Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2013, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

IHG vs Hyatt vs Marriott card offers

Right now I have received the following offers:

IHG credit card with 60k points,
Marriott credit card with 70k points, and
Hyatt credit card with 2 free nights.

If you were to apply one, which one of these has the most value? Right now I have SPG (which I like a lot) and Hilton (which I no longer want to collect any more points from). I am not familiar with the above three programs and want to pick one to replace Hilton. Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Depends.

Are you looking for the best sign up bonus? The most valuable points?

What kind of hotels do you like staying at? Biz or pleasure?

I have both the IHG and the Hyatt. I haven't used either since getting and using the bonus. I keep in the sock drawer for the free annuals.

Used both to patch together a nice week long trip to AMS and CDG. (80k points x 2--wife and myself--was four nights at the Intercontinental Amsterdam. Chase Hyatt gave me 2 nights at the end of the trip at the Park Hyatt Vendome. Almost $4k in hotels...)

So, for a sign up bonus, I like them both equally.

For long term strategy, I like the IHG because of the 2x gas, groceries, restaurant categories. Hyatt card is hard to earn points (unless you stay at Hyatts a lot--but, again, they don't have a big footprint).

Not a fan of Marriott...
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Depends.

Are you looking for the best sign up bonus? The most valuable points?

What kind of hotels do you like staying at? Biz or pleasure?

I have both the IHG and the Hyatt. I haven't used either since getting and using the bonus. I keep in the sock drawer for the free annuals.

Used both to patch together a nice week long trip to AMS and CDG. (80k points x 2--wife and myself--was four nights at the Intercontinental Amsterdam. Chase Hyatt gave me 2 nights at the end of the trip at the Park Hyatt Vendome. Almost $4k in hotels...)

So, for a sign up bonus, I like them both equally.

For long term strategy, I like the IHG because of the 2x gas, groceries, restaurant categories. Hyatt card is hard to earn points (unless you stay at Hyatts a lot--but, again, they don't have a big footprint).

Not a fan of Marriott...
I am looking to maximize the number of nights in Europe and Asia. I don't mind categories 1-4 hotels as long as they are nice and clean. Examples of places are Bali, Hong Kong, Thailand, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, New Zealand, etc. So I am looking for a program that has a lot of footprints of low-mid level properties.

From what you said, Hyatt won't be an option.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL
I would definitely suggest not going for Hyatt unless you know there is a good place to use the initial 2 nices. I also stayed with it at the Park Hyatt Venodome, and thought it was a great value. We were only planning on spending 2 nights in Paris, so it worked out really well. One other thing I've found to like about IHG is that there seem to be alot more bonus point opportunities than with Marriott.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:32 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jrey
I am looking to maximize the number of nights in Europe and Asia. I don't mind categories 1-4 hotels as long as they are nice and clean. Examples of places are Bali, Hong Kong, Thailand, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, New Zealand, etc. So I am looking for a program that has a lot of footprints of low-mid level properties.
Odds are, the IHG signup bonus will go farthest. You should be looking at an 80k signup (there's a thread on FT for it). That's likely enough for 3-5 nights in lower end properties. If you can hit pointbreaks, it can be far more. Plus it doesn't hurt to have platinum status; makes the stay easier when you have a little bit nicer of a room.

The Marriott card could easily get you 4-5 nights in low-end properties in the USA but in your destinations, there tend to be fewer options, so it would probably look more like 2-3 nights.

Best bet would be to go look at the exact destinations you want and see what point totals are needed.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Odds are, the IHG signup bonus will go farthest. You should be looking at an 80k signup (there's a thread on FT for it). That's likely enough for 3-5 nights in lower end properties. If you can hit pointbreaks, it can be far more. Plus it doesn't hurt to have platinum status; makes the stay easier when you have a little bit nicer of a room.

The Marriott card could easily get you 4-5 nights in low-end properties in the USA but in your destinations, there tend to be fewer options, so it would probably look more like 2-3 nights.

Best bet would be to go look at the exact destinations you want and see what point totals are needed.
Thanks! Just applied and got approved for the IHG with 80k sign up. After reviewing these programs, it just reminds me of why I love SPG so much..
Old Sep 28, 2013, 5:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
IHG vs Hyatt vs Marriott

Look into the Club Carlson too. 85k miles and second award night free. Amsterdam 2 nights in several properties 50k
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrey
Thanks! Just applied and got approved for the IHG with 80k sign up. After reviewing these programs, it just reminds me of why I love SPG so much..
I'm like you...huge SPG fan. IHG (for ICs) is my runner up! The point earning opportunities on the IHG Visa are much better than the SPG Amex. And, the bonus will go much farther. You're right to avoid Hyatt and Marriott for the areas/redemptions you're looking at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.