Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance interline LX with CX (main carrier rule vs. elite status)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2020, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Dear all, tried to search the forum for a while but didn't get the exact same case. Apologize if it is repetitive question.
Ticketed by LX on same ticket / PNR for LX transits in HKG to CX. And the luggage will check through to final destination. I have *G on LX and Marco Polo Silver on CX. Understood the main carrier rule by LX in place in terms of baggage allowance .
I am able to check in 2 piece with LX because of *G benefit, will it possibly go through with CX without excess payment, as CX's own rule is 2 pieces (assume below weight limit)? Or I have to pay the excess fee because main carrier rule applied on CX and CX doesn't recognize *G?

Appreciate your comment and thank you in advance.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 10:14 pm

Usually the rule is based on the most significant carrier (ie the LOng haul rule). As long as your baggage is check through don’t think CX will care.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by caodatou
I have *G on LX and Marco Polo Silver on CX.
Unless specified explicitly, your LH*G (SEN or HON) means nothing to CX. IIRC MPC Silver does not carry additional baggage allowance.

Originally Posted by caodatou
I am able to check in 2 piece with LX because of *G benefit, will it possibly go through with CX without excess payment, as CX's own rule is 2 pieces (assume below weight limit)? Or I have to pay the excess fee because main carrier rule applied on CX and CX doesn't recognize *G?
Elite benefit do not apply to main carrier rule. So if you are entitled 1 bag normally with LX, you will still be able to get 1 bag for free for CX for a single ticket itinerary.

CX should allow the outbound checked baggage to go through without additional fee as I don't believe CX has a mechanism to charge you at HKG. However, you will have to pay extra on inbound.

However, if you are on CX codeshare operated by a *A airline, it will be another story.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 2:20 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by garykung
Unless specified explicitly, your LH*G (SEN or HON) means nothing to CX. IIRC MPC Silver does not carry additional baggage allowance.

Elite benefit do not apply to main carrier rule. So if you are entitled 1 bag normally with LX, you will still be able to get 1 bag for free for CX for a single ticket itinerary.

CX should allow the outbound checked baggage to go through without additional fee as I don't believe CX has a mechanism to charge you at HKG. However, you will have to pay extra on inbound.

However, if you are on CX codeshare operated by a *A airline, it will be another story.
Correct except CX MPO SL does come with an additional 10kg allowance when the ticket's bag allowance uses the weight concept, a moot point here since LX uses the piece concept. I would say however that OP should try to talk nicely with the check-in agent to see if something can be done, given you have both SL and *G, but don't put your hope up too high.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Thank you both for the comments. Seems ok on the outbound while risk for inbound. I won't hope too much here.
Thanks again!
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:58 am

Does your eticket confirmation email specify a baggage allowance? Surely you are entitled to at least whatever it says (though it could be wrong, to your detriment, in which case you would be entitled to more via the kinds of reasoning discussed by others in this thread).
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by bedelman
Does your eticket confirmation email specify a baggage allowance? Surely you are entitled to at least whatever it says (though it could be wrong, to your detriment, in which case you would be entitled to more via the kinds of reasoning discussed by others in this thread).
OP intends to have more baggage based on LH elite benefit that CX needs not to recognize.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bedelman
Confirmation email specified the baggage allowance of 1 piece for both LX and CX, and mentioned +1 piece in LX becasue of *G, which is not valid on CX. This is where I struggled..
Old Jul 15, 2020, 2:54 am

Baggage allowance on CX / AY itinerary

Hi, we have a similar issue, CX / AY itinerary MEL-HKG-HEL (J). I understand that Most Significant Marketing Carrier (MSMC) applies, which in this case I believe it would be Finnair but even AY is not sure about how many kg per piece. Finnair's allowance for flights to Asia is 32kg x2 per pax, would that apply in that case?

Also, if we needed to check in another bag, I am assuming CX Extra baggage charges would apply. We would be traveling from Region 4 to Region 4, but I am not sure which Table applies: 1. Extra bag charge per kilogram; or 2. Extra bag charge per piece.

Any help would be great!
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi, we have a similar issue, CX / AY itinerary MEL-HKG-HEL (J). I understand that Most Significant Marketing Carrier (MSMC) applies, which in this case I believe it would be Finnair but even AY is not sure about how many kg per piece. Finnair's allowance for flights to Asia is 32kg x2 per pax, would that apply in that case?

Also, if we needed to check in another bag, I am assuming CX Extra baggage charges would apply. We would be traveling from Region 4 to Region 4, but I am not sure which Table applies: 1. Extra bag charge per kilogram; or 2. Extra bag charge per piece.

Any help would be great!
AY's allowance and AY's extra bag charges apply.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:17 pm

Ok, thanks! Will the CX agent at the airport have access to AY's allowance and AY's extra bag charges then?
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Mister P.
Ok, thanks! Will the CX agent at the airport have access to AY's allowance and AY's extra bag charges then?
The information should be visible to the agent in the check-in system (DCS - Departure Control System), but it doesn't hurt to have a copy or at least the link saved with you.

You may refer to https://www.finnair.com/information-...s-baggage-fees
If your ticket includes flights from other airlines, IATA standards of the Most Significant Marketing Carrier (MSMC) define which airline’s baggage regulations apply to those flights. Excess baggage fees are defined by the airline that is carrying out the check-in. If possible, the extra bag charges are calculated according to the Most Significant Marketing Carrier’s extra bag charges.
and https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ier-rules.html
If your most significant carrier (MSC) is Cathay Pacific, then you would follow our rules for check in baggage, extra baggage charges, oversized cabin baggage, musical instruments and sports equipment.
There are also examples at the bottom of the page. For example, for an SYD QF xHKG CX LHR itinerary, CX rule applies, and for an HKG CX*/KA xPVG AA LAX itinerary, AA rule applies.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:33 pm

OK, thanks!
ernestnywang likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.