Wiki Posts
Search

Stopover must be destination?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Stopover must be destination?

I'm booking a round-trip flight to New Zealand, and since that requires stopping through Hong Kong, it appears that I am not allowed to have any stopovers other than the destination (which doesn't seem like a stopover to me!).

Rules
In a 4-sector itinerary, the second sector destination point must be the stopover point and turnaround point (an open jaw at the turnaround point is permitted).
Is that correct? It seems like the rules have changed since all the "guide to Asia Miles" articles were written.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:06 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
They changed round-trip rules on 1 April 2020 too, along with one-way rules. They said they were changing one-way rules only.

Was Flight Award Redemption - General Conditions - Asia Miles:

"5. For the round-trip Flight Award (except the oneworld Multi-carrier Awards), a maximum of 4 sectors are allowed with a minimum of 1 stopover. A maximum of 2 sectors only is allowed on each direction, inbound and outbound.

A maximum of 1 open jaw is allowed either at the point of origin or at the turnaround point in a round-trip Flight Award.
  1. An open jaw at the point of origin (for an itinerary with international flights only) can only be made between different cities of a country/region.
  2. An open jaw at the turnaround point can be made between different cities, no matter whether they are in the same country/region.
  3. Travelling into and out of different airports within the same city is not considered as an open jaw.

For the round-trip Flight Award without an open jaw, it can contain either:
  1. Maximum 3 stopovers; or
  2. Maximum 2 stopovers plus maximum 1 transfer; or
  3. Maximum 1 stopover plus maximum 2 transfers

For the round-trip Flight Award with an open jaw at the turnaround point, it can contain either:
  1. 1 open jaw plus maximum 2 stopovers; or
  2. 1 open jaw plus maximum 1 stopover plus maximum 1 transfer; or
  3. 1 open jaw plus maximum 2 transfers

For the round-trip Flight Award with an open jaw at the point of origin, it can contain either:
  1. 1 open jaw plus maximum 3 stopovers; or
  2. 1 open jaw plus maximum 2 stopovers plus maximum 1 transfer; or
  3. 1 open jaw plus maximum 1 stopover plus maximum 2 transfers"
ernestnywang likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 13, 2020 at 5:51 pm
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:50 pm

Now https://www.asiamiles.com/en/terms-a...onditions.html:

"6. For the round-trip Flight Award (except the oneworld Multi-carrier Awards and HK Express), a maximum of 4 sectors are allowed with 1 stopover. A maximum of 2 sectors only is allowed in each direction, inbound and outbound.

A maximum of 1 open jaw is allowed either at the point of origin or at the turnaround point in a round-trip Flight Award.
  1. An open jaw at the point of origin (for an itinerary with international flights only) can only be made between different cities of a country/region.
  2. An open jaw at the turnaround point can be made between different cities, no matter whether they are in the same country/region.
  3. Travelling into and out of different airports within the same city is not considered as an open jaw.

For the round-trip Flight Award without an open jaw, it can contain Maximum 1 stopover plus maximum 2 transfers

For the round-trip Flight Award with an open jaw at the turnaround point, it can contain 1 open jaw plus maximum 2 transfers

For the round-trip Flight Award with an open jaw at the point of origin, it can contain 1 open jaw plus maximum 1 stopover plus maximum 2 transfers"

---

So redemptions previously possible but not legal now:

JFK-(CX)xHKG-(CX)oCHC-(CX)oHKG-JFK (my previous examples of this were HKG-(CX)xKIX-(JL)oCTS-(JL)oKIX-HKG or HKG-(CX)oSYD-(QF)oBNE-(CX)HKG)

HKG-(CX)xTPE-(CX)NGO//CTS-(JL cannibalised from o)xHND-(JL)xPVG)-HKG or HKG-(CX)oMEL-(QF)HBA//SYD-(QF)oBNE-HKG
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:11 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by percysmith
  1. Travelling into and out of different airports within the same city is not considered as an open jaw.
Do we know if a transit between different airports of the same city is still allowed, i. e., TPE CX NRT // HND JL LAX? Of course the time between NRT and HND is within 24 hours.

Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Do we know if a transit between different airports of the same city is still allowed, i. e., TPE CX NRT // HND JL LAX? Of course the time between NRT and HND is within 24 hours.

Thanks!
This baffles me as well. CX online redemption system refuses to price HKG-NRT/HND-ORD with a 17 hour transit in TYO, saying there are too many transit/stopover/openjaw. Hopefully this is a bug, given in most cases NRT and HND are considered one airport (and showing as TYO on fare constructions)
Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:37 pm

This can be redeemed by phone (I checked)

Even though asiamiles.com says no:

ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:02 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green

Thanks!
This baffles me as well. CX online redemption system refuses to price HKG-NRT/HND-ORD with a 17 hour transit in TYO, saying there are too many transit/stopover/openjaw. Hopefully this is a bug, given in most cases NRT and HND are considered one airport (and showing as TYO on fare constructions)
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: Alaska
the new round-trip stopover is really hard to figure out.

I try to do SIN-HKG(stopover)-BKK(destination)-HKG(transfer)-SIN. it errors out as too many open jaw/stopover/transfer....

i can't see how it is too many open jaws/stopovers/transfers....
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by freed0m
I try to do SIN-HKG(stopover)-BKK(destination)-HKG(transfer)-SIN. it errors out as too many open jaw/stopover/transfer....
Simple. Two stopovers. Destination is a stopover in your case.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:50 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined

Simple. Two stopovers. Destination is a stopover in your case.
if destination is considered stopover, it has no difference with 2 one-way awards....

Why not just one-way award only to simplify the rules.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:36 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
if destination is considered stopover, it has no difference with 2 one-way awards....

Why not just one-way award only to simplify the rules.
when you cancel it you get charged less
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:48 pm

when you cancel it you get charged less
hardly a benefit I value personally.

Now Asia Miles only has limit use to me....
Old Apr 15, 2020, 1:06 am

hardly a benefit I value personally.

Now Asia Miles only has limit use to me....
Main USP of AM remains advantaged access to premium seats on long-haul flights.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:47 am

Does anyone know how to book award flights that transit through HKG now? I used to be able to use the multi-city tool to plan a stopover in HKG on a one-way redemption. It looks like they changed the rules to a layover of under 24 hours. However, I'm unable to show an itinerary such as PVG-HKG-PNH on one ticket?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Schweden
However, I'm unable to show an itinerary such as PVG-HKG-PNH on one ticket?
origin PVG destination PNH. Let AM work out HKG on its own

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.