FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1814294-chase-sapphire-reserve-csr-2017-2019-archived.html)

aSiAnRiCk Nov 11, 2019 8:16 am

Originally Posted by usedtobeimportant (Post 31668028)
Apologies if I should add this to an existing thread, I've not posted on CC forums much before.

So I now have a CSR in my hand. What are the first steps I should do?

a) Spend $4000 to get the bonus points
b) Enroll in TSA Global (can this be at any time or within a certain time of receiving the card)
c) Enroll in the lounge access program (Priority Pass).

Anything else? I have a Chase United card so I don't need general guidance, rather CSR specific guidance.

Thanks.

I would apply for Global Entry ($100 app fee) vs TSA pre-check ($85) because GE comes with TSA Pre. And that would be the first thing I do as it will take time for the process.
Actually, enrolling in Priority Pass is pretty simple and quick so you can do that just to get it out of the way.
Then you can sign-up for National Executive membership if you don't have one already.
You have 3 months for the $4K.

rmannion Dec 4, 2019 5:52 pm

FWIW, I just applied and was approved instantly for the CSR and received a 34k limit. I have an existing United Club (47k) and Amazon Prime (5k) card, and have opened 1 new card in the past two years (non-Chase).

355F1 Jan 11, 2020 3:59 pm

Finally decided to get this card for the SUB yesterday.

even with an 831 FICO I Had to call Recon and move $10k in credit from other Personal cards (I have like 8 total biz/personal).

VegasGambler Jan 11, 2020 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 31938362)
Finally decided to get this card for the SUB yesterday.

even with an 831 FICO I Had to call Recon and move $10k in credit from other Personal cards (I have like 8 total biz/personal).

Credit score has nothing to do with the total amount of credit that Chase will extend to you.

Credit score determines if you are eligible for the card. Your income and monthly house payment determine how much credit Chase will extend, if you are eligible. This makes sense. Someone with a $50k/year income could have an excellent credit score; that doesn't mean that a responsible lender will extend them $500k of credit on a credit card.

I had to move some limit around for the last Chase CC I got. If I remember correctly, the total limit for all Chase cards capped out at half of (income minus 12 * rent) -- basically, half of the money I'd have left in a year after paying rent if I had no other expenses and didn't pay any taxes.

RNE Jan 11, 2020 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 31938362)
...even with an 831 FICO I Had to call Recon and move $10k in credit from other Personal cards (I have like 8 total biz/personal).

Congrats. But the need to call had little to do with FICO and everything to do with total credit line.

EasternTraveler Jan 11, 2020 6:50 pm

Applied for the card.
DELAYED
Got the 2 week message.
Will it be approved at the 450 or 550 annual fee since today is the 11th and a 2 week usually means approved but delayed?
Any experience or data points on this?

EasternTraveler Jan 11, 2020 7:05 pm

Applied today and got the 2 weeks message.
Should we call for reconsideration line or wait?
Should we worry about getting the $450 AF instead of tomorrows AF?

STS-134 Jan 11, 2020 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler (Post 31938817)
Applied today and got the 2 weeks message.
Should we call for reconsideration line or wait?
Should we worry about getting the $450 AF instead of tomorrows AF?

You should only call reconsideration if you get rejected. Let it work its way through the system. I got a 1-2 weeks message for the CFU and was approved in around 3-5 days.

Didn't it tell you that there would be a $450 AF for the first year when you signed up? They can't just change the terms unilaterally on you.

EasternTraveler Jan 11, 2020 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 31938848)
You should only call reconsideration if you get rejected. Let it work its way through the system. I got a 1-2 weeks message for the CFU and was approved in around 3-5 days.

Didn't it tell you that there would be a $450 AF for the first year when you signed up? They can't just change the terms unilaterally on you.

Yes she got that offer and I had her print it out.

VegasGambler Jan 11, 2020 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 31938848)

I disagree with this advice. I suggest calling recon if it is not automatically approved. It will speed the process up dramatically.

When I applied for my Hyatt card, it went to the "pending" state. I called recon, and the agent said that we would have to reduce CL on some other Chase cards (I had 3 already; Hyatt was my 4th). So we reduced 2 cards by 10k each and she approved it with a 20k credit line.

The whole call took, maybe, 5 min. Why wait 2 weeks to get a letter in the mail when you can just take care of this right now?

Just call and say something like "I was surprised that my application was not automatically approved; is there any additional information that I can provide?"

STS-134 Jan 11, 2020 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 31938967)
I disagree with this advice. I suggest calling recon if it is not automatically approved. It will speed the process up dramatically.

When I applied for my Hyatt card, it went to the "pending" state. I called recon, and the agent said that we would have to reduce CL on some other Chase cards (I had 3 already; Hyatt was my 4th). So we reduced 2 cards by 10k each and she approved it with a 20k credit line.

The whole call took, maybe, 5 min. Why wait 2 weeks to get a letter in the mail when you can just take care of this right now?

Because if recon will ultimately approve you, they will do so whether it's now or later. But if your application is one that the system would automatically approve but a more extensive human review might reject, then you're not doing yourself any favors by calling. You may get yourself rejected when you would have ultimately been accepted had you just waited.

And thinking ahead to the future, if you ultimately decided against keeping the card after the $550 AF hits next year, the delay gives you a few additional days to burn the 2021 Doordash credit.

EasternTraveler Jan 12, 2020 8:16 am

Thanks.

StartinSanDiego Jan 14, 2020 9:36 am

Moderator Note: This thread is now archived.

Please continue the 2020 discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...-benefits.html