Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Rewards discriminating against my wife

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ultimate Rewards discriminating against my wife

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Mentioning discrimination when contacting the Executive Office was counterproductive. It put them on the defensive, to demonstrate that Chase didn't do anything wrong, rather than solving the problem.
I agree with this. Being ultra combative forces them to hunker down. I can't even count how many times an issue could have been resolved amicably, but one party brought up legal action which then caused our clients to then say, "fine, see you in court." It's like that in nearly all industries (especially medical). If you mention legal action, they forward it over to their own internal legal or perpetually retained representation who then advise their client to cut of all contact outside of the court system.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The second that OP mentioned the word "discrimination" it was sent off to a legal team which deals with those issues rather than customer service. Because ---- no matter what OP and some others believe ---- this is not unlawful discrimination here in the US, the claim was denied and that is the end of it. Has nothing to do with customer service, simply what any careful business does when a serious violation of law is alleged and is unfounded.

Short of a careful note stating that OP now understands that whatever happened here was not any form of unlawful discrimination and that he would now like to deal with this a a pure customer service accomodation, this mess is over.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

I have given chase lots of chances to correct the issue with them denying the issue even existed.

We are voting with our feet and mummy wife is niw using connect miles. Just want to use up the miles in her account. 31500 expired which 18 months ago I wanted to top up with 16000 to be able to redeem them all. The. My wife would be gone from united with no further need to transfer miles there. Illegal discrimination or not it is not right. 18 months ago they decided they did not care as well as just recently. I am now going to give them a reason to care.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:29 pm

I'm not certain this is discrimination either. I could change my name to be 21 characters long and would run into the same problem with them. I could change it to a symbol and run into problems with everyone probably. It's an unfortunate issue and probably one that wasn't thought of initially. They should correct it (VISA, United, whoever). She could always change her legal name to be whatever she wants to work with the system :P

You probably could both change your name to something less then 20 characters but exactly the same, open cards or accounts or whatever in two different places, and then transfer them and suddenly have them all combined into a single account :P
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acarney
I'm not certain this is discrimination either. I could change my name to be 21 characters long and would run into the same problem with them. I could change it to a symbol and run into problems with everyone probably. It's an unfortunate issue and probably one that wasn't thought of initially. They should correct it (VISA, United, whoever). She could always change her legal name to be whatever she wants to work with the system :P

You probably could both change your name to something less then 20 characters but exactly the same, open cards or accounts or whatever in two different places, and then transfer them and suddenly have them all combined into a single account :P
Seems like you are suggesting a lot of work when chase should make reasonable accomodations. My wifes name fits for her passport, legal documents etc. Chase is the exception.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by copaflyer
I have given chase lots of chances to correct the issue with them denying the issue even existed.

We are voting with our feet and mummy wife is niw using connect miles. Just want to use up the miles in her account. 31500 expired which 18 months ago I wanted to top up with 16000 to be able to redeem them all. The. My wife would be gone from united with no further need to transfer miles there. Illegal discrimination or not it is not right. 18 months ago they decided they did not care as well as just recently. I am now going to give them a reason to care.
Wait, so you're upset with Chase because you had a bunch of miles in a FFP account that expired that were not earned through Chase? How is that their issue? From your posts, you're saying you have 16,000 UR points available still, so you didn't even lose any sort of value from Chase.

Feel free to walk away or hire a process server and have them serve Stacey Friedman. Remember that Flyertalk isn't affiliated with any bank, airline, business, etc so nothing you post here will do anything. I'm also guessing general customer service might have flagged your account now due to your legal threats, so serving JPMC might be your only recourse. Just remember that if you sue them and lose, you'll be on the hook for their legal expenses in addition to whatever tens of thousands they might cause you to incur. Instances of this happening have been posted all over FT in the past and detailed on many blogs. If I remember correctly, one guy tried to take a bank to arbitration (or sue them) over a matter of $300 and has now ran up $20,000 in legal fees.
Happy and jjmiller69 like this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:50 am
Suspended

I'm sure you have them shaking in their boots - ROTFL. Move on.
MDJennings likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by NDN
No, it actually is discrimination--it's just not illegal discrimination. Discrimination isn't about intent, but result.
Actually, there is no such thing as legal or illegal discrimination.

All discrimination are unlawful by nature. And not all differences in treatments are discrimination.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by garykung

All discrimination are unlawful by nature. And not all differences in treatments are discrimination.
Absurd. One encounters price discrimination every single day - the airlines practice it, universities practice it, restaurants do, I could go on. It's completely legal, as opposed to other types of discrimination which are deemed illegal by approved government legislation.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Absurd. One encounters price discrimination every single day - the airlines practice it, universities practice it, restaurants do, I could go on. It's completely legal, as opposed to other types of discrimination which are deemed illegal by approved government legislation.
You got me on that one.

Otherwise, I stand correct.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
There are more examples too. Say, Insurances can discriminate based age, gender, where you live (which can be tied to race), + other factors. They can even choose not to do business with you. But try that with other businesses and it's illegal.

In terms of discrimination, this whole thing reminds me discriminating against people with disabilities. Similar to requiring building handicap ramp access, can Chase hide behind "our IT system/vendor doesn't allow more than 20 characters" or are they required to install new infrastructure, like ramp access, to accommodate everyone?
Happy likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cannot even fathom why you would rather let 31.5K miles expired, combating Chase in a lengthy battle while in the meantime, you could have use gazillion ways to extend the miles for another 18 months. Hint, a rental car or a hotel stay that happened before the miles expiration date, but have not been tagged to earn UA miles - all you need to do is to submit the missing mile claim to the merchant to ask for the posting of such - once it hits your account, Voila, the miles are extended from the date of the activity. In the case of Hertz, you dont even need a rental in your wife's name, just a RECEIPT happened in the past, that has NEVER earned UA miles....

Yet, you are spending lots of energy and time to combat Chase only to see the miles expired nonetheless. Then you start the whole battle AGAIN?

You have way too much time and energy to waste on something that the End Goal can easily be achieved without involving Chase at all!

Really surprised you still stay with Chase 18 months later after they have treated you so wrong in your eyes....

There are a few lessons to be learned by others reading this thread, apparently that does not include you.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 13, 2017 at 11:24 am
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You got me on that one.

Otherwise, I stand correct.
You will be corrected many more times. Insurance, hospital charges, even supermarkets of the same chain... just the few items came in my head as I am seeing the difference pricing for identical coverage. medical services, even a pack of butter at Stare A versus Store B of the same chain...

ONLY the named types of the discrimination in the government's Act has ANY legal meaning. Everything else, is just your personal opinion that does not mean jack in the system.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
...can Chase hide behind "our IT system/vendor doesn't allow more than 20 characters" or are they required to install new infrastructure, like ramp access, to accommodate everyone?
Is it really Chase's fault though? His wife could change the name on her United account in order to match Chase's system. The OP also says that, "visa," didn't allow a name longer than 20 letters. I can tell you right now that my JPMC issued credit has 24 characters for my name (including the spaces). I would love to see the OP try to sue them or even hear a lawyer take this case over the matter of roughly $300 that Chase had nothing to do with.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Executive office today still claimed it was because the names did not match and that is why the transfer would not go through. Okay then lets match the names so there is no issue. 15 minutes later and they are telling me that my wifes name is too long. Believe they allow 26 characters for the name. My wifes is longer.

Then they suggest changing my wifes name on her mileage plus account like the poster above but that is the name in her passport and would require her to get a new passport. No ideal.

They blame it on a policy from Visa (mastercard may be even shorter). According to them this issue has rarely come up and there is no policy about how to accommodate names that are too long for the fields provided. So their solution is to do nothing. I offered them solutions that would make my wife whole and not be a big deal for chase but they are not interested.

The person on the phone agreed with me that it should not be that way but not willing or able to go above and beyond to accommodate why wife or put me in touch with someone at Chase that can resolve it. But my feedback will be submitted to the feedback team.

Regardless of if one thinks this is discrimination based on race, gender, national origin, martial status or not this is such bs that I will rethink my relationship with chase. According to the guy on the phone treating me any better as a client then someone who spends a few dollars with chase would be disrimination and not allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.