks and ETFs, only the some which Schwab has a money stake in it.

Hard to "beat" it unless Chase is going to pay you to trade. Did you read my comment? They trade for $0 with Schwab. You can also have a Schwab account and an account with Merrill and/or Chase. Unless you only have $75k to park and get the Chase benefits
Sure, I get accounts at Fidelity, Schwab, Merrill, Vanguard, E*Trade, Wells Fargo, even the pro-level brokers. With the banks, not only you get some free trades, but you build a relationship and you get all the perks of the banking relationship. If I want to open or close a brokerage account, I can just email my relationship banker, instead of waiting over the phone for 20 minutes.

It is the same thing we get AmEx Plat or Chase CSR CCs. We all love free things and like to be treated wanted.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Do you think JP Morgan trades less volume than Fidelity or Schwab? This is what the brokers always tell customers. They have nothing to prove the "may" save you money....
I can't really speak for JPMorgan Chase, as I don't have an account with them. I also don't know how you inferred that I was claiming JPM traded greater volume than Fido/Schwab. I was merely stating that in some cases, paying a $5 trade fee can easily be offset by better pricing when your broker doesn't front-run your order.

Sure, Schwab has SOME excellent... I have a brokerage account there. I do not get $0 trading for all stocks and ETFs, only the some which Schwab has a money stake in it.

Sure, I get accounts at Fidelity, Schwab, Merrill, Vanguard, E*Trade, Wells Fargo, even the pro-level brokers. With the banks, not only you get some free trades, but you build a relationship and you get all the perks of the banking relationship. If I want to open or close a brokerage account, I can just email my relationship banker, instead of waiting over the phone for 20 minutes.
I think you're forgetting that Schwab is also a bank. Considering how low the expense ratio is on most index funds, and how little it costs to maintain them, I strongly doubt that banks/brokers are deriving enormous profits from that. If you're buying actively managed funds, maybe that's a different story -- I don't know what funds you have access to in a Chase brokerage account that you wouldn't have in a Fidelity or Schwab account though, and in many cases, the actively managed funds are run by the big brokers too (e.g. Fidelity Contrafund) so you wouldn't pay the commission there if you had an account with Fidelity in the first place.

Schwab has a fairly complete set of commission free ETFs and corresponding funds. Logically, if you're at Schwab it would make sense to hold Schwab ETFs and funds, the same as if you were at Vanguard or Fidelity. Being price sensitive is important, but ultimately it seems counterproductive to worry about 1 basis point difference in expense ratio after you account for tracking error.

I can't speak for Chase wrt whatever commission they charge on trades (do they charge a commission on trading ETFs?) -- you can get the same "relationship" at Schwab if you want. If I wanted to open or close a brokerage account, it takes about 10 minutes on the Fidelity/Schwab interface. If anything, I abhor talking to humans over the phone, so not having to call a human is a plus in my book. There's also Fidelity Premium Services or whatever it is they call it, though they're relatively expensive (0.5-1% annual management fee?)
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
I just spoke to a banker at a Chase about opening the account. He said the 60k bonus offer has not been released yet. He did not have much of the specifics on it and there seems to be more information on the news websites than the internal Chase communication channels. Apparently Chase is not communicating this well to the branches on this promotion. He said it might take until sometime in Oct before it is released but didn't know for sure.

I also found out the offer will be targeted to sapphire card holders who do not have Private Client accounts but is not a public offer open to anyone. There are supposed to be sending out invitation emails for the bonus, so hopefully I will qualify.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:37 pm

I've been thinking about switching to Chase - I wonder if I can use one of the mailers to get the $350 checking + savings bonus, open a CSP or CSR to get the 50k points bonus, open a Freedom Unlimited for that bonus, and then park an IRA at You Invest a few months later to get the Sapphire banking bonus.

Last edited by blargle; Sep 28, 2018 at 6:47 pm
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by blargle
I've been thinking about switching to Chase - I wonder if I can use one of the mailers to get the $350 checking + savings bonus, open a CSP or CSR to get the 50k points bonus, open a Freedom Unlimited for that bonus, and then park an IRA at You Invest a few months later to get the Sapphire banking bonus.
I started IRA transfers before the announcement with intent to sign up for CPC level. But after that announcement, I signed up for the $300 checking and $225 for savings (15k for 90 days), along with CSP for 50k and an AU for 5k. Opened with premier plus checking hoping to get the sapphire banking upgrade offer. Was told it will be selective upgrade offer and for non-banking sapphire card users. Was told that upgrade offer is different from sign-up bonus - so hoping to get that offer in October. But IRa transfers completed already after that.. not sure if I would get the offer, but if they say I need to add $75k more, I luckily still have that option since I had not transferred all of one of the sources.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rapatelrocky
I started IRA transfers before the announcement with intent to sign up for CPC level. But after that announcement, I signed up for the $300 checking and $225 for savings (15k for 90 days), along with CSP for 50k and an AU for 5k. Opened with premier plus checking hoping to get the sapphire banking upgrade offer. Was told it will be selective upgrade offer and for non-banking sapphire card users. Was told that upgrade offer is different from sign-up bonus - so hoping to get that offer in October. But IRa transfers completed already after that.. not sure if I would get the offer, but if they say I need to add $75k more, I luckily still have that option since I had not transferred all of one of the sources.
Great! Transfer more.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
I wouldn't transfer it all in yet, and then expect anything from Chase. Their algorithim might determine they already 'have' your funds.

Instead have balances somewhere near but not over the target amount, and wait, or ask a banker if you're eligible.

The financial services industry often treats new clients better than existing ones in these matters.

I'm considering using a YouInvest a/c to meet the Sapphire banking balance min btw., when the promotion gets rolled out.

If the UR are truly tax free, that will be a decent easy pickup, for the efforts on 1 ACAT and maybe a $50 account closeout fee.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:32 am

Chase outgoing ACAT fee is $75, but usually you can do a partial transfer out for free, sell the rest and transfer it out as cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.