Wiki Posts
Search

How bad is new J from HKG to JFK?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2009, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
How bad is new J from HKG to JFK?

Allow me to provide quick context for this question: I am flying NRT to JFK soon, but my company is strongly encouraging cost-cutting, and I have a choice of going via HKG which would save $4,500 over the nonstop J fare on JL. (JL is $9,000, CX is $4,500 via a consolidator.)

But when I think of spending 15-17 hours on a CX flight, I shudder. I know the seats are flat, but I've seen so many criticisms of the new seats here on FT, and the photos do make them look quite claustrophobic.

I might be able to get approval for the JL flight, but in the current climate I would feel guilty spending that much money...

Many thanks for your thoughts!
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Allow me to provide quick context for this question: I am flying NRT to JFK soon, but my company is strongly encouraging cost-cutting, and I have a choice of going via HKG which would save $4,500 over the nonstop J fare on JL. (JL is $9,000, CX is $4,500 via a consolidator.)

But when I think of spending 15-17 hours on a CX flight, I shudder. I know the seats are flat, but I've seen so many criticisms of the new seats here on FT, and the photos do make them look quite claustrophobic.

I might be able to get approval for the JL flight, but in the current climate I would feel guilty spending that much money...

Take CX. I flew JFKNRT F (skysleeper solo) on JL and returned HKGJFK J on CX last month. Other than having fewer midflight snack options and slightly diminished service (F vs J), CX was the better of the two. Unless you are horizontally challenged, you'll be fine in the seat. I found it very comfortable, the IFE is top-notch, and there was no difficulty sleeping on one's side. I've also flown JL J and found that seat to be truly narrow with no privacy, at an uncomfortable angle, with IFE nowhere as good.

Only thing re CX is that I wasn't all THAT impressed with the lounge, though I'll admit I'm a sucker for the curry in the F lounge at NRT (JL).
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:09 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
As oneworld emerald you'll still be able to use the jal lounge which is great at nrt.

CX seat is not good mostly if you're large or travelling with someone. Otherwise since you are comparing a flat seat to jal slant seat, the cx seat is better.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I'd take CX J over JL J in an instant. I don't know what the big fuss is about, really.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:54 am

Programs: BR Diamond, ROP Gold, CX Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sxc
As oneworld emerald you'll still be able to use the jal lounge which is great at nrt.

CX seat is not good mostly if you're large or travelling with someone. Otherwise since you are comparing a flat seat to jal slant seat, the cx seat is better.
+1 ...

When I travel on business, I find that CX J is the ideal seat. I love the privacy (for work and for shut eyes) and the AVOD in-flight entertainment system rocks. Do give CX new J a try and see if you like it. Personally, with the price being so much cheaper than JL, a no brainer for me ...

Last edited by flyerfly; Sep 18, 2009 at 4:57 am Reason: correct typo ...
Old Sep 18, 2009, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Wow, so far the feedback has been immediate and unanimous: CX > JL. Since I am neither large nor traveling with a companion, I guess I don't need to worry about the CX seat.

The only issue that remains is the length of the CX trip... NRT to JFK via HKG is 22-23 hours, compared to 13 hours on the nonstop JL flight. I've done many trans-Pacs but have never taken a trip that long. I'm slightly concerned about going insane somewhere between HKG and JFK...
Old Sep 18, 2009, 6:40 am

Programs: BA DL
I take both JL and CX for JFK-PEK-JFK. CX wins hands down. As you note, for a NRT departure (rather than PEK) the problem is the length of the CX flight. It depends on the value of your time, but if you do go with CX I suggest the later departures from HKG (17:00) and JFK (14:55) to get some sleep.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Wow, so far the feedback has been immediate and unanimous: CX > JL. Since I am neither large nor traveling with a companion, I guess I don't need to worry about the CX seat.

The only issue that remains is the length of the CX trip... NRT to JFK via HKG is 22-23 hours, compared to 13 hours on the nonstop JL flight. I've done many trans-Pacs but have never taken a trip that long. I'm slightly concerned about going insane somewhere between HKG and JFK...
I would go to HK and spend a couple of days there chilling out. NRT-HKG-JFK in one shot is a bit loony, even if the CX seat is a better deal. You're adding at least 8 hours to your travel time.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Take CX. I flew JFKNRT F (skysleeper solo) on JL and returned HKGJFK J on CX last month. Other than having fewer midflight snack options and slightly diminished service (F vs J), CX was the better of the two. Unless you are horizontally challenged, you'll be fine in the seat. I found it very comfortable, the IFE is top-notch, and there was no difficulty sleeping on one's side. I've also flown JL J and found that seat to be truly narrow with no privacy, at an uncomfortable angle, with IFE nowhere as good.

Only thing re CX is that I wasn't all THAT impressed with the lounge, though I'll admit I'm a sucker for the curry in the F lounge at NRT (JL).
Which CX lounge? The one at JFK or HKG? The C or F lounge? The best lounge in ASIA, yes I mean ASIA, is the CX F lounge in HKG. I have yet to see anything better other than SQ's lounge in Singapore.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

You could always fly on AA via ORD, and save even more money for your company!

Remember ex-Japan will always be more on JL than other airlines. In HKG, it will be the reverse. JL tix will be cheaper than CX tickets.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by NYC1K
Which CX lounge? The one at JFK or HKG? The C or F lounge? The best lounge in ASIA, yes I mean ASIA, is the CX F lounge in HKG. I have yet to see anything better other than SQ's lounge in Singapore.
CX F. Didn't think it was all that, but in fairness I spend a lot of time at T5 in LHR so the comparison may not be fair.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
CX F. Didn't think it was all that, but in fairness I spend a lot of time at T5 in LHR so the comparison may not be fair.
We should all be so lucky. My one experience in the CX HKG F lounge was outstanding, and I'm going to have my second in May.

Mike
Old Sep 18, 2009, 9:44 am

...I'll admit I'm a sucker for the curry in the F lounge at NRT (JL).
I totally agree with you.

That curry rocks!
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
You could always fly on AA via ORD, and save even more money for your company!
As far as I can tell, AA via ORD is also very expensive... much more than CX via HKG. Do you know about some biz class special on AA that I'm not aware of?

If AA had a good J fare from NRT-JFK (even via ORD) I would probably choose them over CX just for the convenience (much as I dislike AA and other US airlines).
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Personally, I am not a huge fan of the NRT JL F lounge. I think it's fine, but nothing special. As for the food, it is not really to my liking, but I prefer more snack type food items than full hot meals. Honestly, I prefer the Admirals Club.

As for The Wing/Pier, maybe I'm getting jaded in my old age, or maybe I've just been through it too many times, but it doesn't excite me as much as it used to. I think it's time for CX to come up with a new lounge concept.

For my money, the QF F lounge in SYD (and I would expcet MEL, but I haven't been there yet) is the best Oneworld Lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.