Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit reporting tools to track 5/24 status

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Troopers
Do we really know if Chase counts business cards?
I think we do know that Chase counts business cards which appear on credit reports. Is it even possible to tell a business card apart from a personal card on a credit report? (Only a person with a business card that does report to personal credit bureaus, such as Capital One, would be able to tell us that.)

We have datapoints of Chase not counting their own business cards (which they could of course see internally if they wanted to but which don't appear on credit reports), even with human-involved approvals. We don't know for sure if there are any situations (recon, for example) in which they might count those.

Similarly, the credit report approach is dangerous for people who think they know the rules but don't really know the rule, no?
Indeed. We get a lot of people who come to this thread, don't bother to read the wiki, and then ask about are they ok with 5 "pulls" in 24 months! But of course, those people would get it wrong using the yellow pad too.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Is it even possible to tell a business card apart from a personal card on a credit report? (Only a person with a business card that does report to personal credit bureaus, such as Capital One, would be able to tell.
You would be able to distinguish a business card vs personal card with yellow pad method. You would also be able to distinguish different cards from the same issuer.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You would be able to distinguish a business card vs personal card with yellow pad method.
...but you would only be able to verify that the account was/not reported by looking at a credit report.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You would be able to distinguish a business card vs personal card with yellow pad method. You would also be able to distinguish different cards from the same issuer.
That wasn't what I was asking! Of course you can tell which of your own cards are business cards without looking at your credit report.

My question was whether someone else (such as Chase) who is looking at your credit report that has a business card (say, Cap One) on it, can they tell that it's a business card?

I'm trying to get at whether Chase can tell whether one of your cards on the credit report is a business card. Because if they can't, there's obviously no way they can exclude business cards that do report to (personal) credit bureaus. (Which is what you seemed to be asking upthread!)
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:29 am

My question was whether someone else (such as Chase) who is looking at your credit report that has a business card (say, Cap One) on it, can they tell that it's a business card
But ah, you answered your own question in the next sentence after you initially posed the question:

Only a person with a business card that does report to personal credit bureaus, such as Capital One, would be able to tell us that.
In any case, I'll revise my upthread statement to read: The yellow pad is simply a manual ongoing count of accounts opened and opened date. That count is the maximum n...reduce that count by store cards, Cap One business accounts, accounts older than 24 months, etc to arrive at the n Chase will likely use. As far as we know, Cap One is the only issuer that reports business cards to the bureaus (and if there is negative mark on one's non-Cap One business account resulting in the issuer to report it, that person shouldn't apply for a new card and be concerned about 5/24).

Last edited by Troopers; Jun 24, 2017 at 12:41 am
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:59 am
mia

... As far as we know, Cap One is the only issuer that reports business cards to the bureaus....
I have a hazy recollection that State Farm Bank also reports business card accounts.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In any case, I'll revise my upthread statement to read: The yellow pad is simply a manual ongoing count of accounts opened and opened date. That count is the maximum n...reduce that count by store cards, Cap One business accounts, accounts older than 24 months, etc to arrive at the n Chase will likely use. As far as we know, Cap One is the only issuer that reports business cards to the bureaus (and if there is negative mark on one's non-Cap One business account resulting in the issuer to report it, that person shouldn't apply for a new card and be concerned about 5/24).
I don't have to revise my previous statement, which is that you're wrong! Because you're still wrong.

First, it's not '"as far as we know", it's just that you didn't even know about Cap One until I told you, I'm sure there are others, I just can't remember them right now (and why should I, since it still wouldn't be an exhaustive list). I don't generally keep track of banks that issue cashback cards, because I have little interest in cashback (I want real airline miles, real hotel points, or transferable points which can be turned into real airline miles and/or real hotel points). I remember hearing about other banks which issued business cards that reported to credit bureaus, but I didn't keep of track of them other than Cap One. So it's not "as far we khow", it's simply the most famous example.

Second, even if Cap One were the only one, you got it backwards. If that were the case, you'd subtract business accounts other than Cap One, not Cap One!

So you're proving over and over and over again how this yellow pad method is garbage, because if you, the propoent of it, can't get it right after several attempts, who will ever get it right/

Like I said, you shouldn't guess which banks report to credit bureaus and which don't. Check your credit report at least once a few months after you a business card, and see if reports. If yes, leave it on the yellow pad. If it doesn't, you can take it off. (Bur you have to wait a few months since some cards are simply slow to report to credit bureaus.)

There is no list that I know of which banks do and don't report to credit bureaus. There are many dozens of banks out there that issue cards, and I only know about 8 of them, 1 reports business cards and the other 7 or so don't. I know nothing about any of the others, so don't use my one example as a rule!

So without such a list, there's only two safe simple approaches: Leave all business cards on the yellow pad, or check your own credit report once a few months after opening any business to figure out whether to leave it on the yellow pad (if it reports) or remove it from the yellow pad (if it doesn't report). Lacking an actual list, I see no safe way to create a yellow pad rule about business cards in general. (Now, if you for your own purpose know you'll never apply for business cards other than from the 3 banks which never report, then for yourself, you can remove business cards, but that doesn't for anyone else if you don't know which bank's cards they applied for.

Anyway, three strikes, you're out. Please stop posting any more incorrect yellow pad rules, it's pointless. (It just shows all the more, every time, how error-prone the yellow pad approach is, despite all your claims to the contrary.)

Btw, "reduce that count by store cards" is also wrong, but I'm not going to take the time to explain why. It's been explained before in the "Applying for Chase cards" thread, or if you think through the logic of how' "only count bank cards" is right and "don't count store cards" is wrong, maybe you''ll figure the answer out yourself?

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 24, 2017 at 7:31 pm
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:09 am

nice yellow pad debate...got me to check my opening dates on my pad with credit karma's on about 12 cards. All opening and closing dates matched...actually 1 card had a 1 day difference.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Credit Journey tells you number of new cards opened in past two years.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eajusa
Credit Journey tells you number of new cards opened in past two years.
Wrong!

For me right now, it claims:
Opened Accounts (Last 2 years) 3
But since late summer 2015 I opened a Citi AA Gold personal card (since closed), three Citi AA Plat personal cards (all since closed), a Citi TYP Premier card (still open), and four BofA Alaska personal cards (one still open), and Amex personal PRG (still open).

So obviously Credit Journey isn't counting cards that were opened and then closed both in the last 24 months, but Chase's 5/24 evaluation does count that! The count it gives of 3 matches only the cards I opened in the last 2 years and still have open.

IMHO that makes Credit Journey absolutely useless for 5/24 evaluation if you've been cancelling cards, not just opening them.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Wrong!

So obviously [B][SIZE="3"]Credit Journey isn't counting cards that were opened and then closed both in the last 24 months,

IMHO that makes Credit Journey absolutely useless for 5/24 evaluation if you've been cancelling cards, not just opening them.
Ah I haven't closed any in the last. 24 months that were also opened in the past 2 years. So I've learned something new. Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eajusa
Ah I haven't closed any in the last. 24 months that were also opened in the past 2 years. So I've learned something new. Thanks.
And, btw, I find it real annoying that Credit Journey doesn't make this clear at all. It was obvious in my case because it's such a big difference, but someone who had cancelled only one or two cards might legitimately be misled by Credit Journey's claim that it's simply "opened accounts (last 2 years)". At the very least they should have an asterisk and a footnote explaining that they' not counting any cards that have since been closed. Or they could rephrase it to "open accounts (created in last 2 years)".

But they seem to all about misleading, not informing. Because on the very same summary, they show "pulls" without clarifying that they're only showing TU pulls, and that pulls on other bureaus are likely to be different.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
To add to the Credit Journey pile on, their report claims I've opened four cards in the last 24 months. That would only be true if they include my PC from CSP to CFU as a "new" card. Otherwise, I should be at 3/24.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:32 pm
mia

Moderator action

Some posts have been removed. The purpose of a Flyertalk thread is to exchange ideas and information, and not to extract a concession from someone who may disagree. Make your point once, do not repeat it even if you think others do not understand. Do not post unless you have something HELPFUL to contribute.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Credit Sesame?

Here's a site that runs down free credit report sites:

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/best-...t-report-site/

Of those, only four seem to be free long-term (the rest seem to be free trial only):
  • Credit Karma (already discussed above, credit report is updated weekly ^ ^ ^ but ability to "sort" by date opened appears to have been removed recently )
  • Annual Credit Report (its main limitation for 5/24 being that it's annual)
  • Quizzle (which according to the above site only updates the credit report every 6 months)
  • Credit Sesame

Does anyone know how often Credit Sesame updates? Does anyone know if it has any better sorting options than Credit Karma now does?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.