Search

Resuming JFK-HKG via YVR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:18 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Resuming JFK-HKG via YVR

CX is looking to resume JFK-HKG via YVR but not allow JFK-YVR traffic.

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2021-0033-0034
ernestnywang and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Interesting. Is it going to be the same plane operating HKG-YVR and YVR-JFK (the notice says a 747 for HKG-YVR, but that must be an error)? If not, is 35 minutes sufficient for HKG-JFK through pax to change planes at YVR? I imagine CX will work with YVR to set up sterile transit between the two planes, but 35 minutes still seems awfully tight.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 7:05 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I’m guessing a typo and speculate it is same plane. As you indicated, 35 minutes is tight to offload/load passengers/bags.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Guess it has to do with Russian airspace issue?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:46 pm

It go through North Korea air space
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by seawolf
CX is looking to resume JFK-HKG via YVR but not allow JFK-YVR traffic.

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2021-0033-0034
I would love it if CX brings back this flight. I was actually booked on J on the second last (or was it last? Too long to remember!) scheduled YVR-JFK flight before CX decided to terminate the route early!
wanderingtheearth likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:36 pm

Why sell YVR-JFK but not JFK-YVR?

I would be so happy if this flight were fully restored. The current alternatives are either dreary or a good bit slower/less convenient.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:47 pm

Would one need Canadian transit visa, back in the days when this route flew via YVR? I suppose if passengers all stay on the plane, you wouldn't need one, but necessary all passengers are asked to disembark and re-board all airside?
Old Jul 7, 2022, 10:47 am

Ex-JFK, HKG-bound passengers stayed on the plane. Ex-HKG, JFK-bound passengers waited in a sterile gate area and were reboarded before the YVR-joining passengers.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingtheearth
Why sell YVR-JFK but not JFK-YVR?
Umm...where did you see YVR-JFK would be sold? I would assume not.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Umm...where did you see YVR-JFK would be sold? I would assume not.
I don't think that is the case. I think OP may have misread something.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Guess it has to do with Russian airspace issue?
No need to go through Russian air space (Polar 1/2), I have flown frequently to NYC where the flight has tracked northeast over Tokyo, east of the Kamchatka Peninsular before entering US air space at the Aleutian Islands. If you ever get the chance (and get really lucky, the area seems to be perpetual cloud) viewing the volcanos of the Kamchatka Peninsular is just stunning.

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
It go through North Korea air space
Once flew over North Korea in the 1990s on an United Flight from San Francisco when the Captain announced where we were. A few surprised looks and comments. Sadly its a fairly quick transit and could not see anything. Do foreign planes still overfly the place?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 4:35 pm

I read the notice. It specified not selling JFK-YVR, but was silent on YVR-JFK. There may be some reason for that convention. It seemed odd; that's why I was asking.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:48 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I read the notice. It specified not selling JFK-YVR, but was silent on YVR-JFK. There may be some reason for that convention. It seemed odd; that's why I was asking.
Could be a typo similar to how YVR-HKG is on a 744 but JFK-YVR is on a 359. 35 minutes is awfully tight to offload/load passenger/bags/cargo to a different aircraft.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
No need to go through Russian air space (Polar 1/2), I have flown frequently to NYC where the flight has tracked northeast over Tokyo, east of the Kamchatka Peninsular before entering US air space at the Aleutian Islands. If you ever get the chance (and get really lucky, the area seems to be perpetual cloud) viewing the volcanos of the Kamchatka Peninsular is just stunning.
The notice specifically says,
New schedule to support JFK-HKG traffic; no JFK-YVR sales
It doesn't mention HKG-JFK, either, so I would not read too much into YVR-JFK not being mentioned.

The fact that it says the new schedule is to support JFK-HKG traffic makes me wonder if it is in preparation for the stronger headwind coming up later this year for JFK-HKG. Right now, yes, the flight can make a detour and go right east of the Kamchatka (wished I could have seen it, and the Kuril Islands, too), but maybe later this year the flight would be too difficult to operate? Hence I mentioned the Russian airspace issue.
Carfield and Cryofern like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.