Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with my Panama City Layover

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Need help with my Panama City Layover

I have a few questions on my 10 hour Panama City layover. I will be traveling on Copa Business class from SCL-PTY-ORD.

1. Will I have access to Copa Lounge for a shower before going to the city
2. As per my reading, boats transit through Panama Canal(Miraflores locks) before 9 or after 2 pm. Can anyone confirm this?
3. I am planning to take a Uber/Taxi to Miraflores locks - how much it would cost?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I am sure there is a thread about similar questions but could not find it.
1. I don't think there is a shower in any of the Copa lounges.
2. I think the hours were extended from 8-8 this past month. double check on their website
3. Uber is about 25 $ or so - give or take. not sure how long it takes.

The visitor center and watching the boats cross the canal is very anti-climactic
I was not impressed at all. Maybe if I would be in the boat things would look different.
I am sure many will disagree

found the old thread
Copa, PTY looooong layover

Last edited by keisari; Feb 9, 2019 at 5:39 pm Reason: new information
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: UA
Business Class of course gives you Copa Club access. PTY Copa Club has a door with a "Showers" sign, and it's noted on the Copa website. I've never used it. Also, I'd save that shower until after your trip into the city, which will very hot and humid.

A transiting ship is not anyone's definition of "thrilling", watching a ship rise slowly for 20 minutes. But clearly a strong attraction for many, and worth seeing once.

The Copa forum has plenty of threads discussing long layovers.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I was in the PTY Copa lounge a couple of years ago and there were no showers
The star alliance website does not mention shower in the facilities section under PTY lounge Copa
The Copa website is not very descriptive of each specific lounge it owns
https://www.staralliance.com/en/airp...irportCode=PTY
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I would agree that the Miraflores Locks are both a little boring and worth seeing once. It's a good thing to do in Panama City on a layover. As I recall, the normal times were before 10 and after 2 pm, but as someone else posted, check their website to be sure.

I haven't gone straight from the airport but I'd guess it would be 25-30 minutes away. Take an Uber over a taxi, it's significantly cheaper if you're going to the canal. From downtown, I took an Uber there and a (waiting) taxi back, and the Uber was about half the price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.