Wiki Posts
Search

Strange op-up experience

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Strange op-up experience

My family (2GOs+1SL) travelled on CX463/25AUG/TPEHKG connecting to JFK, and on 24AUG one of our friend booked on the same flt coincidentally for a meeting in Guangdong. Even though we secured BN1~3 and our friend only got BN70, she was shown upgraded from OLCI in the evening of 24AUG. Since there was a last minute A/C change the flt was operated by a 74A instead of the original 777, F seats was available for J passenger to select, and I was kind enough to select 1A for her after seeing that she was upgraded even though we three were still having seats in Y.

Before arriving at the airport, I checked the OLCI page via my BlackBerry and we were still not op-uped. At the counter, the agent told us that the 2GOs can be upgraded as Y was oversold, but not the SL. We politely asked him to put the SL on priority should more pax were needed to be op-uped, and he said OK. Before boarding, we inquired at the gate if op-up for the SL was possible, but the manager (?) there told us that Y was in fact not full as there were no-shows, so it was impossible to have any extra op-up.

We had no complaints at all and happily accepted the fact that at least 3 out of 4 of us were op-uped, but thought that the process was strange. I thought that op-up priority depend on the BN, but how come someone with BN70 was op-uped earlier + automatically, but someone with BN1 was op-uped later + manually. Our friend did file a complain to CX a couple months ago and received an apology, but she was also given an upgrade certificate, so I don't think CX would upgrade her again (and she did not use her certificate on this flt, who would?). BTW, we 4 are on 4 different PNRs, but I'm not sure whether 3 of us are from the same family, though.

Anyone has any comment regarding this incident?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
What is shown as being op-up'd on OLCI cannot be guaranteed as the final word that you have been op-up'd as CX is still recalculating seat inventories. Your op'up can only be confirmed at the airport.

Basically as SL/GO members, you can be bumped off the list if somone else has a higher membership status as you and if they even checked in later. So you really have no reason to complain because an op-up is not a gurantee in any case.

So say you have been op-up'd and someone comes at the airport and wants to buy a F seat. Guess what, you can be downgraded even at the gate back to your original class you purchased your ticket!
Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:20 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
You don't say what the status of your friend is?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 2:32 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by sxc
Haha yea that kinda seems like the key point here...if he's a DM, he definitely should get it over a GO or SL who has BN 1 or 2
Old Aug 28, 2009, 3:03 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
I know most people here believe in the BN order...but from my own experience, it just seems to be more certain this way ex-HKG only...when it's a flight from the outport, it's usually much more random or the staff there would do something more manual...
Old Aug 28, 2009, 5:01 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I agree - I've never seen much correlation between op-ups and BN.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by sxc
Sorry I forgot to mention that she is GO, too!
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by christep
I agree - I've never seen much correlation between op-ups and BN.
Agreed.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:09 am

Programs: UA,AA,CX,SWA
I never got an op-up at OLCI.

In any event, TPE-HKG is a short flight. Y and J do not make a big difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.