FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1814294-chase-sapphire-reserve-csr-2017-2019-archived.html)

krazykanuck Oct 26, 2019 6:55 am

Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo (Post 31667357)
Yeah I’m surprised as I thought the limit on the CSR was $35k. I wonder if Chase extended it upwards or if it was a data bias because the people whose results I saw were mostly churners and others who already had a lot of credit.

Probably the latter. When I got the CSR I was approved for $29k, IIRC, but I also had about 5 other Chase cards already. Rule of thumb with Chase is that they will give you about 50% of your income as a total credit line, so if somebody put down $100k as income and had no prior Chase credit a 50k CL on a CSR wouldn't surprise me.

usedtobeimportant Oct 26, 2019 7:23 am

First Steps with CSR

Apologies if I should add this to an existing thread, I've not posted on CC forums much before.

So I now have a CSR in my hand. What are the first steps I should do?

a) Spend $4000 to get the bonus points
b) Enroll in TSA Global (can this be at any time or within a certain time of receiving the card)
c) Enroll in the lounge access program (Priority Pass).

Anything else? I have a Chase United card so I don't need general guidance, rather CSR specific guidance.

Thanks.

good_boy_1234 Nov 6, 2019 7:58 pm

After CNB card got nerfed and no other card exists with same perks, I am either thinking of re-applying to CSR (had the bonus almost 2.5 years) or trying the US Bank Altitude....The latter seems to have a net cost of only $75...Any recommendations?

mia Nov 7, 2019 4:30 am

Originally Posted by good_boy_1234 (Post 31709929)
.... no other card exists with same perks....

You will receive better replies if you mention the specific features that are important to you.

But see this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...st-2018-a.html

jags86 Nov 7, 2019 7:34 am

After CNB card got nerfed and no other card exists with same perks, I am either thinking of re-applying to CSR (had the bonus almost 2.5 years) or trying the US Bank Altitude....The latter seems to have a net cost of only $75...Any recommendations?

No point in applying for the CSR as you need to wait 48 months before getting the bonus. The card is really not worth picking up without the 50k points.

time_stamp Nov 7, 2019 7:37 am

I witnessed a fast food cashier taking cash from a customer and then using her CSR to pay his bill this morning. I wonder how long she can get away with it.

pallhedge Nov 7, 2019 9:20 am

...I am either thinking of re-applying to CSR (had the bonus almost 2.5 years)...

Your application will be denied because it's been less than 48 months since you last received a Sapphire card welcome bonus.

Armin Tamzarian Nov 7, 2019 11:47 am

Originally Posted by time_stamp (Post 31711253)
I witnessed a fast food cashier taking cash from a customer and then using her CSR to pay his bill this morning. I wonder how long she can get away with it.

Why? It's just a version of manufactured spending. There are plenty of bartenders, servers, etc who will use their credit card with a restaurant bonus when customers pay cash. It's just like a cash advance with that extra % bonus. Most establishments have so many CC transactions that they're not going to mind a few extra although it can look bad when an employee is pocketing the cash you just gave them. I've done it when working at a bartending job. Just remember to use that cash to pay off the CC bill and remember how many times you've used it so there isn't a shock when the CC bill arrives.

RNE Nov 7, 2019 12:02 pm

Enterprising! ^

Steve in Olympia Nov 8, 2019 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Armin Tamzarian (Post 31712130)
Why? It's just a version of manufactured spending. There are plenty of bartenders, servers, etc who will use their credit card with a restaurant bonus when customers pay cash. It's just like a cash advance with that extra % bonus. Most establishments have so many CC transactions that they're not going to mind a few extra although it can look bad when an employee is pocketing the cash you just gave them. I've done it when working at a bartending job. Just remember to use that cash to pay off the CC bill and remember how many times you've used it so there isn't a shock when the CC bill arrives.

I am sure that your employer doesn’t mind paying the excessive card processing fees that you have generated. And I am sure that you checked first with your employer, and they said, “Sure, no problem! Help yourself!”

vm81 Nov 8, 2019 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia (Post 31717046)
I am sure that your employer doesn’t mind paying the excessive card processing fees that you have generated. And I am sure that you checked first with your employer, and they said, “Sure, no problem! Help yourself!”

And not just the processing fee. I am sure employer is loving that his supposed cash income just turned into taxable.

Steve in Olympia Nov 8, 2019 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by vm81 (Post 31717252)
And not just the processing fee. I am sure employer is loving that his supposed cash income just turned into taxable.

That cash revenue wasn’t “just turned into taxable.” It was always taxable income. It just went from “unreported taxable income” to “reported taxable income.”

vm81 Nov 8, 2019 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia (Post 31717461)
That cash revenue wasn’t “just turned into taxable.” It was always taxable income. It just went from “unreported taxable income” to “reported taxable income.”

I agree...thats what I meant. Just didnt put it in those words. Ofcourse its all taxable regardless of what form of monetary instrument it is.

Steve in Olympia Nov 8, 2019 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by vm81 (Post 31717474)
I agree...thats what I meant. Just didnt put it in those words. Ofcourse its all taxable regardless of what form of monetary instrument it is.

We all knew what you meant! I was simply perfecting my pedantry.

GUWonder Nov 9, 2019 1:39 pm

If I were to encounter this at a venue that has gone “cash-free”, I would hope to thank the server/cashier/bartender/receptionist and say “keep the change” ... as long as the change amount wasn’t some substantial percentage of the transaction.