Panama PTY detains 100's of passengers daily! I was one of them this week

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Panama PTY detains 100's of passengers daily! I was one of them this week

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: UA
Given the corroborating account posted by pmarrsouth above, I'm buying the facts of the OP's story, namely that he was detained and deported from transiting Panama based on a trivial US criminal matter. We can all debate the reasons. Panama has had more than a few international scoundrels and scandals, I can understand them being a little more selective (just not this selective).

Question to OP: did you get refunded for your leg PTY-POS? Were you forced to purchase your return PTY-BOG or does the airline eat the cost?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by 20111
I have just been released from a harrowing and extremely unpleasant 30 hours detention at panama PTY airport for no valid reason!
No food, water, phone call, information or english speakers meant I just had to sit in a windowless empty room for 30 hours not knowing what I had done, or if I would ever be released.
Eventually they led me up to a gate and put me on a flight back to my origin, with no explaination given.

As a british citizen i usually travel freely without visa to most countries and when i checked my flight to Trinidad via PTY Panama I wasn't concerned about needing a visa. However when I landed there were officers checking people off the plane and I got grabbed along with a few others (who I have not seen before or since.)
I was led to a room with a couple of guys wearing US immigration tags and who seemed to be checking people with an intention of heading north to the US.
I have no interest or reason to go to the US and dont need a visa for that anyway, so have no idea why I was hauled in. They wanted to know the reason for my travel and confiscated my phone & laptop, then said I had to wait for 'enquiries'
This turned into 30 hours of extreme worry and inhuman treatment without any legal oversight or care for human rights (no food, water, communications, or access to consular advice)
I post this thread as a warning and am also reporting to UK foreign office, to warn all travellers not to connect via PTY - unless you dont mind facing the same treatment that happened to me.
I am a white, middle aged, married businessman, smartly dressed, no criminal or other history that would explain the situation I was put into. (aside from a speeding ticket in the US several years ago) Now I am wondering is the US controlling Panama and so forcing them to filter every single passenger according to US whim of who is 'acceptable' to enter south America region. It seems this is actually happening!
While I was detained there were literally over 100 people in the same situation as me, mainly from S America regional countries, but also chinese and middle eastern origin nationals. No one knew why they were detained and the staff made absolutely no effort to process us quickly.
They simply left us to wait for as long as they legally could (i found out later that they immigration has 24 hours to make a decision) before finally bothering to call the airline to send people home.
warning to all - avoid PANAMA at any cost. its an unsafe airport to pass through and there should be a warning to all travellers before booking tickets
How fast were you going on your speeding ticket? Did you fail to appear in court? What state did the speeding ticket occur in? Panama isn't going to boot you over a normal speeding ticket, but if you didn't appear in court or were driving recklessly that could get flagged as a previous offence.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
How fast were you going on your speeding ticket? Did you fail to appear in court? What state did the speeding ticket occur in? Panama isn't going to boot you over a normal speeding ticket, but if you didn't appear in court or were driving recklessly that could get flagged as a previous offence.
That's what I was thinking. In some states speeding in excess of x miles over the limit is automatically reckless driving and if in a school zone during school hours can be something worse like reckless endangerment. Happened to a colleague of mine years ago.

OP, a quick search showed: Travelers should be aware that Panamanian immigration law provides for the denial of entry or transit to any person who has a criminal conviction. I don't know the status of your court case but in your shoes I would ask the lawyer you contacted how to manage your travel going forward.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by JBord
Yeah, me neither. I'm betting I have a speeding or parking ticket out there somewhere and have been to PTY twice in the last year. Countries do share criminal data, and I'm guessing Panama is one of the countries that doesn't allow bad elements into the country freely. But I'm not sure that they'd stop a transfer (maybe) and certainly not just for a speeding ticket in another country.
I've been reading this thread for the entertainment value, but I just realized something - why would the US federal government have any information on speeding tickets? Those are a municipal/county matter, aren't they? I can't imagine a massive federal database being set up to enforce local traffic fines at the border (let alone the border of another country altogether). I know the US and other countries share information on criminal convictions -- for example, Canada won't let you in if you've been convicted of a DWI in the US -- but a traffic fine seems pretty low on the priority list...

Not saying it absolutely couldn't have happened, but it just sounds extremely strange.

Edit: uanj's point about this maybe being something rather more than a speeding ticket could explain why it would rise to the attention of federal authorities.
JBord likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:03 pm

Citing from OP's Post #17:
funnily enough im travelling to other latam countries, without any other problems! (brazil, argentina, chile, ecuador etc)
I travel a lot for my business (banking) and am used to visa free access to most countries with no hassles so I was extremely surprised at what happened in Panama.
My phone was confiscated and I was unable to communicate with anyone in spanish.
Business trips (banking!) in these countries + Colombia and Panama without speaking/understanding Spanish?
Redhead likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: Velocity Platinum, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Etihad Gold
OP is dodge as F. Entertaining read. I lived in panama for 4 months and think it’s one of the most safest place in that region.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
Where's the OP? He dropped the grenade and ran... Nice.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by ariel_sjo
Where's the OP? He dropped the grenade and ran... Nice.
I know, right? Oh well, at least I got a couple of days' entertainment out of this thread!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KLouis

Business trips (banking!) in these countries + Colombia and Panama without speaking/understanding Spanish?
As much as I'd hate to be seen defending this indefensible thread, it wouldn't surprise me if banking officials in Panama City flawless English. It's become an international banking hub over the last few years. Besides, he was just transiting Panama. But your point may be valid for Colombia and other destinations in Central/South America.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:38 am

The OP sounds like a troll.

In fact, judging by the OP's writing style, it reminds me of this thread: AMERICAN AIRLINES in decay!! Mispresenting your TRUE destination
Old May 23, 2019, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Let's just please close this thread...
SJOGuy likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:27 pm

IIRC, Panama has the "Canadian" rule where the they treat certain offenses harsher than in their home country.

For example, if you have ever been charged with DWI in the states, even if the charge is processed down, Canada regards that as a felony conviction and will use that to bar you entry into Canada. And the US and the UK give them the information.

What likely happened in this case is that the speeding ticket was seen by Panama as a criminal conviction. The OP should take care before attempting to enter Canada, Panama, or Australia, all of whom have this rule.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by alcathiax
The OP sounds like a troll.

In fact, judging by the OP's writing style, it reminds me of this thread: AMERICAN AIRLINES in decay!! Mispresenting your TRUE destination
Wow - I never saw that thread before. That was ... something.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Wow - I never saw that thread before. That was ... something.
I know I should not really care, but the tone and the capitalization of key words like "AMERICAN AIRLINES" in that other thread and "GUANTANAMO" (see below quote) are what really irritates me. The tone of both passages seems to suggest to me they are big gossipers who are adept to spread false rumors and innuendo.

If I had to put the OP through the troll sniff test, I would venture that there must be some thread on 4chan, 8chan, or other troll board tracking this thread in which the OP is tracking the reactions of the OP's alleged misfortunes.

Originally Posted by JBord
Yeah, me neither. I'm betting I have a speeding or parking ticket out there somewhere and have been to PTY twice in the last year. Countries do share criminal data, and I'm guessing Panama is one of the countries that doesn't allow bad elements into the country freely. But I'm not sure that they'd stop a transfer (maybe) and certainly not just for a speeding ticket in another country.

Either there's more to this story than a speeding ticket, or there's a whole lot less to this story. Based on some of the opinions in the follow up post, I'm starting to wonder if it's the latter.

"This is a truly worry over extension of US power into foreign territories who are compliant to its overbearing stance on 'border protection' (i.e. same as GUANTANAMO). In reality I presented zero risk to panama, but they willingly detain and deport anyone with any criminal history of ANY kind (no matter how small) due to US pressure to do so."

"My travel thru panama should not automatically trigger a criminal record check against US databases. the US should confine its criminal sanctioning to its own territories and not enforce it further afield - especially when it results in the 3rd country actually taking such a hard line to enforce these policies in the hope of gaining favour from the US agents working within its immigration department."

"Beware of travelling there, or you may be caught in the US sponsored net next time!"
I recently got turned down for a job offer on GTMO as a contractor. I'm a bit sad by it, but I can go elsewhere for such positions when they come up.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:36 am

Just another data point: I got off a UIO-PTY flight last week. Just like the OP states, a couple of non-uniformed, lanyard-ed dudes were checking everyone's passports coming off the plane. A very quick glance at mine and I was through, but they were definitely looking for someone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.