Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is one (or so) enough...?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Is one (or so) enough...?

Talking about the CSR card. I have an IHG and a SW where I have received and used the points for the signup bonuses. At this point I am wanting to close both those cards. Am I doing myself some point injustice by looking to lessen the number of cards I have. I do also have the CF and CFU..Thanks for any info
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The IHG is a good keeper card, the $49 fee easily is paid for with the free night certificate. The SW card nearly breaks even with the anniversary points vs the annual fee and many people get retention offers that cancel out most or all of the fee. That said neither card is worth putting any spending on if you have a CSR in your wallet. I think I spent $50 on my IHG card last year and that was at an IHG hotel and I just wanted to use it at least once in 2017.
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:57 am
Original Poster

That is what I was thinking. Because I'd rather make the CSR card my main CC aside from earning points with my CF and then transferring them to the CSR. Because too even though the IHG gives you a free night I'm thinking the $300 TC with the CSR is a much better value.

I'm just looking for a way to lighten my cc wallet but still wanting to hit cc's for the signup and then put them away in the sock drawer.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Caribgrl
Because too even though the IHG gives you a free night I'm thinking the $300 TC with the CSR is a much better value.

I'm just looking for a way to lighten my cc wallet but still wanting to hit cc's for the signup and then put them away in the sock drawer.
I hope you realize that the $300 is essentially a partial refund of your $450 annual fee and not simply $300 free cash...
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is what I was thinking. Because I'd rather make the CSR card my main CC aside from earning points with my CF and then transferring them to the CSR. Because too even though the IHG gives you a free night I'm thinking the $300 TC with the CSR is a much better value.
The $300 TC is in exchange for paying $450 AF. So you're still out $150 net for AF even after that $300 TC.

Meanwhile, the free hotel night from the IHG card is in exchange for paying a whopping $49 (no typo!) AF. Assuming you can find a use for that once a year at a hotel that (including taxes) would cost more than $49, that 's net negative AF.

So how in the world is a $150 net AF better than a net negative AF?

At any rate, they're separate, and no one is limiting you to only a particular number of Chase cards (if you aren't limiting yourself). So you can have the free night from the IHG card as well as any benefits you like from another card, they're not mutually exclusive!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
The IHG card is a no brainer. Use it once a year (gas, food) and then back in the drawer. You can still have other Chase cards.
Caribgrl and SanDiego1K like this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by philemer
The IHG card is a no brainer. Use it once a year (gas, food) and then back in the drawer. You can still have other Chase cards.
2x at restaurants as well
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
CSR is 3x
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

This also brings to mind another question...When I do close those accounts, should I transfer some of the balance beforehand to my other Chase cards?

Originally Posted by moe8555
I hope you realize that the $300 is essentially a partial refund of your $450 annual fee and not simply $300 free cash...
Yes I do. And of course when the $300 TC is used it does bring the AF to $150...

The card w/the net $150 has much better rewards than the card with the net $0 AF...

Last edited by mia; Jan 13, 2018 at 2:54 pm Reason: Consolidate consecutive replies.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....transfer some of the balance beforehand to my other Chase cards?
Do you mean transfer some of the credit limit? How old will the cards be when you close them? Do you intend to apply for other Chase cards ?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
This also brings to mind another question...When I do close those accounts, should I transfer some of the balance beforehand to my other Chase cards?...The card w/the net $150 has much better rewards than the card with the net $0 AF...
But why close them? I don't really get why anybody would close the IHG card. You can't buy a night at a Holiday Inn for $49 in most places. Keeping the card gets you a room at any available IHG property for 1 night for $49. I plan to use mine that has a posted rate of ~$300-400/night. The only reason I can see closing the Southwest card is to reapply for it again and get the bonus points and work towards the companion pass.

and what do you mean by transfer the balance? if you're carrying a balance and paying interest, optimizing cards should be low on the list of issues you're dealing with. If you're talking about transferring credit lines you can do that without issue, just tell them to allocate the credit line to your CSR.

The card w/the net $150 has much better rewards than the card with the net $0 AF...
as it should, it has a higher AF, it should carry better rewards
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean transfer some of the credit limit? How old will the cards be when you close them? Do you intend to apply for other Chase cards ?
Sorry. Yes meant transfer some of the limit to my other Chase cards. Leaning more towards closing SW only it will be not quite a year. About 10 or 11 months. And yes want CSR
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
CSR is 3x
If you have it, that's great. But someone has to eat out a tremendous amount before the CSR with its high annual fee (even net) would work better at 3x than the IHG with its "net negative" annual fee.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch
If you have it, that's great. But someone has to eat out a tremendous amount before the CSR with its high annual fee (even net) would work better at 3x than the IHG with its "net negative" annual fee.
Just got my annual statement a day or two ago. $42k on dining in 2017 so complete no brainer for me.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I value IHG points at 0.7cpp, so 2x on dining is only 1.4% return. Several other cards pay better rewards for dining. After I earn the signup bonus on an IHG card I put it away except for IHG hotel purchases at 5x.

BTW, there is reason to cancel an IHG card. Every two years I cancel mine, wait several weeks, and apply for a new one with another signup bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.