Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does Chase convert obsolete cards without asking ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Chase convert obsolete cards without asking ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:45 am
formerly known as s2kdriver80
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Question Does Chase convert obsolete cards without asking ?

Assuming that the Marriott-Starwood merger might mean a brand new card from Chase, would Chase convert all Marriott card holders automatically?

If they automatically convert without asking, you wouldn't be eligible for any signup bonus for a couple of years since a conversion counts as having the card.

Just wondering what Chase did in the past regarding conversions and how they affect signup bonus eligibility.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I believe the discontinued Fairmont cards have been auto-converted to Sapphire Preferred, but that's a different situation than the introduction of a new card. If Chase loses the Marriott contract it's possible the accounts would be sold to the new issuer, but you should have an opportunity to cancel.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:13 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Originally Posted by mia
I believe the discontinued Fairmont cards have been auto-converted to Sapphire Preferred, but that's a different situation than the introduction of a new card. If Chase loses the Marriott contract it's possible the accounts would be sold to the new issuer, but you should have an opportunity to cancel.
So in that example, if the person never had the CSP and by Chase automatically force-converting the card, did he/she lose eligibility for the CSP bonus for at least two years?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
So in that example, if the person never had the CSP and by Chase automatically force-converting the card, did he/she lose eligibility for the CSP bonus for at least two years?
Chase bonus eligibility is based on 24 months from previous bonus. If you received no bonus, you are not disqualified, although you do need to close the account before applying.

However, bear in mind that bonus eligibility rules typically change without notice, for example:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...hire-card.html

Last edited by mia; Aug 28, 2017 at 12:52 pm
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Just wondering what Chase did in the past regarding conversions and how they affect signup bonus eligibility.
To answer the question in the thread title, Chase has done this in the past. When Chase lost the Amtrak Guest Rewards credit card, holders were converted to Freedom Unlimited (or maybe it was Freedom, I don't recall).

I don't know how this affected sign-up bonus eligibility.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Yes it was Freedom. The Unlimited was not around at the time. As a card holder we did not get a vote other then to keep it as a Freedom or CANX the Amtrak Card before or after it was auto-converted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.