Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade to economy due to Covid?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2022, 9:07 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by olouie
Revenue maximization
Umm, no. If these flights do go fly out as scheduled, it's very likely CX is flying out an extra set of crew for return trip. That's why all these J seats are being held back.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:38 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Pax flights ex-HKG are probably flying back to HKG as primary cargo flights. Maybe CX is planning to separate all deadheading crew into J, and concentrate all the pax in Y.

And/or: J revenue is so low they can't be bothered to operate it.

Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I had a similar issue with a colleague I'd booked a flight for pre-Covid, though this was a fully paid flight!

They informed my colleague at the Gate he had been downgraded (from Business to Premium).

Refused to refund the money when I contacted them.

Went to American Express to request a refund (services not provided as advertised) - and they lied to them! Sent them fake boarding documents, fake seating plans etc! It's been a nightmare to sort out!
Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Neil Scrivener
I had a similar issue with a colleague I'd booked a flight for pre-Covid, though this was a fully paid flight!

They informed my colleague at the Gate he had been downgraded (from Business to Premium).

Refused to refund the money when I contacted them.

Went to American Express to request a refund (services not provided as advertised) - and they lied to them! Sent them fake boarding documents, fake seating plans etc! It's been a nightmare to sort out!
Was the ticket on CX plate? If so, I recall CX's usual procedure (pre-COVID at least) was to hand out a cash compensation (full fare difference I think) + an upgrade voucher good for any flight in the next 12 months. In fact, I thought it was a good deal. I never got it myself but a friend of mine did once. Hard to believe CX would refuse compensation.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Was the ticket on CX plate? If so, I recall CX's usual procedure (pre-COVID at least) was to hand out a cash compensation (full fare difference I think) + an upgrade voucher good for any flight in the next 12 months.
I think that CX we all knew and loved is dead and buried. Don't see how it comes back.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
This was actually 31 January 2020! So just before Covid really took its toll. It was booked via CX.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by Pickles
I think that CX we all knew and loved is dead and buried. Don't see how it comes back.
Maybe, give them a break and let CX recover from the disastrous way, Covid-19 has been handled in China/Hong Kong ?
ernestnywang and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: AS AA
Cathay has updated schedule for June and removed place-holder flights. I wonder anybody who booked award in premium cabin got moved to a new flight and kept F/J seat? It looks like frequencies to North America are up a little bit.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by alfrie
Cathay has updated schedule for June and removed place-holder flights. I wonder anybody who booked award in premium cabin got moved to a new flight and kept F/J seat? It looks like frequencies to North America are up a little bit.
I was just downgraded on a CX flight in June (J to Y, AA award). Email came a few hours ago. But anyway, connection in HKG is now >24 hours and therefore impossible.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by mcdullhk88
I was just downgraded on a CX flight in June (J to Y, AA award). Email came a few hours ago. But anyway, connection in HKG is now >24 hours and therefore impossible.
Thanks for the DP. My July flight has been zeroed out for weeks. I guess the downgrade won't come until mid May.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: Asia miles
I have booked business award flights On JAL with Asia miles from YVR-NRT-BKK for November.
If dates change, will JAL/Asia miles rebooked us on a alternate flight or would they downgrade the tickets?
Old May 13, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: AsiaMiles
Some more DP…
I redeemed a business award flight to Vancouver in July, just saw in my account that the flight has been cancelled and they moved me to the day after and downgraded to economy (there are 6 J seats available in this flight). Now asking CX to see any chance to have my J seat back, no response so far..
Old May 13, 2022, 10:34 am

Latest DP:
Just received email from CX. My HKG-SFO in July cancelled and was rebooked to another day, still in business class (U fare). It looks like CX will increase capacity in July and August to NA, so not outright downgrade to economy.
mcdullhk88 and seakhpt like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: ba silver
Originally Posted by seakhpt
Some more DP…
I redeemed a business award flight to Vancouver in July, just saw in my account that the flight has been cancelled and they moved me to the day after and downgraded to economy (there are 6 J seats available in this flight). Now asking CX to see any chance to have my J seat back, no response so far..
Did you problem settled? Under Canadian law what CX did is illegal. They must rebook you on the next available flight or any flight after six hours, in your ticketed cabin.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:30 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
Did you problem settled? Under Canadian law what CX did is illegal. They must rebook you on the next available flight or any flight after six hours, in your ticketed cabin.
Enforcement is CTA though? I’m not Canuck but i heard they’re pretty pro-airline. They let airlines keep cancellation refunds in vouchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.