Search

Panama City budget lodging next week

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
Panama City budget lodging next week

Overnighting 11/4,5,6,7.
Have 3* by Canal bridge via hotels.com for $62/night +taxes but can change.
Looking for simple, safe, clean 2*-3* in city center near photo opportunities like markets, stores, historic buildings, etc.; is $40-50 range possible with breakfast, Internet included?
Also, is there pedestrian walk on Pan American Hwy bridge?
Any special events in city during my dates?
I emailed Panama Inst. of Tourism for help but no response.
Do they have US office?
Any leads related to taking street candids of people, attractions, daily activities, Spanish language signage, etc. appreciated.

Last edited by TravelPhotographer; Oct 27, 2010 at 9:55 pm
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I've stayed at the smallish Hotel Marbella in the El Cangrejo district. It's nothing fancy, but it's clean and safe and you can walk around the neighborhood day or night, and that's always a big plus in Panama City. It's the type of place where a Panamanian business traveler who doesn't have a big enough expense account to stay at one of the luxury chains would stay. It's perfectly acceptable.

www.hmarbella.com

A single is $55/night, including taxes. Breakfast is not included, and Internet access costs extra.

Quite honestly, I wouldn't stay at a place that was any less. They exist, but they'd be in very dicey neighborhoods.

As a photographer, you'll go wild in the Casco Viejo, the historic center, with all the colonial architecture. The neighborhood is far removed from the business district, and you'll need to take a taxi to and from.

Panama's Independence Day is Nov. 3, before your arrival.

I'm a travel writer and, quite frankly, I find ATP, the Autoridad de Turismo de Panamá, to be pretty unhelpful. Even just trying to talk to somebody to find out what's new, what should I be covering ... They don't reply. I wouldn't count on them for any help.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
I've stayed at the smallish Hotel Marbella in the El Cangrejo district. It's nothing fancy, but it's clean and safe and you can walk around the neighborhood day or night, and that's always a big plus in Panama City. It's the type of place where a Panamanian business traveler who doesn't have a big enough expense account to stay at one of the luxury chains would stay. It's perfectly acceptable.

www.hmarbella.com

A single is $55/night, including taxes. Breakfast is not included, and Internet access costs extra.

Quite honestly, I wouldn't stay at a place that was any less. They exist, but they'd be in very dicey neighborhoods.

As a photographer, you'll go wild in the Casco Viejo, the historic center, with all the colonial architecture. The neighborhood is far removed from the business district, and you'll need to take a taxi to and from.

Panama's Independence Day is Nov. 3, before your arrival.

I'm a travel writer and, quite frankly, I find ATP, the Autoridad de Turismo de Panamá, to be pretty unhelpful. Even just trying to talk to somebody to find out what's new, what should I be covering ... They don't reply. I wouldn't count on them for any help.
I'm going to be down in Panama City from the 10th till the 13th of February and my criteria is pretty much like the original poster. The Marbella is sold out. Does anybody know of any other budget hotels in a safe area? I'm a single female traveler and really like the smaller budget places where I can get a flavor of the city. Other than clean, safe and having Internet (I'll be checking in with work over the weekend), I'm really not really picky. I've found some great places in other cities and am having a problem finding one in Panama City.. I speak enough Spanish to get by in most Latin and South American cities. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.