Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Rewards discriminating against my wife

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ultimate Rewards discriminating against my wife

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

No law that the last name is created that way. It is a choice but a business should not hold that against us.

18 months ago Chase did not want to deal with it at all. So that is why this time I have gone that route.

I understand credit card and database fields need limits but then there needs to be exceptions in these cases. In the past transferring points to my wifes mileageplus account was not an issue. Then they tightened up the rules (I believe) and we are in this situation do to no fault of our own.

It is very easy for people who are not affected by this issue to say it is a bad beat.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by copaflyer
No law that the last name is created that way. It is a choice but a business should not hold that against us.

18 months ago Chase did not want to deal with it at all. So that is why this time I have gone that route.

I understand credit card and database fields need limits but then there needs to be exceptions in these cases. In the past transferring points to my wifes mileageplus account was not an issue. Then they tightened up the rules (I believe) and we are in this situation do to no fault of our own.

It is very easy for people who are not affected by this issue to say it is a bad beat.
In a way, that's true. It doesn't affect me but my response would be the same if it did. I work for a consumer products company about 1/5 the size of Chase by market cap. The bureaucracy is probably similar and that is why I don't think they have any interest in your situation based on what you reported them to say to you on the phone. If you had a million dollars in your accounts, they would probably give you a more personalized response. Not because a million dollars is a lot of money to them because it isn't. Mostly because they would be thinking that one day you might have a billion dollars and will choose Chase for the lion's share of your business based on their stellar customer service (LOL).

Working in a quality assurance department, sometimes I wonder how some of these people even get numbers and e-mail addresses of some of the people in my organization but we take their complaints and if they seem credible, we forward them to the appropriate personnel. That's the reason why I'm now mentioning the bureaucracy as a complaint that only affects a handful of people will never see the light of day in a place as big as day. My company receives between 2-3 thousand complaints every month so, obviously, the higher priority situations will receive consideration before the lower priority ones will even sniff someone with the means to address those concerns. I'm sure that the same is true of Chase.

Let me ask you this: When Chase mails your wife her statement or when she views it online, does it have the full legal name? If yes, I just don't see how you can continue to put this issue of discrimination on Chase's doorstep. Visa/Mastercard is not within Chase's purview to change a policy, that is all we're saying. If her statement doesn't have her full legal name, I would believe that you/she should be able to have that rectified as there seems to be plenty of room in those fields of entry but I suspect that that isn't an issue for her.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:13 am
Original Poster

She has hers card through my account. Her cards show her first name and my last name. Her full last name will not fit because of visas limitations. I cannot transfer UR points to her mileageplus account because the names do not match. Mileage plus and the country that issues her passport are able to accommodate her legal last name.

I did open a new mileageplus account with her shortened last name but have to send in paperwork showing she is an owner of my business or pay the csr authorized user fee of I think $75.

There is no excuse of not taking any and all issues seriously. 18 months ago it should have been addressed and I offered a few options that would work and would be cheaper for chase then all the communication since with no results.

Originally Posted by Oreto
In a way, that's true. It doesn't affect me but my response would be the same if it did. I work for a consumer products company about 1/5 the size of Chase by market cap. The bureaucracy is probably similar and that is why I don't think they have any interest in your situation based on what you reported them to say to you on the phone. If you had a million dollars in your accounts, they would probably give you a more personalized response. Not because a million dollars is a lot of money to them because it isn't. Mostly because they would be thinking that one day you might have a billion dollars and will choose Chase for the lion's share of your business based on their stellar customer service (LOL).

Working in a quality assurance department, sometimes I wonder how some of these people even get numbers and e-mail addresses of some of the people in my organization but we take their complaints and if they seem credible, we forward them to the appropriate personnel. That's the reason why I'm now mentioning the bureaucracy as a complaint that only affects a handful of people will never see the light of day in a place as big as day. My company receives between 2-3 thousand complaints every month so, obviously, the higher priority situations will receive consideration before the lower priority ones will even sniff someone with the means to address those concerns. I'm sure that the same is true of Chase.

Let me ask you this: When Chase mails your wife her statement or when she views it online, does it have the full legal name? If yes, I just don't see how you can continue to put this issue of discrimination on Chase's doorstep. Visa/Mastercard is not within Chase's purview to change a policy, that is all we're saying. If her statement doesn't have her full legal name, I would believe that you/she should be able to have that rectified as there seems to be plenty of room in those fields of entry but I suspect that that isn't an issue for her.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:32 pm

She has hers card through my account. Her cards show her first name and my last name. Her full last name will not fit because of visas limitations. I cannot transfer UR points to her mileageplus account because the names do not match. Mileage plus and the country that issues her passport are able to accommodate her legal last name.

I did open a new mileageplus account with her shortened last name but have to send in paperwork showing she is an owner of my business or pay the csr authorized user fee of I think $75.

There is no excuse of not taking any and all issues seriously. 18 months ago it should have been addressed and I offered a few options that would work and would be cheaper for chase then all the communication since with no results.
You have spent 18 months upset over the equivalent of $315 (so $17.50 per month). It also appears you have exhausted all of your non-legal options. So your next step is to either retain counsel or just simply cut your losses and move on. I'm guessing you were flagged when you made the accusation of discrimination and possible mention of legal action. When that happens, Legal usually advises the company to cease all contact outside of the court system.

How many unredeemed/untransferred UR points do you have in your account? Chase could simply choose to fire you as a customer and just pay out 1 cent per point.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Yo may be right about chase firing me as a customer but I doubt it. I probably will do it though. I cleaned out my UR balances before starting this the second time.

I gave up on it for over a year and it was chase not caring that my United Club card had not been sent out last year. I did not realize it as the Copa club would accept the expired one, but the Maple Leaf Lounge would not. I showed them what I had in my United App showing I was a member, the expired card and my current United Club Chase credit card but nothing mattered accept having a valid united club card. I called for a new one and nothing showed up. Then I was told my new card would be sent out in a month anyway so they did not want to send the old one out again as they considered it a waste. In all of this chase refused to refund the annual fee as they said chase was not responsible for the issuing of the membership card. United said I did not pay them for the card so they would not refund anything either.

Originally Posted by MDJennings
You have spent 18 months upset over the equivalent of $315 (so $17.50 per month). It also appears you have exhausted all of your non-legal options. So your next step is to either retain counsel or just simply cut your losses and move on. I'm guessing you were flagged when you made the accusation of discrimination and possible mention of legal action. When that happens, Legal usually advises the company to cease all contact outside of the court system.

How many unredeemed/untransferred UR points do you have in your account? Chase could simply choose to fire you as a customer and just pay out 1 cent per point.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It starts sounding fishy...
Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by garykung
It starts sounding fishy...
I agree. I thought that we were dealing with a mostly UR transfer problem (potential Chase problem) as well as a Mileage+ name match problem (United problem). However, if the OP has a Club card, it is unacceptable that Chase not ensure that he has a valid, physical membership card in order to enter the United Club given that card's hefty fee. Mine arrived by mail about a month before the older one expired. I'm with him on that issue. In my opinion, there is little reason to hold that card without that benefit. I'm probably not going to renew when my current year is up as the club is just not that value-added to me. The 1.5 M+ miles/$ on general spend is nice but is easily duplicated with the Freedom Unlimited.

If the OP has any of the premium UR cards plus a Club card, I think that Chase will not fire him as their revenue from annual fees alone would require some patience on their part with regards to company policy. What the OP has divulged about the back-and-forth between him and Chase is more on the level of annoyance than cut all ties fear.

I wish the OP luck but I suspect that he's going to continue to have an uphill battle on his hands if he's hoping for Chase to come to his rescue. My experience with Chase is different than his has been and it sounds like others might not have much to add for him in his struggle which supports his point of view.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Other then these two issues and my Chase Sapphire Reserve travel bonus crediting for 2017 when it was for and posted for 2016 but statement closed in 2017 it has been great. Should have got the statement to close earlier by changing the due date. Simple fix but not offered by Chase rep.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Delta/Hyatt/Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
It's better to spend that amount of energy on some constructive thing than fixating to this obscure issue. There is so many ways to generate an activity to keep a MileageP account active. Why not pound on Visa or UA instead of Chase? Root cause is Visa's limitation of surname field. UA doesn't take exception in light of discrepancy among industrial practices. IMHO, it's nothing related to legal protected class and pure business service issue. We all take "no" for answers sometimes in our lives, win some, lose some... no harm no fault...
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by garykung
Actually, there is no such thing as legal or illegal discrimination.

All discrimination are unlawful by nature. And not all differences in treatments are discrimination.
Not true at all. There's lots of totally legal discrimination. Sports teams discriminate based on running speed. Colleges discriminate based on grades and test scores. Modeling agencies discriminate based on attractiveness. Nothing wrong with, or illegal about, that. People and entities can also discriminate on totally random stuff, if they want to. Chase could decide tomorrow that it wouldn't extend credit to anyone born on February 13th. It would be a bizarre decision, but not illegal, since people born on 2/13 aren't a protected class.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Chase sent me a letter back saying that their original stance stands. The points could not be transferred to my wifes United account because the names did not match. The name on the mileage plus account that Chase told me I should have used does not fit.

But they take all allegations of disrimination seriously and it is against company policy. Yet my wife is being disriminated because of race, national orgin, martial status, gender, sexual orientation and religion.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:31 pm

Chase sent me a letter back saying that their original stance stands. The points could not be transferred to my wifes United account because the names did not match. The name on the mileage plus account that Chase told me I should have used does not fit.

But they take all allegations of disrimination seriously and it is against company policy. Yet my wife is being disriminated because of race, national orgin, martial status, gender, sexual orientation and religion.
Hire a lawyer. Martindale.com - Online Directory for Attorneys, Law Firms and Consumers
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Wink

Originally Posted by MDJennings
Yes, he should hire a lawyer. However, if I were the attorney I'd take this strictly on an hourly basis, not contingency.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
The OP caused the problem to go unsolved when he pulled the DISCRIMIATION part.

The only thing they could "technically" be charge with would be discrimination against long names, which of course is not a protected class.

It is an IT issue and the OP screwed himself once he took the aggressive approach.
jjmiller69 and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:26 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
The OP caused the problem to go unsolved when he pulled the DISCRIMIATION part.

The only thing they could "technically" be charge with would be discrimination against long names, which of course is not a protected class.

It is an IT issue and the OP screwed himself once he took the aggressive approach.

not quite. I agree with your general final conclusion that it’s an IT issue. You are not correct that discrimination against long names cannot effectively be discrimination against a protected class. If the intention is to discriminate against the protected class and the result indirectly targets the protected class, then the whole thing can be ruled as effectively discrimstion against the protected class. Example: say I want to target women. I say that any group who enter my store with at least one woman will be all kicked out. A group of 4 men and one woman enters. I kick them out. I kicked out 4 times as many men as women. I still discriminated against women. Now
lets change it that I kick out any group of people that come in with one member in a skirt. I kick out some groups. I discriminated against women because of my intention—even if men came in wearing skirts and their group was kicked out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.