Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Partially used flight - Cathay unwilling to extend.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2020, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

So, I have one leg of the trip left to do - HK to Beijing. According to my ticket, I have one year to finish the trip (till July 8).

I do not wish to fly in this situation as I am not willing to quarantine in Beijing for 14 days.

Cathay is insisting that I finish the trip or they only give my business class ticket about 1700HKD refund.

Is there anyone who is/was in this situation? Any advice?
Old Jun 26, 2020, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by anythursday
So, I have one leg of the trip left to do - HK to Beijing. According to my ticket, I have one year to finish the trip (till July 8).

I do not wish to fly in this situation as I am not willing to quarantine in Beijing for 14 days.

Cathay is insisting that I finish the trip or they only give my business class ticket about 1700HKD refund.

And what was the segment charge?
Old Jun 26, 2020, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
And what was the segment charge?
For the entire flight? I paid like 19800HKD. I don’t know what the segment charge is.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
What is the itinerary. If it is part of a long haul return, HKG>>>PEK may not be even worth a thing in some cases.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
What is the itinerary. If it is part of a long haul return, HKG>>>PEK may not be even worth a thing in some cases.
The itinerary is HKG-PEK-YYZ and back.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:22 pm

How is it possible that you have one HKG-PEK segment “left to do”? Do you mean PEK-HKG-YYZ return? If so, just take the refund...
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
How is it possible that you have one HKG-PEK segment “left to do”? Do you mean PEK-HKG-YYZ return? If so, just take the refund...
Whoops! You are right PEK-HKG-YYZ.

Do you frequent flyers know why airlines can’t postpone flights beyond a year? Considering the situation we are in... just want to know why airlines can’t embrace a new norm.
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National

For the entire flight? I paid like 19800HKD. I don’t know what the segment charge is.
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
This is difficult to calculate without the fare calculation and tax breakdown, but the amount is in the reasonable range if @carrotjuice is right. PEKHKG is 1239 mi. HKGYYZ is 7809 mi. A prorated refund would therefore be 1239/((1239+7809)*2), about 6.85% of the fare paid + unused taxes. This is assuming your original flight was cancelled or you are otherwise included in the waiver, or else you shouldn't be getting a refund of the fare to begin with! On the other hand, depending on your ticket's latest date of issue and the original flight date, you may be able to extend the ticket's validity.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National

Do you frequent flyers know why airlines can’t postpone flights beyond a year? Considering the situation we are in... just want to know why airlines can’t embrace a new norm.
Airlines can re-issue, but whether or not CX will do it for you depends on whether you meet the waiver criteria.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Based on the amount, it sounds like it is a deep discount business fare. So it is very unlikely that the number would be on your side.

Also - the Canadian law is not on your side as well.

OP - I believe you are SOL in this case.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
You could fly (flight not cancelled), but you decide not to. That is your choice.
Tickets do have rules and the one-year validity rule is standard. That is unless you are covered by some CX waiver policy.

You are lucky that CX is willing to refund you some taxes/fees. I would assume that a PEK-YYZ-HKG is more expensive than a PEK-YYZ-PEK.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I think OP got caught in the game of using Chinese airports with a stopover at HKG to get a cheaper TPAC ticket taking advantage of the stopovers and ticket extension privileges (rules).
One can save 10000HKD flying China-HKG-TPAC deep discount business fare vs HKG-TPAC.

You just stay in HK on the return and postpone your HKG PEK final leg until you need to fly TPAC again and use the last leg of the previous ticket to position yourself to PEK to start the new ticket.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: Confirmed

Ticket coupon is generally valid for a year from issue date.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by SKRan
Ticket coupon is generally valid for a year from issue date.
It is of course possible to extend a segment beyond a year. But you will need to exchange your existing ticket for a new ticket, which triggers a new calculation of fare, which is done in a way that is very disadvantaged for customer.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The bottom line is that OP is voluntarily cancelling. Under those circumstances, he is entitled to whatever his fare rules provide which is likely nothing other than a refund of taxes.

In order to arrive at an exact answer, one would need to see the fare rules applicable to this ticket as well as the breakdown for the ticket. But, the generic answer will not change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.