Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

In 2018 Chase changed the outsourced booking portal operator from Connexions to Expedia. Posts from January to mid-October 2018 have been archived to a separate thread. Those posts discussed the portal as operated by Connexions, -and- the transition process to Expedia.

There is another thread to discuss booking by transferring to airline of hotel programs: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...tc-2017-a.html

Pay special attention to booking via Chase UR/Expedia with regard to rewards and benefits. Chase UR + Expedia is considered OTA (Online Travel Agency). Travelers purchase or pre-pay travel with the OTA and is subject to the T&C from the OTA. In general, travelers receive miles rewards on flights, but do not receive night credit on hotel stays. Also, in general, travelers lose the airline or hotel status and do not receive the associated benefits (free breakfast, room upgrade etc).

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

3.5) How to book cruises?
Chase outsources this to a travel agency specializing in cruises. (I believe they are available solely by telephone.) Agents there can book cruises for you using your URs for payments from initial deposit to final payment. It's also possible to transfer an existing cruise booking to that travel agency. That agency can then make payments (full or partial). However, to transfer a booking, there are some constraints to be aware of. A) The booking and deposit has to be made directly with the cruise line. If you use another agency, you're out of luck. B) The cruise lines limit the window when you can transfer a booking from their control to an agency's. It closes as early as 30 days after initial deposit up to final deposit due date (typically 75-120 prior to sail date) depending on the particular cruise line's rules (which are subject to change).

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve or JPMR card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

4.5) How do Refunds Work?
When cancelling a booking (and a refund is due), points will be added back to your UR balance and dollars will be refunded to the credit card account used.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2017, can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...14-2017-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
I am experiencing a maddening problem with the Chase Travel website powered by Expedia. Is anyone else seeing this?

First off, flight options show up or do not show up based on sheer luck. I refresh and flights appear; then refresh and they disappear. I can get flights I want to show up by specifying a Preferred Airline before I search (in the advanced options section).

But even if I see flights I want (with 4 at this price, for example), I cannot even purchase a single ticket without getting the error:

"Sorry
The fare you selected is no longer available. Please choose another flight."

The SAME flights are bookable at Expedia--no problem at all.

If you've ever tried to call Chase, you can imagine how the calls go. Completely impossible. They make all sorts of excuses about how the flights must be sold out and they cannot guarantee availability...but of course while I'm the phone, I can book (and then cancel) on Expedia.

The problems all seem to be with Star Alliance code share flights on Lufthansa/Austrian, but it could be more widespread.

If anyone has suggestions, or knowledge about how to get through to someone at Chase (powered by Expedia), I'd love to hear it!

Last edited by h8stn4d; Nov 12, 2019 at 1:35 pm
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by h8stn4d
I am experiencing a maddening problem with the Chase Travel website powered by Expedia. Is anyone else seeing this?

First off, flight options show up or do not show up based on sheer luck. I refresh and flights appear; then refresh and they disappear. I can get flights I want to show up by specifying a Preferred Airline before I search (in the advanced options section).

But even if I see flights I want (with 4 at this price, for example), I cannot even purchase a single ticket without getting the error:

"Sorry
The fare you selected is no longer available. Please choose another flight."

The SAME flights are bookable at Expedia--no problem at all.

If you've ever tried to call Chase, you can imagine how the calls go. Completely impossible. They make all sorts of excuses about how the flights must be sold out and they cannot guarantee availability...but of course while I'm the phone, I can book (and then cancel) on Expedia.

The problems all seem to be with Star Alliance code share flights on Lufthansa/Austrian, but it could be more widespread.

If anyone has suggestions, or knowledge about how to get through to someone at Chase (powered by Expedia), I'd love to hear it!
The agents see the same sort of screens as we do, with the same data. They have no power to do anything. I, too, have seen availability show up and disappear seemingly at random. Thankfully, I've nt had the "Please choose another flight" issue.
RNE likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:30 am

Airline options show up on Expedia but not UR

Hello!

I am trying to book an international flight from BKK to CNX. When I search on Expedia I get a ton of options - AirAsia, Bangkok Airways, Thai Lion Mantari. However, when I make the same search through Chase Ultimate Rewards none of those options show up.

Does anyone know if this is a system glitch? Isn't the portal powered by Expedia and thus should yield the same results?

Thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by walkertalk322
Hello!

I am trying to book an international flight from BKK to CNX. When I search on Expedia I get a ton of options - AirAsia, Bangkok Airways, Thai Lion Mantari. However, when I make the same search through Chase Ultimate Rewards none of those options show up.

Does anyone know if this is a system glitch? Isn't the portal powered by Expedia and thus should yield the same results?

Thanks!
The airlines you cited are all LCCs. I dont believe UR portal support LCC flights.

No. The portal does not have the same offerings as Expedia - this has been talked about dozens of times. The inventory for both airlines and lodgings are from different pools. There are actually occasions a lodging is on UR but not on Expedia though the other way is far more often.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:24 pm

Got it. Thanks for the clarification Happy!
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
No travel packages on UR website

I have had the CSR for three years now, but have never booked travel on the UR website. Unfortunately, I see that travel packages can't be booked on the UR website, like you can on the traditional Expedia website.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: SW, MR, CHASE
Hello FlyerTalk Friends! Looking for some advice. I booked a flight on the Chase Travel Portal in July and now TAP PORTUGAL AIRLINE made an involuntary schedule change that affects my upcoming trip; the original flight is no longer operating. The system rebooked it with a negative layover time. Over the last 2 weeks I've called Chase half a dozen times to get this flight canceled and my Chase UR points refunded. The Chase rep calls TAP for a refund waiver code, TAP says you need to send an email to request the code, Chase sends the email, and I'm supposed to be patient. Wait 2 days and repeat.

I'm getting nowhere on this. I want this canceled and refunded; In the meantime, I found a much better return itinerary at American.

Lisbon - Milwaukee Saturday 28 March 2020
Airline: Tap Air Portugal (TP 201)
12:50 LisbonAirport (LIS)Terminal 1
17:05 New YorkNewark Liberty International (EWR)Terminal B

Stop
-1h26mNewark Liberty International (EWR)Terminal Change

Airline: United Airlines (UA 3997)
16:31 New YorkNewark Liberty International (EWR)Terminal A
18:05 MilwaukeeGeneral Mitchell International (MKE)
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by philemer
FYI, I have never booked flts with my UR. I only book hotels and car rentals or transfer to a partner. Too many horror stories when one wants to cancel or IRROPS issues.
Is the problem that you have to deal with Expedia rather than the airline in the case of IRROPS (e.g., flight cancelled) and Expedia has excessive hold times and generally incompetent phone agents?

I usually book hotels through travel agents that offer benefits such as free breakfasts or upgrades, but the implied discount from 1.5 cents/point may outweigh those benefits (depending on whether transferring points to airline and hotel partners would be better value).
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:30 am

Programs: AA Plat
FWIW I’ve booked flights and I’ve never had a problem with IRROPS. I’ve had flights delayed/cancelled because of weather and have had bags lost/delayed. The airline always put my in a hotel (except for that one time where they ran out of vouchers but the CSR trip insurance covered it when I booked it out of pocket). In the case of delays, I’ve always been able to rebook easily at the gate or over the phone directly with an airline agent so as to not miss my connection, or to find a new routing (the joys of connecting through ORD).

That said, I only fly AA and I have Platinum status with them.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by peaches070
FWIW I’ve booked flights and I’ve never had a problem with IRROPS. I’ve had flights delayed/cancelled because of weather and have had bags lost/delayed. The airline always put my in a hotel (except for that one time where they ran out of vouchers but the CSR trip insurance covered it when I booked it out of pocket). In the case of delays, I’ve always been able to rebook easily at the gate or over the phone directly with an airline agent so as to not miss my connection, or to find a new routing (the joys of connecting through ORD).

That said, I only fly AA and I have Platinum status with them.
If one can deal directly with the airline, I don't understand the comments I've seen about the horrors of dealing with Expedia in case of IRROPS (which philemer appears to have seen too). I'd think the airline would handle hotel vouchers, but thought if I flight was booked through a TA, the TA generally controls changes, including rebookings. Perhaps it matters if the flight has gone to airport control?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:50 am

Programs: SW, MR, CHASE
Originally Posted by richarddd
Is the problem that you have to deal with Expedia rather than the airline in the case of IRROPS (e.g., flight cancelled) and Expedia has excessive hold times and generally incompetent phone agents?

I usually book hotels through travel agents that offer benefits such as free breakfasts or upgrades, but the implied discount from 1.5 cents/point may outweigh those benefits (depending on whether transferring points to airline and hotel partners would be better value).

You've pretty much nailed it with "excessive hold times and generally incompetent phone agents". I 100% agree at this point that using Chase for airlines is not the best. I used the Chase points to book this TAP Air Portugal flight because it was best itinerary from Lisbon. Not anymore. Even the Chase phone agents told me had I booked direct through TAP my cancellation/refund would have been processed instantly.

My assumption here was that Chase would be more of an advocate for me would there be a problem. Wonder if posting my complaint on Chase's twitter account would help my situation....
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I will admit that I only have had two experiences and have only booked simple roundtrips on the CSR site but in both cases, Delta treated my PNR as simply an ordinary paid ticket. Even in the case of the International (MIA-MEX) itinerary flown by AM there seemed to be no difference between those booked on CSR-Expedia and those booked directly with Delta.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by monitor
I will admit that I only have had two experiences and have only booked simple roundtrips on the CSR site but in both cases, Delta treated my PNR as simply an ordinary paid ticket. Even in the case of the International (MIA-MEX) itinerary flown by AM there seemed to be no difference between those booked on CSR-Expedia and those booked directly with Delta.
There wouldn't be any difference unless you had to change flights due to your original flight being cancelled, significantly delayed, unable to make a connection, etc.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:18 am

Flights Much Higher on Chase Portal

I'm looking at a flying 5/29 JFK-MAD and 6/8 BCN-JFK and for the same flights, Ibera is $520 RT and Chase is $631 RT. That's really ridiculous and destroys my UR point value. Is this common? I haven't seen it as bad for domestic flights?

Iberia Avious points are also a terrible redemption value for this flight so I guess I'll just pay cash, but was really hoping to use up some UR points here.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: UA, AS
I have seen it too. One time I even saw where airline=Expedia<UR website

Then a few days later they were all equal.

One thing I have noticed the past few days as I too have been looking TATL is Expedia doesn't seem to do well with Open Jaws.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.