Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Return of Cathay First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2020, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Question Return of Cathay First Class

Is Cathay running first class again, and if not, any confidence on when it’s coming back?

I have a first class ticket booked from lax - hkg and hkg - hnd in early September. So far neither ticket has been downgraded and Cathay is still selling first class on both routes starting in August. Have they updated their fall schedule yet since Covid, or is this schedule likely to get changed all around when they update their fall schedule accounting for Covid?
Old Jun 28, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Clearedfortravel
Is Cathay running first class again, and if not, any confidence on when it’s coming back?

I have a first class ticket booked from lax - hkg and hkg - hnd in early September. So far neither ticket has been downgraded and Cathay is still selling first class on both routes starting in August. Have they updated their fall schedule yet since Covid, or is this schedule likely to get changed all around when they update their fall schedule accounting for Covid?
CX, for the most part, has not updated their schedule post-01AUG.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
CX, for the most part, has not updated their schedule post-01AUG.
Ah! That would explain why there is little F award availabilty in 2021!
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 6:53 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Speculation: given that the A350 is more fuel efficient than the 777, if CX is going to be running a reduced schedule for the next year, there’s going to be very little F class available in the CX network. I believe they will use the 777 as little as possible.
craig44485 and Reply1984 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by sxc
Speculation: given that the A350 is more fuel efficient than the 777, if CX is going to be running a reduced schedule for the next year, there’s going to be very little F class available in the CX network. I believe they will use the 777 as little as possible.
With hindsight, it appears that they should have installed F in the 351s
eminere likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 9:42 pm

I’ve got a late January F booking out of LAX and I am fully expecting it to downgrade to J. But truthfully being a US citizen, I’m highly doubting that we will even be allowed into S.Africa which is the final destination of my booking. So I guess all we can do is wait and see and hope for the best.
Runner123 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 1:06 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Originally Posted by SLGO
Crazy, isn't it?
craig44485 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 2:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by cmiller11101
Crazy, isn't it?
And ideally just 3 F seats A bit like MH with 4 seater cabin - gosh i love those\!
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 3:24 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SLGO
CX might be secretly happy they didn’t. Coronavirus may have killed off F when CX has wanted to do this for a long time.
jmw, cartman7110, lewisyu and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:40 pm

As a sidenote, the HND 548/549 will switch from 77W to 333 from 28/03/2021 according to loaded schedule. The last intra-Asia F will be gone.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 4:18 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by sxc
CX might be secretly happy they didn’t. Coronavirus may have killed off F when CX has wanted to do this for a long time.
I'm not so sure... I would think there will still be some market for F. Given that social distancing seems to be so important now, F would definitely give people more space and distance from the next passenger..
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I agree, it's a pity we see F disappear on so many routes. eg for my trips down to SYD I rather take BA then CX and connect for a long 9 hour flight in J
Old Jul 2, 2020, 9:28 am

I've rode/ridden that route SFO or LAX-HGK and on to PI ~25 times and think I've *maybe* seen someone in F once or twice?

They bumped me up there once, and I was alone. It's a waste of real estate. More than 4 times the price to get a wider seat? (Listed price used to be $17,500) double miles from Biz class IIRC
YVR guy likes this.

Last edited by bloomz; Jul 2, 2020 at 9:42 am
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bloomz
I've rode/ridden that route SFO or LAX-HGK and on to PI ~25 times and think I've *maybe* seen someone in F once or twice?

They bumped me up there once, and I was alone. It's a waste of real estate. More than 4 times the price to get a wider seat? (Listed price used to be $17,500) double miles from Biz class IIRC
I find it very, very surprising that F was empty on dozens of SFO/LAX-HKG flights. Did you actually confirm by looking during the flight? The F cabin is out of the view of most of the J cabin.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
I find it very, very surprising that F was empty on dozens of SFO/LAX-HKG flights. Did you actually confirm by looking during the flight? The F cabin is out of the view of most of the J cabin.
Yes I looked thru the curtain always. There are usually only 4 seats up there, where my last business class in March had 40 Biz seats, (with 4 of us in them)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.