Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

How exactly are you guys requesting match to 80K and what are you saying? Am trying to apply for spouse and the best I see is 60K + $50 statement credit, so thinking of biting the bullet and asking for a "match"
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by frmnj
How exactly are you guys requesting match to 80K and what are you saying? Am trying to apply for spouse and the best I see is 60K + $50 statement credit, so thinking of biting the bullet and asking for a "match"
that is what I did. Chase welcomes matching via SM.
you can take a screenshot of this if needed
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg...plus?CELL=6JLF

Alternatively, register for IHG and you might run into 80k offer. I got one after I already had the card. I personally wouldn't bother with this since chase always matches offer.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:15 pm

I applied for the IHG card 60k offer for wife last night and got please call us soon screen.

So called today and after long hold the rep verified name/address/social/income/employer and then started asking about why I had 8 new accounts in past 12 mos. Told her it was bc of work/travel/etc, stay at a lot of hotels so like to use the hotel cards that get me 3-5x pts and rep seemed cool with it.

Then put me on a long hold to review my credit (15 mins) and eventually came back and denied bc of too many new accounts in past 12 mos..

Argued for a while, asked to move credit, etc but rep wouldn't budge..
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:29 pm
Suspended

I assume you had read this and/or other Chase-related threads before applying?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by jsk1973
I assume you had read this and/or other Chase-related threads before applying?
Yea I did but I guess not close enough. I honestly haven't done much cc stuff in a few months but I was aware of chase's new 5 card/24 month rule but thought it didn't apply to co-branded cards like IHG.

Sounds like now you can't even call in at all even on co-branded cards if you go pending so there's no hope either for reconsideration if you're a churner?

It was just weird bc as soon as I applied, it said to call in, which is usually a verification issue (this is wife's card and we just got married (new last name) and moved so figured it had to be one of those) IME. But the # they gave me was lending services which is same as reconsideration I think so I should have hung up?

I'm pretty confused at this pt...
Old Jan 3, 2016, 7:01 pm
Suspended

The 5/24 rule doesn't apply to co-branded cards but the "Don't call!" maxim certainly does, as do, of course, Chase's usual underwriting standards.

If you're an existing Chase customer, asking for recon via SM seems to be the higher-percentage play.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by jsk1973
The 5/24 rule doesn't apply to co-branded cards but the "Don't call!" maxim certainly does, as do, of course, Chase's usual underwriting standards.

If you're an existing Chase customer, asking for recon via SM seems to be the higher-percentage play.
I've had similar #'s of accounts/inquiries every year for past 5-6 years, never had a problem calling in to Chase and getting them to approve me I guess things have changed.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:44 am
Vay

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat.
I tried the link in the wiki for 80k and $50 statement credit. I was redirected to the 60k landing page.

I logged into IHG and searched for reservations to see what credit offers I would receive. After clicking Check Rates, you would see what is being offered to you.

First I received the offer for 60k and $50 statement credit.

Went incognito mode and tried again. I saw the 80k and $50 statement credit. Click on the link and it took me to the landing page. Clicked Apply Now and it took me to the application page with no redirection to the 60k offer. I just applied and got approved.

It'll take you to the offer with the code FGKL, same as the wiki. If it works, it'll take you to the page where the offer code is 6ZZN. I did some more testing, it seems you have to be logged into IHG, make a reservation, click on the link from the bottom of the page after checking rates, then click apply. Information on first page of the app is pre-populated from your IHG account.

Last edited by Vay; Jan 4, 2016 at 2:45 am Reason: grammar
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond Elite, IHG Platinum Elite, SPG
Originally Posted by buvan
When did you do this? I am planning to apply. Thanks in advance..
I have applied and matched the 80K via SM ... thanks guys
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by wholeinone04
I applied for the IHG card 60k offer for wife last night and got please call us soon screen.

So called today and after long hold the rep verified name/address/social/income/employer and then started asking about why I had 8 new accounts in past 12 mos. Told her it was bc of work/travel/etc, stay at a lot of hotels so like to use the hotel cards that get me 3-5x pts and rep seemed cool with it.

Then put me on a long hold to review my credit (15 mins) and eventually came back and denied bc of too many new accounts in past 12 mos..

Not trying to rub it in, just another data point, but I applied for the 60k+$50 offer with exactly 8 new cards in 12 months as well. Instantly approved for my 6th open Chase card.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond Elite, IHG Platinum Elite, SPG
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Not trying to rub it in, just another data point, but I applied for the 60k+$50 offer with exactly 8 new cards in 12 months as well. Instantly approved for my 6th open Chase card.
Nice to hear.. try to match 80K points via Secure Message...
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:20 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Originally Posted by waygora
Just did this, they were happy to match to the 80K
When do you SM Chase. I am currently in the "We will let you know within 30 days". What reason do you give for requesting the match? Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Don't SM until after your app is approved.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by wholeinone04

I had a very similar experience on my recent British Airways application (except I opened 15 accounts in 2015). I played dumb and said I recently started travelling more and wanted to get all of the hotel and airline credit cards to earn the most points and that I didn't know it was a bad thing to open new accounts. After a 5 minute lecture and then being placed on hold, she offered to move credit from some of my other Chase cards. I had recently decreased the CL on one of my other cards via SM in hopes of getting auto-approved so that kind of back-fired.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:55 pm

Earlier today I was on a recon line with Chase about my United MP application. Thankfully, they approved it. Now I'd like to apply for the IHG card. Is a month a reasonable time to wait?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.