Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX or UA SIN-HKG in Y with no status and a big a**?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2004, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist

I'm going to do a quick jaunt up to HKG to wish GK a happy birthday during my trip to SIN in August. Best fares I could come up with are around 175EUR on CX and 190EUR on UA, both nonstops with good timing.

Since I have zero status on either airline, can anyone make a recommendation based on seating and comfort? Not interested in food or IFE, just (being a bit bigger than the average CX customer, I'd bet) some space. The CX flight is on a 330; don't know about UA.

Thanks everyone.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 6:35 pm
Suspended

FA comfort, smile and service. CX.
Rude FA's, UA.

Join an FF Mileage program!
Old Jun 22, 2004, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1KMMGS, EK Skywards Silver, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by Cygnus X-1
FA comfort, smile and service. CX.
Rude FA's, UA.

Join an FF Mileage program!
Not so sure about that piece of advice. UA has 80 plus seats on that flight in E+ configuration which is about 5-6 inches of extra legroom. That is a big difference. I would even give a nod to UA over CX in the regular Y - my recent flights to SGN and MNL out of HKG were really, really tight.

CX has it on entertainment by a long shot. Food wise, I'd give the nod to CX, though again, I am far from always impressed with their inter-asia Y fare. UA's food can be OK in Y.

UA defiitely has 'em beat on the rude FA's though!! Though there are some nice ones too.

If you want legroom, UA is probably your better choice, especially if you can swing into E+, which should be possible
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:04 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by carbonchaser
If you want legroom, UA is probably your better choice, especially if you can swing into E+, which should be possible
Why do you say that E+ should be possible for someone who has zero status on UA? I thought UA will keep E+ seats empty if no eligible passengers, and fill the E- seats instead (eligible requires UA status or sufficiently high fare, originally full Y but probably any mid level fare is eligible now). Can you share the secret of how to get E+ on UA when not eligible?
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:51 pm

For space in Y I´d go with TG.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 2:15 am

Programs: DL,SQ
Been on CX A330 Economy class and found it uncomfortable. Here are some photos:

http://photos.yahoo.com/jetter1177
Click on the CathayPacific folder.

In one of the photos, you see my knees. I'm around 170cm tall. Seat width is not fantastic, and I suspect I might have a CX standard a**
Old Jun 23, 2004, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Thanks for the replies everyone. I found flights on MH for around 60EUR more. I'll have to connect in KUL, but as a KL Plat I'll get miles, lounge access and preferred seating, so I'm going to go with that. Especially after JetE's photos.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
No miles on CX..

Hi... for the EUR175 fare on CX, chances are that that this is a special promo that is going around Singapore these days.. and that this fare does not offer any miles. UA's fare however, does.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1KMMGS, EK Skywards Silver, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by number_6
Why do you say that E+ should be possible for someone who has zero status on UA? I thought UA will keep E+ seats empty if no eligible passengers, and fill the E- seats instead (eligible requires UA status or sufficiently high fare, originally full Y but probably any mid level fare is eligible now). Can you share the secret of how to get E+ on UA when not eligible?
I know that the issue is now settled (I like MAS as well) but my experience is that there can be a fairly significant net loss of passengers on UA 869 after the stopover in Hong Kong. Odds are that after filling F, C and E+, you would be borderline on passengers with UA status. Even if they don't give it to you E+ at first (my wife has no status and when not flying with me simply asks and has a pretty good hit rate) , you can always ask to waitlist for a specific E+ seat of someone high on the probable upgrade list. When they clear a couple minutes before the flight, there you go. Neat trick - and it works.

Sorry, wrong forum.

And yes, the CX 330 is brutal in Y the 1:30 to Manila last week was plenty
Old Jun 24, 2004, 12:17 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Originally Posted by number_6
My wife just did SEA-LAX on UA in Y.
She has no status on UA or SQ and did not put in any seat request.
But she received an elite (gold/yellow colored) boarding pass and it says "ECONOMY PLUS".

Last edited by StarG; Jun 24, 2004 at 12:19 am Reason: Grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.