Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by cxua
Does Chase claw back free night cert if cancel?
They do not
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Willbur
They do not
I would think they do claw back IF you cancel right away after getting a certificate. If you have a certificate from your last renewal a couple of months ago I would think it would be different.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:57 am

No more Chase IHG MasterCard?

Originally Posted by Super Mario
I think that would make sense for Chase to get into the premium hotel game as they are trying to go toe to toe with Amex these days.

If they don't do it right, there's a chance I may make the leap from IHG and get an Aspire. That baseline IHG card seems worthless, and shouldn't even have an annual fee.
I just went to Chase.com. The IHG Master Card is not listed on their web site
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by harwich
I just went to Chase.com. The IHG Master Card is not listed on their web site
It is still offered on the IHG site., which redirect to the Chase site:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg...0K-FQ7R-1TP-v1
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:16 pm

Chase IHG Cardholders That Opened Accounts 1/1/18 To 4/5/18 Will Have Free Night Certificate Grandfathered For First Year

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...reglass_params
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
This is a bummer. These free nights are one of the best values of all loyalty programs. Me and my SO easily got at least a value of $250 from each night. We would use them at an inclusive in Mexico (Ixtapa or Los Cabos) or in Vegas at the Palazzo or Venetian. The best value we ever got was a holiday weekend in Vegas where rooms were going for $399 a night. Now from what I have seen, we can only do the Los Cabos All-Inclusive. But hopefully, since our anniversaries fall in this month and our new free night certs will be issued this month, that those will still be good for any category since the new rules won't take affect until 5/1. I will checking those as soon as they hit my account.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Still unclear on whether the annual fee for existing cardholders will stay at $49. T

Their new restriction on the free night certificate for hotels costing up to 40k points will make it hard for me to use them in places like NYC. This is the same problem I had with the Marriott annual free nights for Cat 1 to 5, even a dive in NYC is Cat 6. I can understand why they want to limit it to be worth only 40,000, but they should allow usesr to pick a higher category and just pay additional points. For example, how about a free night certificate plus 10,000 points for a hotel that charges 50,000 points?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:13 pm

If the change was necessary due to people placing the card in their sock drawer, and only using the annual free night, I would have preferred that they simply issue 40,000 points annually versus the restricted free night.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by EdofFX
Still unclear on whether the annual fee for existing cardholders will stay at $49.
I would speculate that the annual fee will remain at $49, as the letter would have likely stated otherwise. In addition, the letter also mentioned an upcoming opportunity to upgrade to the Premier IHG card in the future.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by christianj
I would think they do claw back IF you cancel right away after getting a certificate. If you have a certificate from your last renewal a couple of months ago I would think it would be different.
No.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by EdofFX
Still unclear on whether the annual fee for existing cardholders will stay at $49. T

Their new restriction on the free night certificate for hotels costing up to 40k points will make it hard for me to use them in places like NYC. This is the same problem I had with the Marriott annual free nights for Cat 1 to 5, even a dive in NYC is Cat 6. I can understand why they want to limit it to be worth only 40,000, but they should allow usesr to pick a higher category and just pay additional points. For example, how about a free night certificate plus 10,000 points for a hotel that charges 50,000 points?
You can always dream. Probably won't happen though. I'd also like the 40K each yr.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:35 pm

Never so happy to have gotten a ‘provide us with more information’ to be approved letter before. Thought I wasted a 5/24 slot...
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Chase IHG Cardholders That Opened Accounts 1/1/18 To 4/5/18 Will Have Free Night Certificate Grandfathered For First Year
So they help out some card holders, but not those of us who opened the card 5/1/17-12/31/17? How nice
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by mroseman13
So they help out some card holders, but not those of us who opened the card 5/1/17-12/31/17? How nice
seriously. That’s BS. I got my card July 2017. I never even got a free night cert. was looking forward to using it. Time to cancel I guess.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RedElmo
seriously. That’s BS. I got my card July 2017. I never even got a free night cert. was looking forward to using it. Time to cancel I guess.
So you can't get more than $49 of value out of a free 40k point redemption with mid-tier status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.