Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Is award availability just nonexistent right now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Been looking for a flight from YYZ or JFK to HKG but cannot find anything on the Asia Miles website for some time now, any advice? Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:49 pm

When will you travel? CX has not released its flight schedule for farther out in the future.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:10 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
awards were available. i snagged 4 PeY seats... then only to realize it was on.flight CX had no intention to fly. .long story short dont bother with awards for now.
dw and rt23456p like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I needed to burn some (old-style) Asia Miles before they expired, and I snagged two J seats SIN-HKG. Was not a problem. Plane was at most half full.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:29 am

Nothing within the immediate future for LHR either.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:29 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
I've been looking for HKG-MNL for November to tag onto a long haul (considering it all has to be on one ticket), but nothing. Is it too early, all taken, or non existent?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Barkinpark
When will you travel? CX has not released its flight schedule for farther out in the future.
Looking for September ideally
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:30 pm

Congratulation. OP has reach enlightenment.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
Congratulation. OP has reach enlightenment.
What a joke of a frequent flyer program lol
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by OrganicCannabis
I don't know about other programs. AA miles has lost over 60% of its value since 2008. When CX received $4 billion from HK government, its miles has no value. CX will end up being a local airline at best or just be a flight catering company.
rt23456p and OrganicCannabis like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by OrganicCannabis
also a warning. CX is running this scam "fly worry free" where you can change ur ticket date as much as you wish. for all tickets you can do this online (industry stanard, no surprise there) but i learned hard way that for redemption ticket all free change needs to be done using phone/hotline or you pay 25USD for self service on web.

so knowing awards seat are fluid and they never answer the hotline (i waited 4hr this week) i had to fork out 25USD for change to do it myself
OrganicCannabis likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
AsiaMiles award flights are a problem. Often for best award availability, book far in advance. These days, that will only get one so far. CX will often cancel flights, and they will rebook people on flights 2-3 days away with poor connections. Even if one leg is good, and one is canceled, they will reschedule both. This happened to me. I contacted Marco Polo/AsiaMiles to book me on flights a day earlier. Well, I got waitlisted, when I was confirmed before. It appears they will only rebook award tickets on other flights that have award availability, even if CX are the ones canceling flights. Since CX award availability appears poor at the moment, it’s likely better to use AsiaMiles to book on partner flights that hopefully are less risky for cancellations. Can’t make any promises on that, but I don’t have much faith in Cathay Pacific delivering on award flights right now.
OrganicCannabis likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by conde
. It appears they will only rebook award tickets on other flights that have award availability, even if CX are the ones canceling flights. .
this not sure. When they cancelled my flights (sorry, shud say they sold me ticket on flight they were never going to operate in first place), they confirmed 4 seats on alternate flight on same day, where awards were not available.

so as long as its CX operated o do believe they will honour a confirmed booking on the alternate. whether that alternate fly or not, is a different matter
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by hkskyline
Nothing within the immediate future for LHR either.
There's insane LHR demand from HKG at the moment, especially with BA and VS suspending their flights. I was looking into SQ and QR earlier and those flights are packed as well.
Singapore_Air likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Mostly no J availability from Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.