Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Even more bad news from CX, but still some hope

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2009, 5:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

http://www.anna.aero/2009/01/30/cath...-under-threat/

Its worth going to the link to see the charts shown. IT was also confirmed today to me by a FA on my flight from KIX to TPE, there was 9 passengers in C and Y class looked empty. She said there had been a huge amount of last minute cancellations for people not flying for the current holiday

Cathay Pacific sees lucrative Taiwan market under threat; more flights to Paris and Jakarta
30th January 2009 | Airline Analysis | No Comments »

Growing cooperation between the Chinese and Taiwanese governments is bad news for Cathay Pacific; Hong Kong has traditionally been the most popular intermediate point between the two countries and Cathay Pacific currently operates 15 daily flights to Taipei.

This week should be a good one for passenger demand on Cathay Pacific as the Chinese New Year (year of the ox) began on Monday 26 January. However, the growing co-operation between the Chinese and Taiwanese governments regarding non-stop flights between the two countries may be good news for passengers and airlines in those countries but it is bad news for the Hong Kong based airline. Traditionally passengers wishing to travel between the two countries have had to go via an intermediate point, and Hong Kong has been the most popular.

The importance of this link can be seen by the fact that even now Cathay Pacific operates 15 daily flights to Taipei. The next most served destination on its network is Singapore with just six daily departures.

Source: ICAO

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Feb 1, 2009 at 2:12 am Reason: Whole article need not be posted. A link is sufficient
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA,DL,CZ
I am suprised that they consider Taiwan and China two countries. I strongly request them to change the wording.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I respectfully suggest that you need to get out a bit more. To the whole world outside the PRC, China and Taiwan are, de facto two countries, for any reasonable definition of "country".
Old Jan 31, 2009, 4:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

OHMG dont get political things are getting better for the first time in years and we dont want to see Taiwan sending its new pandas back because someone on FT started to think it was part of China
Old Jan 31, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: UA,DL,CZ
Taiwan is part of China. So is Hong Kong. So is Macau. Do you guys know "one country, two system"? The wording should be "between Mainland China and Taiwan" .
Old Jan 31, 2009, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by tylorcl
Taiwan is part of China. So is Hong Kong. So is Macau. Do you guys know "one country, two system"? The wording should be "between Mainland China and Taiwan" .
I guess most people in Taiwan would not agree on that system from what I know, and in fact as previous post mentioned it is defacto two different systems and country/goverment.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Taiwan is an independent country. CX operates the international flight between HKG and TPE. Even now all the charter flight cross Taiwan Strait are considered as international flight and will always be.

The new charter flight certainly will benefit both CI and BR. Still I believe CX has good reputation under the impression that used to be a British company. Also due to notorious china government, Taiwan has limited flight into Europe; there is still some market demand by transferring through HKG. In the near future, there might not be hourly flight between HKG and TPE, still the demand is there.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The article talks about the "Chinese and Taiwanese governments". I thought that this was accepted terminology. After all Hong Kong has its own government and I have seen referred as such in the China Daily.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Back to the topic, I think it is really hard for CX to compete in the Taiwanese market now, with some of their fares still higher than CI/BR/CA/MU/CZ, etc. for Mainland (PC for tylorcl, hopefully) destinations. Would it be more cost-efficient for CX to use KA's A320/321 on TPE-HKG, so they can keep the frequency but reduce the capacity? I really don't want to see CX cutting frequency between TPE and HKG, and I think if they do so, it will be even harder for them to compete.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Feb 1, 2009 at 2:14 am Reason: Some off topic comments
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

ernestnywany is very correct in what he says. But just to point out I still find CX cheaper from TPE to LHR, SFO, LAX in their far superior biz class to the likes of EVA or China Airlines so not sure why they are not picking up the people who are flying what is a way inferior product with these two airlines. I suspect both the EVA and CI have a lot of Taiwan corporates on board and hence they dont make any money out of premium travellers. But no one can deny the massive fall on CX between TPE HKG
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Exclamation

People... please stick with the topic ie CX and not politics otherwise this thread will be closed or siphoned off to OMNI.

Thx

Guy Betsy
Cathay Pacific Asiamiles forum moderator
Old Feb 5, 2009, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Back to the topic, I think it is really hard for CX to compete in the Taiwanese market now, with some of their fares still higher than CI/BR/CA/MU/CZ, etc. for Mainland (PC for tylorcl, hopefully) destinations. Would it be more cost-efficient for CX to use KA's A320/321 on TPE-HKG, so they can keep the frequency but reduce the capacity? I really don't want to see CX cutting frequency between TPE and HKG, and I think if they do so, it will be even harder for them to compete.
CX needs newer planes on TPE-HKG. i fly KA cos there's really no difference i can tell - the planes are old and crappy. if not for miles/existing status i'd go for BR. planes are no better but it's certainly cheaper.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by grimani
CX needs newer planes on TPE-HKG. i fly KA cos there's really no difference i can tell - the planes are old and crappy. if not for miles/existing status i'd go for BR. planes are no better but it's certainly cheaper.
another point for KA - terminal 1 at CKS is a disaster. no retail, lounge sucks.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:35 pm

Programs: OW Sapphire - CX MPC Gold, *A GOLD Turkish, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriot/SPG Gold, BW Diamond
I think CX's lounge in T1 is much better than the BR Lounge KA uses in T2, i agree however that T2 is much better than T1. I' rather they both use a CX+KA lounge and put showers in them.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 4:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by grimani
another point for KA - terminal 1 at CKS is a disaster. no retail, lounge sucks.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.