Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beaches - West Coast - CR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Beaches - West Coast - CR

We'll be going to CR for our 2nd trip in December. Last trip was Arenal and Tamarindo. This trip will be Monteverde and some other beach, maybe closer to Manuel Antonio.

Time is not a huge factor nor is transportation. I was a bit disappointed with Tamarindo for a number of reasons and do not care to go back. My friend has suggested beaches closer to Manuel Antonio - the type of beach town where we can walk from our lodging to the beach (we are in good shape - 10-15 minutes is OK), rent umbrellas, have decent dinners. She has suggested Quepos, but I am not finding any beaches meeting those requirements.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:35 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by lamphs
She has suggested Quepos, but I am not finding any beaches meeting those requirements.
The beach in Quepos isn't very nice, and the town struck me as, um, meh ....

Local pubic bus goes all the way to Manuel Antonio, to this day one of my most favorite beaches. There are some higher end hotels along the way to MA, but we stayed at motel that was almost on the beach with only trees and palms in the way.

It's been ten years, so that budget option may well have given way to something more expensive given how beautiful the area is, but just Google Manuel Antonio for photos and you'll see. Food was quite good as well.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

EmailKid, thanks very much for the information.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Going to be at Manuel Antonio next week. Staying at a "villa" which is yards from the beach (http://www.espadillaoceanclub.com/). I'll try and remember to report back here my experience.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:01 pm

Much nicer than my motel .... then again, much different rates

Looks nice.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
I'm in Manuel Antonio right now. Espadilla Beach is a long strip of gray sand that is pretty nice. Water is nice and warm. Good waves. Beach is largely gone during high tide. Lots of guys offering to rent you beach chairs and umbrellas. Several restaurants and surf equip rental places. The road from Quepos to here is very windy and steep (not good for walking). If you want to walk to the beach, look for a hotel points south of about the Jungle Hotel (see Google Maps).
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by mangoMan
Lots of guys offering to rent you beach chairs and umbrellas. Several restaurants and surf equip rental places. The road from Quepos to here is very windy and steep (not good for walking
If you are right by Parc Manuel Antonio, then umbrellas and beach chairs are new.

Could have told you about the no walking - but don't know too many people who are walkers like myself, so didn't mention it.

And thanks for the follow up.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:29 pm

Check Playa Biesanz is close to Manuel Antonio and is less transit than the Manuel Antonio beach.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:18 am

lamphs: when you say you stayed in Arenal, was it near the volcano/springs? we are looking for a resort for mid-November and need recommendations.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chevy454
lamphs: when you say you stayed in Arenal, was it near the volcano/springs? we are looking for a resort for mid-November and need recommendations.
Sorry for the delay CHEVY454.

We stayed at the Arenal Manoa hotel. Good property and fairly close to most of the activities we did. We could see the volcano from the porch. We went to the Tabacon Springs for the hot springs...I can take it or leave it, not my thing, but in terms of service, it was good, and I think 15-20 minutes away. The drawback of Arenal Manoa is that we didn't have a car, so a cab ride was $20USD one way to LaFortuna, where there is a good restaurant selection. PM me if you have any other questions.

Have a great trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.