FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   United MileagePlus Explorer Business card: Various offers up to 100K (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1474409-united-mileageplus-explorer-business-card-various-offers-up-100k.html)

Stgermainparis Mar 18, 2019 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by DnvTrvlr (Post 30903243)

Offer expired around 2 pm I believe.

UGH!!! I was at work and couldn't get to it. I'm so annoyed. Oh well. There's others, but I had a strategy all worked out.

qmacker Mar 31, 2019 3:38 pm

Anyone know what happens to the bonus points if you applied on the last day (3/18/19) of the 75K offer, and you got a “We need to review your request a little longer” message?

Suppose they OK/approve your application 7 days later (3/25/19) does that mean you are on the standard/current 50K bonus offer, or will you still get the 75K points if you meet the spend requirement?

good_boy_1234 Mar 31, 2019 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 30794302)
It depends what you mean by "counts toward the 5/24"? If you mean after approval, whether getting this card affects your 5/24 count, then you should say: "would getting this card increase my 5/24 count"? If you mean before approval, whether you need to be under 5/24 to get this card, you should says: "do I need to be under 5;/24 to get this card". "Count toward" could mean either of those things to different people (even if to you it only seems to mean one of those things), and that's why I say it's too "murky" a term to be useful.

If the former ("would getting this card increase my 5/24 count", what you need to know is that:

a) Chase only counts cards they see on your EQ/EX/TU credit report. Even though they could also count cards within their system, they haven't so far.
b) Most banks (the main exceptions being Cap One and Discover) don't report business cards (in good standing) to EQ/EX/TU, and thus those cards are "invisible" to Chase's 5/24 counting process.

And thus the answer for this particular card is "no".

If the latter, there are very few Chase cards left that don't require being under 5/24 to get approved. Most of them were hotel cards which have either just been discontinued or have been upgraded to new versions in the past year, and the new versions of those may require being under 5/24 to get approved (even though the old versions, which you can no longer apply for, didn't).

And thus the answer for this particular card is "yes".

My chase Chase business ink actually shows on my credit report and was counted towards my 5/24...

good_boy_1234 Mar 31, 2019 11:08 pm

Was just approved for this card (was not interested in the 75K offer because I believe it's not worth $5K spend). I basically have close to 300K ultimate reward points but I no longer have any of those chase cards that you can transfer points to a travel partner ( can get that later though). I am thinking of using this new card for the 50,000 bonus then keep in my account until I re-apply for those transfer cards again (not interested to keep it when annual fees hit) and then transfer points to united and combine points:

1) Do you think it's worth it to use the card for 2 miles per dollar spend after I reach the $3K for the 50K signup bonus?
2) Any other recommendations regarding this card or other strategies to get most of the points? It was a while ago since I searched when I had chase travel CCs and found that the best way - then- to get most of the points is to transfer to united and get those nice discounted business flights.

mia Apr 1, 2019 7:23 am

Originally Posted by good_boy_1234 (Post 30951174)

1) Do you think it's worth it to use the card for 2 miles per dollar spend ...

This depends entirely on your alternatives. Do you have other cards that earn more value per dollar in the same categories? Would you start working to earn a new account bonus on another card?

sdsearch Apr 1, 2019 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by good_boy_1234 (Post 30951164)
My chase Chase business ink actually shows on my credit report and was counted towards my 5/24...

Was the card always on your credit report, or did you have some problem with and they started reporting it after that? The official line is that most banks' (Discover and Cap One the main exceptions) business cards don't show up on EQ/EX/TU (personal) credit reports as long as the card is "in good standing".

Certainly most people;s Chase business cards don't show up on EQ/EX/TU credit reports (other than the inquiry from the initial application), so I'm wondering why yours does.

dgun25 Apr 1, 2019 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by good_boy_1234 (Post 30951174)
Was just approved for this card (was not interested in the 75K offer because I believe it's not worth $5K spend). I basically have close to 300K ultimate reward points but I no longer have any of those chase cards that you can transfer points to a travel partner ( can get that later though). I am thinking of using this new card for the 50,000 bonus then keep in my account until I re-apply for those transfer cards again (not interested to keep it when annual fees hit) and then transfer points to united and combine points:

1) Do you think it's worth it to use the card for 2 miles per dollar spend after I reach the $3K for the 50K signup bonus?
2) Any other recommendations regarding this card or other strategies to get most of the points? It was a while ago since I searched when I had chase travel CCs and found that the best way - then- to get most of the points is to transfer to united and get those nice discounted business flights.

1) I think mia is correct. It totally depends on what the goals are. Are you trying to pick up united miles? If you were indeed going to put more spend on the card, you may have been better with the 75k offer, as it would have been 12.5x for the 2k spend that you are contemplating making anyways. The only way to hit that kind of multiplier is to start another card. You mention, you no longer have the other chase transfer cards. Any of them? I would go for any of the business cards (CIU, ink preferred) or move to the personal versions/explorer card if you are under 5/24. Hop that helps. By the way, my ink cash didn't count towards 5/24 for me.

Traveler56789 Apr 2, 2019 7:42 am

Rental Car Insurance

Does anyone know the rental car policy for the United Explorer business car? I can't find the policy anywhere online. The travel benefits guide in the Wiki is for the personal card, not the business.

I'm trying to determine if the card provides CDW insurance when renting in the USA for personal (not business) reasons? I don't own a car and thus do not have my own insurance.

Other Chase business cards (e.g., chase ink) do provide CDW primary coverage if you're renting for personal reasons and do not have your own primary insurance policy. I assume the Explorer Business has the same policy, but need to confirm.

mia Apr 2, 2019 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Traveler56789 (Post 30956104)
...I don't own a car and thus do not have my own insurance.

If you do not have other insurance the distinction between primary and secondary coverage collapses. The card insurance will cover the rental. However, be aware that the card only covers damage to the rental car. You are at risk for damage to other property or injury to people.

Traveler56789 Apr 2, 2019 8:01 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 30956148)
If you do not have other insurance the distinction between primary and secondary coverage collapses. The card insurance will cover the rental. However, be aware that the card only covers damage to the rental car. You are at risk for damage to other property or injury to people.

Thanks. Does this apply to personal rentals too? I'm planning to rent the car on vacation, using the business card.

mia Apr 2, 2019 8:27 am

You are covered unless the benefit provides NO coverage for personal rentals. If you did not save the printed booklet shipped with the card, and cannot locate the PDF version online, ask Chase to send it again.

StartinSanDiego Apr 2, 2019 9:08 am

Originally Posted by qmacker (Post 30950171)
Anyone know what happens to the bonus points if you applied on the last day (3/18/19) of the 75K offer, and you got a “We need to review your request a little longer” message?

Suppose they OK/approve your application 7 days later (3/25/19) does that mean you are on the standard/current 50K bonus offer, or will you still get the 75K points if you meet the spend requirement?

You will get the 75K points once approved.

qmacker Apr 3, 2019 12:27 pm

@StartinSanDiego Thank you!

Diplomatico Apr 5, 2019 12:44 pm

United eliminating award charts in November (and close-in booking fees.) Significantly reduces the value of this card, IMO.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-booking-fees/

good_boy_1234 Apr 6, 2019 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 30968990)
United eliminating award charts in November (and close-in booking fees.) Significantly reduces the value of this card, IMO.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-booking-fees/

So this means 60-80K business saver international flights to Europe/Australia are gone?! This blows since I have been racking up ultimate reward points (close to 300K) and just got the business united explorer...if I remember well, transferring points to united to get the business saver awards was the best value of UR points, even was better than the %150 travel value with chase reserve...