Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oasis - liquidation?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:35 pm

real shame, they were a decent airline offering cheap flights.

my folks are presently on route from the uk to hk. how they get back home is anyone's guess at the moment.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:53 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by theworld
real shame, they were a decent airline offering cheap flights.

my folks are presently on route from the uk to hk. how they get back home is anyone's guess at the moment.
If they will be protected on CX, what happens if pax booked on Oasis Business class? Will CX put them into CX business class?
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reading through various papers and listening to the local media, it appears almost likely that this will be true. It's already 1pm here in HK and just 3 hours before they make their announcement which will most likely confirm that. Very very sad development though I wasn't entirely surprised it came down to this.

CX must be very happy and relieved that this orange carrier won't be breathing down their necks again on the two routes. On the other hand, definitely not good for consumer pricing.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I'm very sorry to hear this. I thought Oasis had a chance to become the first successful intercontinental / longhaul LLC. The business plan and cautious expansion rate made sense to me.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:14 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO,AC Aeroplan
Not totally dead......Maybe...re-structure by other future potential ower??

From: http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssI...BrandChannel=0
Sources close to Hainan Airlines Co -- China's fourth largest carrier and partially controlled by billionaire George Soros -- said the carrier was interested in buying Oasis in an effort to muscle into Hong Kong's aviation market.

The sources told Reuters the firm had been in discussions for months to acquire a controlling stake in Oasis, and had approached Hong Kong's government about the deal.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
I'm not in HK now but I heard from my wife watching TV in HK that the press conference will in fact be at 2 pm and not 4 pm ? and the Tourism Board saying that there's no previous airline bankruptcy cases in HK before and so not sure what can be done yet, but they're contacting other airlines serving these routes to see if they could help etc...sth like that...
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:34 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

If you booked your flights using your credit card, at least you will get your money back.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by agmhkg
Not totally dead......Maybe...re-structure by other future potential ower??
Apparently that deal's off the table.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=810683
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:28 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
I just heard the press conference was done already, but the CEO (who also lost his job I guess) was in very bad mood and very bad attitude. kept saying that he doesn't know how many affected (even today's flights), don't know what arrangement there would be for people who bought tickets, etc, "no comments" to everything...and only said that his only job today is to get the message out that they're no longer in business...
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:30 am
F 1

This is sad. I just returned last week from HK on Oasis and you can't beat the value.

But after flying with them, I predicted this would happen. My outbound flight from YVR on a Thursday night was 1/2 full. And you could tell that the people on board were those who paid the cheapest of cheap tickets available ($279 plus taxes). There's no way you can survive these days with loads like this.

Cathay's recent announcement of 3 non-stop daily YVR-HKG flights was the nail in the coffin.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:44 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tedhl
I just heard the press conference was done already, but the CEO (who also lost his job I guess) was in very bad mood and very bad attitude. kept saying that he doesn't know how many affected (even today's flights), don't know what arrangement there would be for people who bought tickets, etc, "no comments" to everything...and only said that his only job today is to get the message out that they're no longer in business...
That dude doing most of the talking and answering the questions wasnt the CEO (Stephen Miller). He's the KPMG guy who is taking over the airline for liquidation or whatever. He said he was given the job some 30 mins before the press conference and was informed at 11pm last night... not an excuse for the alck of basic knowledge tho (no. affected on tonights flight). He did say the plane to london is full tho(I tried to book tonights flight before they cut it off, and it was in fact full.)
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I fares still available over the Chinese new year period next yeas as I post (just bought another 2).
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:54 am

Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
CX just announced reacommodation policies

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0010d21c39____

I wonder how CX got those two extra morning prime-time slots at LHR. I bet BAA must be making a one-time exception. Also does anyone know of the return flight (the two extra flights) from LHR to HKG?

Last edited by pacificboot; Apr 9, 2008 at 3:00 am
Old Apr 9, 2008, 3:02 am

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
And the ex-HKG UK I class promotion is starting again this afternoon... HKD24800. Seems not a coincidence to me.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 3:22 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hadsst
And the ex-HKG UK I class promotion is starting again this afternoon... HKD24800. Seems not a coincidence to me.
I would have thought CX would remove their promotional fares in response to Oasis, not put them back on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.