FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1740614-united-explorer-card-2015-2021-a.html)

t325 May 31, 2015 8:22 pm

United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021)

I met the min spend on my new UA MP Explorer and am anxiously awaiting for my bonus points to post to my UA account so I can book an award flight for an upcoming trip. AFAIK, the bonus (plus points earned from spend) post to the UA account shortly after the statement closes.

I'm trying to figure out my closing date for the first statement. If I view the account information online, it says the next closing date is unavailable. However, it also says the first payment due is 6/26.

I noticed a pattern with my other Chase cards that there's the same number of days between closing date and due date, specifically 28 days (in months that have 31 days). For example, my Freedom has a due date 6/22, with a closing date of 5/25. When I got a new CSP this past month, it had a due date of 6/22 as well, and like the MP, initially said the next close date was not available. But, just like my Freedom, the closing date ended up being 5/25. The same pattern applies to my Chase Amazon - closing date of 5/12, due date of 6/9, which comes out to 28 days.

So, if the MP payment is due due 4 days later than the CSP, I expected it to close 4 days later than the CSP, which would've been May 29, this past Friday. But it still hasn't closed yet. Anyone know if the MP card follows a different pattern and when I should expect it to close? Thanks

FrugalShopper Jun 1, 2015 1:39 am

Your statement will cut on 6/1 (today). This is because a Chase calendar has 28 days. You have 25 days to pay a personal and 22 days to pay a business. Do the math and this will explain the dates on your other cards as well. The 29th, 30th and 31st do not exist on Chase's calendar. So if your due date is on the 26th, 27th, or 28th (23rd-28th for business cards), you don't get those extra 2-3 days to pay your bill most months!

greatname Dec 31, 2015 2:48 pm

United Explorer Card [new name]

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 25838132)
Update on this:
- I transferred some UR points to my United account at the beginning on November.
- I earned a couple hundred United miles through the MPX app in the middle of November.

One of these did indeed trigger the 50k offer. I can't say which one did it for sure, but I got a letter in the mail this week that says "Congratulations on recently earning miles", and offers 50k miles for $2k spend in the first month, plus 5k for adding an AU.

I never got an email - that probably would have been easier to link directly to one of these point-adding events. I have no idea what their mail cycle is like, - it could take them 2 weeks to get an offer out to you, or it could take a month. Maybe they do a batch run of everybody who earned points that month at the end of every month. Who knows. Either way, one of these things definitely did trigger the 50k offer.

The offer is good until 1/31, so you've got a little time if you do get one. Maybe do your transfer/MPX 5-6 weeks before you plan to apply for the card, so you've got a little cushion on both sides.

FWIW, this letter is definitely from United, not Chase. I think I may have all marketing emails from United turned off. If you have yours turned on, you may get an email much more quickly than you would get a letter.

I am also interested in applying. I wonder if UA reviews files the end of the month and send out mail/email the beginning of the month...

I have been trying to get targeted 50k offer as well this last month but have not received any email/mail yet.

I would love to stop by a branch and apply but the nearest one will be a 4-6hour drive!

krazeenyc Jan 6, 2016 9:02 am

Applied for 50k + 5k for 2k spend + AU on 12/31/15 in branch.

I placed a fraud alert on my credit file.

Waited until today, went to branch to verify my identity. The banker called reconsideration and it was approved no problem.

820 FICO but more than 6 cards opened in the past 24 months.

MrPink Jan 13, 2016 12:18 am

Does anyone know what the best thing to do if you're a current MP MasterCard holder, left over from the OnePass days? Can I just get the Visa right off the bat or do I have to close and then wait?

aza72 Jan 14, 2016 2:57 am

When does the 10K bonus post? Confirmed that I had spent 25K and got the PQD waiver, but the bonus miles didn't show up with the last statement.

eb12 Jan 15, 2016 1:42 pm

in case people are looking, had the 50k + 5k+ $50 statement credit offer when logged in to my mileage plus account yesterday

youngdlplat Jan 17, 2016 7:15 am

Question re Mileage Plus Personal v. Business

I've been thinking about getting the United Mileagelus Explorer Card. Because of a drop off in travel, status is expiring, so the free checked bag has some value to me. But the earnings are inferior which has caused me to pause (we've had the CSP for years now).

I see that the business card offers better benefits. For the same price you get the same general benefits (same bonus, 2 club passes a year, free checked bag, 10,000 bonus miles if you spend $25,000, etc.), but you also get double points on business supply stores, gas, and restaurants (and CSP doesn't give that bonus on gas, so it would make particular sense).

Two questions

(1) For starters, why would Chase make the business benefits so much better than the personal ones? I don't understand the reason for Chase to do that.

(2) I'm an attorney. Can I apply for and use the business card for my business expenses? I'm not a business owner, so I would like to understand who can get the business card and for what purposes.

StartinSanDiego Jan 17, 2016 10:03 am

Moderator Note: I am going to move this to the extensive, ongoing thread, found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...mt-credit.html

Additional information and sign up link for the 50K business card can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...50k-miles.html

Yes, youngdlplat, you can sign up for a business card using your SS in place of an EIN. You would list yourself as a sole proprietor and use gross income.

mongobot Jan 17, 2016 7:13 pm

In case this helps anyone:

UnitedExplorerCard.com/C124 seems to be active for - 50K + 5K additional user, no annual fee for the first year with 2K spend in 3mo. Looks like the offer expires 2/29/16.

ninim2200 Jan 18, 2016 6:14 am

Originally Posted by youngdlplat (Post 26031785)
Two questions
(1) For starters, why would Chase make the business benefits so much better than the personal ones? I don't understand the reason for Chase to do that.

Since you are an attorney...... send Chase a letter asking them why would they do such a thing since NO ONE here would be able to answer you.

ninim2200 Jan 18, 2016 6:19 am

Originally Posted by konoyaro (Post 26034749)
In case this helps anyone:

UnitedExplorerCard.com/C124 seems to be active for - 50K + 5K additional user, no annual fee for the first year with 2K spend in 3mo. Looks like the offer expires 2/29/16.

I believe you have to sign in, and then it will show if you qualify for 50k or 30k.

rihc55 Jan 18, 2016 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200 (Post 26036488)
I believe you have to sign in, and then it will show if you qualify for 50k or 30k.

yeah, 30k for me once i sign in :[

Annexation Jan 20, 2016 6:18 am

I've been thinking about getting the United Mileagelus Explorer Card. Because of a drop off in travel, status is expiring, so the free checked bag has some value to me. But the earnings are inferior which has caused me to pause (we've had the CSP for years now).

I see that the business card offers better benefits. For the same price you get the same general benefits (same bonus, 2 club passes a year, free checked bag, 10,000 bonus miles if you spend $25,000, etc.), but you also get double points on business supply stores, gas, and restaurants (and CSP doesn't give that bonus on gas, so it would make particular sense).

Two questions

(2) I'm an attorney. Can I apply for and use the business card for my business expenses? I'm not a business owner, so I would like to understand who can get the business card and for what purposes.

"By becoming a Visa Business Card cardmember, you agree that the card is being used only for business purposes and that the card is being issued to a public or private company including a sole proprietor or employees or contractors of an organization."

Don't comingle funds and call them to ask if organization is limited to non-profits or a catch-all for all companies, corporations, associations or all sorts and you should have your answer, but the agreement does include employees can use the card and there's nothing about only owners may be "cardmembers". Provisions for employee spending is there, but I'd check with both Chase and your boss if Chase gives an answer that you don't like. I feel like random out of pocket expenses as a lawyer, whether in a big city or a small town, do end up adding up and waiting for reimbursement sometimes is a fight in court of its own.

Originally Posted by ninim2200 (Post 26036469)
Since you are an attorney...... send Chase a letter asking them why would they do such a thing since NO ONE here would be able to answer you.

Hey demand letters cost money! That $50 statement credit would vanish before he writes the address down!

Long Islander Jan 20, 2016 6:38 am

I'm an attorney. Can I apply for and use the business card for my business expenses? I'm not a business owner, so I would like to understand who can get the business card and for what purposes.

Yes, you can apply but be prepared to answer a lot of questions about annual revenue, annual expenses and the type of expenses, how you develop clients, number of employees, number of years in business, etc.