Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Transit in HKG to Mainland China still not possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)

I haven't been keeping up with the restrictions as much as I used to since I haven't been traveling as much recently. I'm planning a quick trip later this month to the US to be vaccinated and then home to Shanghai. I am currently in Bangkok, having arrived here in March from Shanghai (via CX). I was able to transit in HKG in early March with no problems (and no other people, lol). After almost a year of being grounded, it was refreshing to be back.

I started to book a flight today to the US and then back to PVG. I was surprised to find that transit to mainland China is still not allowed, although transit from mainland China is allowed. Why? Is this a CX policy or a government restriction? Makes no sense to me.

-Chris
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:22 am

Entry into mainland China is still very restricted. Not sure if there's a direct government ban on transit from HK.

The logistics of taking connecting flights to China can be complicated. You will probably need to get tested and seek approvals from the embassy at the transit point.

Airlines also face the risk of their flights being banned if they carry too many COVID-positive passengers. If CX takes connecting passengers, the risk will increase.

I don't think the Chinese government cares about how people leave the country.

On a separate, SQ also allows transit from China, but not to China.

Last edited by alamah; Jun 2, 2021 at 2:25 am Reason: To edit some points.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Oh, that's a good point... it must be the threat of a flight ban for COVID-19 positives. And yeah, of course I know it's restricted. No, embassy approval isn't required to transit. I'm a resident, so I can enter China at this time with my residence permit.

Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is not a policy set by CX.
China prohibits arriving pax to be in transit from elsewhere. They must check in directly for a flight into China.
There can be several reasons, but it certainly allows for better control.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
China prohibits arriving pax to be in transit from elsewhere.
No, this is incorrect. There is no such restriction i cases where no direct flight exists, as is the case for me.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by cmiller11101
Oh, that's a good point... it must be the threat of a flight ban for COVID-19 positives. And yeah, of course I know it's restricted. No, embassy approval isn't required to transit. I'm a resident, so I can enter China at this time with my residence permit.

Thanks!
You will need approval (aka health code) before entering China. Even Chinese citizens need the codes. You can't board the flight without a green code.

If my understandings are correct, you will need the codes both from the embassy in the US (when leaving from the US) AND from the embassy at the transit point.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alamah
You will need approval (aka health code) before entering China. Even Chinese citizens need the codes. You can't board the flight without a green code. If my understandings are correct, you will need the codes both from the embassy in the US (when leaving from the US) AND from the embassy at the transit point.
No, that's not correct. I mean, yes, you do need the green code, but it doesn't come from the embassy... it's built into WeChat and Alipay and the one you are most likely talking about is run by China Immigration Inspection. Wit this one, you just have to complete the questionnaire and provide the requisite information about your travel history and stuff. It's not clear what the criteria that determines the color of the QR code, but it's always been green for me. It's worth pointing out there are multiple QR code systems, such as ones managed by immigrations, provincies, cities, and a new "national" one that isn't in use very much yet. They all require registration and where the data goes or how it is used is not at all transparent. Some work better than others. Trust the system and don't ask questions, in other words.

EDIT: I stand corrected... I think you meant the QR code mentioned in this notice for passengers arriving from the US.

Last edited by cmiller11101; Jun 2, 2021 at 3:44 am
Old Jun 2, 2021, 3:59 am

EDIT: I stand corrected... I think you meant the QR code mentioned in this notice for passengers arriving from the US.
Yes this is the code I was referring to. You need test results (two tests I think, not just PCR test) and the code is issued by the embassy or the consulate. It's for both Chinese citizens and foreigners.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: Alaska
No, this is incorrect. There is no such restriction i cases where no direct flight exists, as is the case for me.

That’s not a problem of China. You have to find another place to get your direct flight to China.

Transit is impossible because the direct flight check code issued by local embassy.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freed0m
Transit is impossible because the direct flight check code issued by local embassy.
No, they have a procedure for cases where direct flights are not possible.

Thanks for your input everyone. I think the answer by @alamah is the most logical reason why CX is not currently operating passenger flights to mainland China. My question has now been answered and this thread can be closed if the admins so wish.

-Chris
Old Jun 4, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by freed0m
That’s not a problem of China. You have to find another place to get your direct flight to China.

International transits are allowed if the country the passenger is travelling from doesn't have a direct flight.
Eg: UK - transit allowed, USA - International transit not allowed
Old Jun 4, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by realgaga
International transits are allowed if the country the passenger is travelling from doesn't have a direct flight.
Eg: UK - transit allowed, USA - International transit not allowed
And the pax could get IgM + PCR tests at the transit point (either in the airport transit zone or if they can enter the transit country).

Actually, for Hong Kong, I am not sure what is the holdback regarding mainland-bound transit. (Without getting political) the Chinese Government mostly certainly will not consider HK a 'transit in a third country', so they won't invoke the 'QR code in transit point rule', or the 'not fly via a third country rule'. So I guess HK probably has an agreement with some relevant authorities to not allow the floodgate to open?
Old Jun 4, 2021, 5:07 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by shd9

Actually, for Hong Kong, I am not sure what is the holdback regarding mainland-bound transit. (Without getting political) the Chinese Government mostly certainly will not consider HK a 'transit in a third country', so they won't invoke the 'QR code in transit point rule', or the 'not fly via a third country rule'. So I guess HK probably has an agreement with some relevant authorities to not allow the floodgate to open?
This actually dates back to the 'five one' policy, with Chinese airlines only allowed to maintain one international route to any specific country – with no more than one flight every week. Foreign airlines were only allowed to maintain one route to China, with no more than one weekly flight. Now the rule has loosened up a bit, but is still very strict.

Transiting through HKG would be a loophole as at that time, there were still multiple frequencies to multiple mainland Chinese cities every day. That's why point to point traffic was allowed but transit pax weren't (and still aren't).
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:42 am

I am looking at flights out of and back into PVG for October. CX's web shows bookable outbound from and / inbound into PVG with short transits in HKG. Outbound I can understand, but is inbound correct? Any wisdom from this group is much appreciated.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Newb
I am looking at flights out of and back into PVG for October. CX's web shows bookable outbound from and / inbound into PVG with short transits in HKG. Outbound I can understand, but is inbound correct? Any wisdom from this group is much appreciated.
see above

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.