Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

All CX scheduled flights vanish from 30th31st Oct 22 ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All CX scheduled flights vanish from 30th31st Oct 22 ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:19 pm

Maybe someone should start a new threat "Anyone who is able to get on a CX flight, report here"
Old Mar 3, 2022, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by srbrenna
It is for a wedding. To be honest it was a long shot as I didn’t expect Australia to be open.

I’ll wait to see what happens. CX haven’t told me the flight is cancelled yet even though it is not bookable.

I’d quite like to go and it would be a shame if I couldn’t but not the end of the world.
I am sure you are already aware that you can check the list of flights operating in April and May on CX website.
Here is the link: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...e-fly-now.html

Please be aware that flights may operate from Hong Kong to these banned countries but not to Hong Kong. But given the current ban in both countries in Hong Kong, I don't think they can put you on CX's own flight. They have flights from HK to Australia/UK but not the other directions because of the current 9 countries ban.

If your flight is not listed, it is cancelled. You have to call Cathay Pacific and request them to reroute you. They are obviously fairly busy but if you want to go to the wedding, you can push the request forward. As I say, they try to put you on oneworld carrier and both Qatar & Qantas will be the best option. I will just go ahead and call them in their UK office, and ask them to submit the request. At least let them know that you intend to travel. In your case, CX really has no choice but to put you on an alternative flight (on a fellow Oneworld carrier). If you don't plan to travel, I am sure CX will appreciate a head up so their team can work on other passengers. You perhaps want to get back your money too. If you don't have patience or time to wait on a phone, please use twitter. Someone responded to my message about 12 hours after my reaching out. It takes a while, but at least someone will get back to you. They are possibly based in HK but someone will at least reach out. They will either call you with the new itinerary or email you the new itinerary.

Carfield

Last edited by Carfield; Mar 4, 2022 at 2:45 am Reason: Fixed typo
Old Mar 3, 2022, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by 350zrx330
Just a quick update on my re-routing request. PVG-HKG-BOS is the original routing in May, 1st time requested PVG-HKG-JFK, didn't get the approval. 2nd time PVG-HKG-DOH-IAD with QR, did not get approved. 3rd time requested PVG-HKG-LHR-BOS (LHR-BOS on AA), got the approval and ticket already updated. Over all, each time the CX customer service request any new route for approval, normally take about 24 hours to hear back from CX customer service.
Both agents that I talked to for the past 72 hours are really not kidding about Qatar not accepting their requests. But I am surprised that they did not honor your first request, which involves only CX. I guess the availability on HKG to USA flights must be really tight. They are actually willing to put you on a AA flight. It gives me hope that they might approve my HKG-MAN-LHR-MAD routing. Hopefully I will hear from CX within the next 24 hours too.

Thanks for sharing!

Carfield
ernestnywang likes this.

Last edited by Carfield; Mar 4, 2022 at 2:46 am
Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Carfield
I am sure you are already aware that you can check the list of flights operating in April and May on CX website.
Here is the link: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...e-fly-now.html

Please be aware that flights may operate to Hong Kong but not from Hong Kong. But given the current ban in both countries in Hong Kong, I don't think they can put you on CX's own flight. They have flights from HK to Australia/UK but not the other directions because of the current 9 countries ban.

If your flight is not listed, it is cancelled. You have to call Cathay Pacific and request them to reroute you. They are obviously fairly busy but if you want to go to the wedding, you can push the request forward. As I say, they try to put you on oneworld carrier and both Qatar & Qantas will be the best option. I will just go ahead and call them in their UK office, and ask them to submit the request. At least let them know that you intend to travel. In your case, CX really has no choice but to put you on an alternative flight (on a fellow Oneworld carrier). If you don't plan to travel, I am sure CX will appreciate a head up so their team can work on other passengers. You perhaps want to get back your money too. If you don't have patience or time to wait on a phone, please use twitter. Someone responded to my message about 12 hours after my reaching out. It takes a while, but at least someone will get back to you. They are possibly based in HK but someone will at least reach out. They will either call you with the new itinerary or email you the new itinerary.

Carfield
I guess that you inverted "to" nd "from".

For your own situation:
I assume that it is a revenue ticket. If an award, there will not be awards open on QR, the only OW flying out of HK. No chance.

For me time and stress is precious. Why don't you simply ask for a refund and rebook on QR. They have a one way in April to MAD at 14k. TK has a one -way at 9k. They don't fly daily..
And QR has a very generous refund policy, while it lasts.

The itin HKG-MAN-LHR-MAD is extremely tiring and prone with risks of irrops/cancellation.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 2:40 am

Thanks for your words!

The 14K fare on QR is a "lite" fare and not to mention I have to take the longer layover. The overnight flight from DOH to MAD is sold out on the cheapest J fare, which will jump up to $22K (I hate those phantom fares on google flights), so I need to spend 8 hours in Doha. The fare was actually 11K earlier this week but when I finally decided to buy it, it went up to 14K. I just want to keep my fare within the refund that that I will receive from CX, too.

The TK fare is actually just released today & I am now looking into it too. Yesterday it was 14K O/W. SQ has a couple fares to Europe (FRA/CDG/MXP) that is $9800 too. I have options, but am just trying to see if I can stick with OW if possible.

I just want to stay with CX if possible, and Oneworld carriers if possible. It has to do with maintaining my Alaska MVP 75K status by April 30. I need 20,000 base miles on Oneworld. Without this long haul segment, I will have to fly extra domestic segments with AS. That means one more day on the road. So I want to try this routing first. Ultimately I try to support my own hometown airline. The layover is fine and I have plenty of times at each stop. Of course flying BA has its risk these days, but I just want to see if CX will approve this route. Since folks here suggest that they will get back to me within 24 hours, I will just wait another day before making a decision this weekend.

Carfield

PS. Just realize that Singapore Airlines is part of Alaska Airlines' Mileage Plan. I cannot use my Star Alliance Gold benefit (20kg extra baggage allowance), but can earn elite qualifying miles. I am a bit less stressed now if CX rejects my complex routing request but will keep you all posted though on CX's response time anyway.

Last edited by Carfield; Mar 4, 2022 at 8:24 am Reason: Just realize that SQ is part of AS Mileage Plan including earning elite qualifying miles
Old Mar 4, 2022, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,
Both agents that I talked to for the past 72 hours are really not kidding about Qatar not accepting their requests. But I am surprised that they did not honor your first request, which involves only CX. I guess the availability on HKG to USA flights must be really tight. They are actually willing to put you on a AA flight. It gives me hope that they might approve my HKG-MAN-LHR-MAD routing. Hopefully I will hear from CX within the next 24 hours too.

Thanks for sharing!

Carfield
The official word I got on my first request was oversold on HKG-JFK already. But upon my own research, they were trying to put me on a flight operated by AA from HKG to JFK (lol), but that flight somehow only exists in their compute system, not reality. It may have been a code share. I was hoping to get on the QR flight, , it would be nice to fly in Q-suite and visit the giant bear in DOH again.
Carfield likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Thanks Carfield
I’ll give Cathay a call to see what they can do and I guess the sooner the better. My flights are definitely not listed and are not for sale on a new booking.
A slight snag is that these are award tickets booked through BA.
I’ll get in touch and see what they say.

Thanks for all the advice on here!

Last edited by srbrenna; Mar 5, 2022 at 2:56 am
Old Mar 5, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
You should talk to BA then, not CX.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 8:41 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Thanks Carfield
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
You should talk to BA then, not CX.
Actually, you need to speak with both of them.

Speak with CX to find out, first-hand information, what is going to happen with the flight/your ticket. And based on that information, speak with BA, what they can do with your ticket, etc.

Pounding CX for changes is not going to work, pounding BA for changes, where they have no clue what is happening, is neither going to work.

The moment you show up at BA with correct / seemingly knowledgeable information and a proper plan to mitigate, you have a real chance, BA wants to listen to you and serve what with they can.

Or so to say (not specifically for OP): Know your case and things will be much easier to solve.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 2:05 am

Just an update

Just an update...
CX actually approved my HKG-MAN-LHR-MAD routing on Monday. I almost got every flight I requested except the final segment. They put me on a BA flight, which departs 30 minutes after the IB one I request. However, they never called me to confirm my flights. They just emailed me an updated e-ticket out of the blue and that's it. I just double-checked online and reserved my seats on both CX and BA. With a valid e-ticket, I presume I am all set. So my advice is that don't expect any call back from CX, unless they reject your re-routing request. Also submit flights that you are 100% sure that you will take.

Honestly this whole rebooking experience is not great, but given the outbreak in HK, I presume CX is really under-staffed and doesn't have the capacity to handle the volume of calls.

Carfield
Old Mar 8, 2022, 4:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,
Just an update...
CX actually approved my HKG-MAN-LHR-MAD routing on Monday. I almost got every flight I requested except the final segment. They put me on a BA flight, which departs 30 minutes after the IB one I request. However, they never called me to confirm my flights. They just emailed me an updated e-ticket out of the blue and that's it. I just double-checked online and reserved my seats on both CX and BA. With a valid e-ticket, I presume I am all set. So my advice is that don't expect any call back from CX, unless they reject your re-routing request. Also submit flights that you are 100% sure that you will take.

Honestly this whole rebooking experience is not great, but given the outbreak in HK, I presume CX is really under-staffed and doesn't have the capacity to handle the volume of calls.

Carfield
Glad everything worked out. I did get a call back / voice mail at 6 am US est on the last approved request, then of course, all the emails followed. ,

Safe Travel!
Carfield likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 12:50 pm

CX to Sydney

I was going to book CX from London to Sydney Business return 26/02/23 returning 6s forum /04/23 but reading this forum I am confused are they about to go under or continue the route through Hong Kong?.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 12:58 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Cefnila
I was going to book CX from London to Sydney Business return 26/02/23 returning 6s forum /04/23 but reading this forum I am confused are they about to go under or continue the route through Hong Kong?.
I would strongly advise against booking any connecting itineraries on CX so far in advance. Nobody knows what flights they will be operating in 2023 and it’s likely one or more of your flights will be cancelled and then you’ll have to submit for a refund and make alternate travel plans.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:55 pm

Thanks for that I always find that if you book very early you get the cheapest deals but in today's climate??? Just gon't know what to do for the best
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:27 pm

The majority of CX flight from North America to HKG to late-Oct have had no selling inventory for weeks but CX has only cancelled through June so far. Are they canceling one month at a time or something? Trying to preserve cash and/or call center volume by not canceling all at once?
Cefnila likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.