Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Disruption Rebooking Help with Flight Award Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (demoted with Amex waiver increase) and 1 MM

Apologies if there is a thread on this already. If so, please direct me. I reside mostly in the Delta SkyMIles forum due to my nearly 100% domestic travel in the U.S.

I have had a Award ticket booked in business class on JAL through AsiaMiles since January 2022. The routing is SYD-HND-JFK. Last week JAL changed the HND-JFK flight schedule to a departure time earlier than the arrival of my SYD-HND segment causing a misconnect. AsiaMiles has automatically rebooked me on a departure from HND the following day. Obviously this is inconvenient, not only because I arrive back to JFK a full day later, but also because I must now find lodging near HND for my unexpected overnight in Tokyo. The kind agent went through the trouble of giving me the lounge hours at HND only to present the fact they all close at 23:00!

I can rearrange my travel plans to fly on Cathay Pacific on a routing MEL-HKG-JFK that would avoid the extension of my trip and obviate the need for a hotel. This routing is available for purchase but, according to the call center agent, not for award redemption. She said she must "make a request" to the "Disruption Team."

I feel as though I have no advocate while my case is presented to the Disruption Team. With my "US-centric" perspective on customer service, it would seem a no-brainer to reschedule me on the MEL-HKG-JFK routing, i.e. "force" the redemption into available purchase inventory.

A few questions
1. Does anyone have a way to get directly in touch with the Disruption Team?
2. I am curious to hear this forum's opinion of what I can expect as a resolution.
3. If I am forced to take the JAL flight the following day, are there any legal /AM program rules as to reimbursement for the lodging expense?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by jgers1j
Apologies if there is a thread on this already. If so, please direct me. I reside mostly in the Delta SkyMIles forum due to my nearly 100% domestic travel in the U.S.

I have had a Award ticket booked in business class on JAL through AsiaMiles since January 2022. The routing is SYD-HND-JFK. Last week JAL changed the HND-JFK flight schedule to a departure time earlier than the arrival of my SYD-HND segment causing a misconnect. AsiaMiles has automatically rebooked me on a departure from HND the following day. Obviously this is inconvenient, not only because I arrive back to JFK a full day later, but also because I must now find lodging near HND for my unexpected overnight in Tokyo. The kind agent went through the trouble of giving me the lounge hours at HND only to present the fact they all close at 23:00!

I can rearrange my travel plans to fly on Cathay Pacific on a routing MEL-HKG-JFK that would avoid the extension of my trip and obviate the need for a hotel. This routing is available for purchase but, according to the call center agent, not for award redemption. She said she must "make a request" to the "Disruption Team."

I feel as though I have no advocate while my case is presented to the Disruption Team. With my "US-centric" perspective on customer service, it would seem a no-brainer to reschedule me on the MEL-HKG-JFK routing, i.e. "force" the redemption into available purchase inventory.

A few questions
1. Does anyone have a way to get directly in touch with the Disruption Team?
2. I am curious to hear this forum's opinion of what I can expect as a resolution.
3. If I am forced to take the JAL flight the following day, are there any legal /AM program rules as to reimbursement for the lodging expense?
In the current circumstances I would take the rebooking offer, pay for the overnight stay and check out hotel options.
36902BRF likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by jgers1j
The routing is SYD-HND-JFK. Last week JAL changed the HND-JFK flight schedule to a departure time earlier than the arrival of my SYD-HND segment causing a misconnect. AsiaMiles has automatically rebooked me on a departure from HND the following day. Obviously this is inconvenient, not only because I arrive back to JFK a full day later, but also because I must now find lodging near HND for my unexpected overnight in Tokyo. The kind agent went through the trouble of giving me the lounge hours at HND only to present the fact they all close at 23:00!
HND is open 24 hours. If the time between flights is below 24 hours, you can do it as a transit. I did it last year and it was fine. There are some reclining seats. According to the current rules, you will likely not be allowed to enter Japan, and the airside hotel is currently not open per https://www.the-royalpark.jp/the/tok...da/en/transit/

JAL publishes its lounge hours on a montly basis. As of now, the lounge closes either at 1:10am or 1:25am per https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/inter/200716/. If the schedule continues you will only need to leave the lounge for 4~5 hours.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Not long ago, overnight transit was not allowed in Japan for covid reasons.
And, entry is strictly limited.
Everything might change, but not in the very near future.

You booked with AM on a partner award. I strongly doubt that CX will make an effort to create award space for you.

Maybe QF/AA would be available?

Basically, I am not optimistic, but I hope to be wrong.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by brunos
Not long ago, overnight transit was not allowed in Japan for covid reasons.
I think you are talking about NRT? Not sure if HND's international terminal was ever closed, but HND has been allowing overnight transit for a long time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.