Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Partially used flight - Cathay unwilling to extend.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Partially used flight - Cathay unwilling to extend.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Just cancel it, get the refund, and stop whining... I went through the same thing and also called myself out on being a whining little baby, so I took the refund, the amount of which both for mine and seemingly for yours is very, very fair.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 6:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by cmiller11101
called myself out on being a whining little baby
lol, made me smile.

I've got a flight HKG-KTM in a few weeks that I was hoping to extend again, though it is literally at the end of the ticket expiry (that was only 6 months). Seems like I'm going to have to stop whining and just take my free money...

Wonder if that will change if KA doesn't run the flight at all, I wouldn't mind trying to fly again in November on the same ticket... doing my first positioning flight last time cost me 25k Asiamiles per passenger...
Old Jun 28, 2020, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmiller11101
Just cancel it, get the refund, and stop whining... I went through the same thing and also called myself out on being a whining little baby, so I took the refund, the amount of which both for mine and seemingly for yours is very, very fair.
Right. The reason why I asked is simply because I wanted to know what others have done in my position. Don’t believe asking for information is whining.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 2:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Not at all! Most fares have 12 months restrictions (though there are some 24 month ones) and any ticket can be extended should the airline be willing to do so (eg in cases of illness its quite common).
Old Jun 29, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Not at all! Most fares have 12 months restrictions (though there are some 24 month ones) and any ticket can be extended should the airline be willing to do so (eg in cases of illness its quite common).
12 months from the date the first segment is flown + the first segment has to start within 12 months from the date of issue. You can therefore have the last segment of the ticket potentially close to 24 months from the date of issue, but no IATA ticket would allow a max stay over 12 months.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 10:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
12 months from the date the first segment is flown + the first segment has to start within 12 months from the date of issue. You can therefore have the last segment of the ticket potentially close to 24 months from the date of issue, but no IATA ticket would allow a max stay over 12 months.
I was aware of the 12 from first segment giving up to 23.99 but I was specifically told by BA Agent that there are some fares allowing 24 month stay. go figure...
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I was aware of the 12 from first segment giving up to 23.99 but I was specifically told by BA Agent that there are some fares allowing 24 month stay. go figure...
Umm is this something in the recent decade? I don't believe this is supported by GDS and e-ticket standards today. I'm not sure, but this may be possible in the early 2000s and before. Max stay is assumed to be 12 months when not specified.

If you heard it in the past decade or so, I'm pretty sure the agent told you something incorrectly.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:50 am

I had a SEAsia - NorthAmerica 6 segment ticket, 4 of 6 flown. The last two segment was canceled. When I called CX, I was told that change beyond the maximum stay requirement would trigger reprice and I would better choose partial refund.

BTW I would like to know the difference between 12 months validity (seems from the issue date) and maximum stay requirement (seems from the 1st segment ).
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by csardas
I had a SEAsia - NorthAmerica 6 segment ticket, 4 of 6 flown. The last two segment was canceled. When I called CX, I was told that change beyond the maximum stay requirement would trigger reprice and I would better choose partial refund.

BTW I would like to know the difference between 12 months validity (seems from the issue date) and maximum stay requirement (seems from the 1st segment ).
Within the CX world, the former (12 months validity from the issue date) is only applicable to Asia Miles tickets. Max stay for all revenue tickets are counted from the date the first segment is flown.
csardas likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All of which boils down to not cancelling until the last possible time allowed under the fare rules. There is always a chance that CX cancels for Covid-19, mechanical, or weather-related reasons. Those entitle the passenger to a refund for unflown segments which, when challenged, should break down by percentage of distance flown.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Often1
All of which boils down to not cancelling until the last possible time allowed under the fare rules. There is always a chance that CX cancels for Covid-19, mechanical, or weather-related reasons. Those entitle the passenger to a refund for unflown segments which, when challenged, should break down by percentage of distance flown.
Or get a free new ticket for 12 months from cancellation - at least that is how BA would handle it.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 12:33 am

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
I was in a similar situation but my ticket only had 6 months on it. I thought it was 12 months.

Bought the ticket in Dec 2019 from YVR-HKG-KUL with return. Flew that in January.

Covid happened and my flight in June got canceled. I asked if i could extend to the maximum possible but they said my ticket only had 6 months from purchase. So I ended up getting refunded the return.

The MP agent said it pretty bluntly. "Take the refund or lose it, no choice". lol.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by littlevoices
I've got a flight HKG-KTM in a few weeks that I was hoping to extend again, though it is literally at the end of the ticket expiry (that was only 6 months). Seems like I'm going to have to stop whining and just take my free money...
Today my HKG-KTM it was inevitably cancelled by KA. I called up and was told my options were:
1 - Book for later, higher booking class (pay an extra fee)
2 - Change to the "next available flight" (for free, past the ticket expiry date), which I did... now booked on the 1st September. Let's see if the route gets cancelled again as I move it##

##Note this is sub-optimal as 1 September is a Tuesday and ideally I'd do as a weekend trip, however in the current world I'd take a week away if I could. I presume I could have asked for a refund, but the few thousand dollars that is worth (at most) is a lot less than the potential of a new positioning flight. The chance of me taking that flight are however slim unless I can use it to position a flight somewhere more fun with a short transit at HKG. I don't think Kathmandu is worth a 2 week quarantine upon return to HK!
Old Jul 2, 2020, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by blum81
The MP agent said it pretty bluntly. "Take the refund or lose it, no choice". lol.
The agent won't say the same thing if you depart from/arrive to a U.S. city.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by anythursday
Right. The reason why I asked is simply because I wanted to know what others have done in my position. Don’t believe asking for information is whining.
As others said, I haven't heard that you can have more than 12-month validity from departure. So CX/KA cannot extend your ticket. As far as refund, for a POS PEK ticket, HKG is usually the HIP. So any refund is better than none.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.