Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use Chase Ink Business card for car rental?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa, onepass, skymiles
Use Chase Ink Business card for car rental?

Sorry if this was discussed before...

Just got a Chase Ink Plus business card.

Thinking of using it to book a car rental on an upcoming vacation. I've priced rentals and the UR site's Travel section has a super deal. But when it comes to payment, it insists on using the Ink card -- it won't let me substitute my personal cc (an AMEX). So the only way I can latch onto this deal (thru UR) is to pay for it with my Ink business card.

I read the card T&C, and while it does cover car rentals, there seems to be a difference between "business" and "personal use". I certainly couldn't justify this rental as "business", so it seems I might fall under the personal usage -- in nwhich case the cc coverage becomes Secondary, and I'd have to file with my own insurance first.

Has anyone any experience using a Business cc to pay for obviously personal expenses, esp iun regards to a car rental?

Thanks
Scott
Old Nov 20, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Get a Chase Sapphire Preferred card; same bennies but for personal use...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:26 pm

I don't have any experience with using one of the Inks to pay for a car rental. However, using common sense, I don't think you are going to get denied any bonus points because it is a "personal" rental. I have about 10 weekly rentals throughout the year, and have never been asked if it is for business or personal. The points are awarded on the "back end" based on what vendor the payment is processed through. When a payment comes through from National, Hertz, etc, it will automatically be coded as "car rental" and you will get whatever bonus points you are entitled to.

Someone should correct me if I am wrong, but I am speaking from personal experience (with National) and this is what I think the correct answer is.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
I don't think the OP is worried about any bonus points but the fact that if there is an accident, his primary insurance will take the hit first while the CC will pay any excess costs. I think this is the case since it's a business card and the terms mention that it's for business car rental.

Are you sure it won't allow you to use the AMEX CC? I know it has a message indicating that you have to use your Chase CC, but many others here have just went on and used another card without any problems.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:37 pm

lol good call... i stopped reading halfway through the second paragraph and completely missed the part about insurance... at least someone was paying attention

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.