Wiki Posts
Search

Blocked AA award space?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Blocked AA award space?

Seeing U4 on expertflyer between my origin and destination on AA but CX can’t see it? Bad agent or is Cathay blocking inventory?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:41 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Probably

Try a route where AA is wide open and see whether agent can see it. If agent cannot see the wide open flights, the agent has training issues, so HUACA,
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
Probably

Try a route where AA is wide open and see whether agent can see it. If agent cannot see the wide open flights, the agent has training issues, so HUACA,
Tried with another agent, same result. Asked for a supervisor, same result. Called BA and they confirmed what I see on EF, 4 U seats provided it’s booked as married segments. Tried explaining this to CX agents. No luck. I can’t wait until i’m rid of my AsiaMiles....
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by sleuth
Tried with another agent, same result. Asked for a supervisor, same result. Called BA and they confirmed what I see on EF, 4 U seats provided it’s booked as married segments. Tried explaining this to CX agents. No luck. I can’t wait until i’m rid of my AsiaMiles....
It sounds like it is a married segment issue and not award space being blocked? It's the same the other way around. On many occasions, CX flights are available with AM but not with AA miles unless booked as married segment.
I don't know if the AA solution works with AM/MPC but I usually ask AA to book the married segment and then drop one ...
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rivarix
It sounds like it is a married segment issue and not award space being blocked? It's the same the other way around. On many occasions, CX flights are available with AM but not with AA miles unless booked as married segment.
I don't know if the AA solution works with AM/MPC but I usually ask AA to book the married segment and then drop one ...
Married segment is what I want, not point to point. Inventory is available from XXX-DFW-YYY, but not from DFW-YYY. My origin is XXX so CX should be able to see the 4 U class.

Last edited by sleuth; Feb 27, 2020 at 6:47 pm
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:55 pm

Not married then; POS (Point Of Sale)

AFAIK AM is fixed in HK
Avios is dependent on where your residential address is.

AA has not made the flight available to HK POS.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
I’m not too confident if this makes any difference, but just to be sure, are the CX agents searching for XXX-YYY, and not segment by segment?
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

AA has not made the flight available to HK POS.
This is the conclusion I came to. I called to check economy and the agent could see one flight but not the other one. Both have availability in T class.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jagmeets
I’m not too confident if this makes any difference, but just to be sure, are the CX agents searching for XXX-YYY, and not segment by segment?
I specifically told them to search from XXX-YYY because I already knew it was only available as married segments.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
EF can search HK POS too... maybe also worth a try?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 11:33 pm

This is the conclusion I came to. I called to check economy and the agent could see one flight but not the other one. Both have availability in T class.
I specifically told them to search from XXX-YYY because I already knew it was only available as married segments.
I don't know whether any magic words for this but seems like agent still searching flights one-by-one.

Unfortunately, you can't search for AA in asiamiles.com

Try the Cantonese line, probably 06:00 or earlier HKT.
Select Cantonese, and speak English. Most agents on the Cantonese side are bilingual.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Slightly OT..is BA’s search driven by a UK PoS, or, by the PoS of where your account is setup at?

(I still get redemption quotes in HKD..account setup when I used to live in HK)..

if XXX-YYY is showing available on other AA partners, that would point towards the Asiamiles agent not doing the search ‘correctly’?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets
if XXX-YYY is showing available on other AA partners, that would point towards the Asiamiles agent not doing the search ‘correctly’?
Not sure whether is it POS location restriction or program-specific restriction (ie Asia Miles can’t access it while everyone else can).

sleuth: is your routing visible in QF Frequent Flyer? This is like debugging the AoA indicator disagreement on the 737MAX - a tiebreaker is needed.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Not sure whether is it POS location restriction or program-specific restriction (ie Asia Miles can’t access it while everyone else can).

sleuth: is your routing visible in QF Frequent Flyer? This is like debugging the AoA indicator disagreement on the 737MAX - a tiebreaker is needed.
Just checked. Yes it is showing available on QF website.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:28 am

Just checked. Yes it is showing available on QF website.
OK.

What if you asked for AAA-CCC with Asia Miles, and let the agent figure out two flights are needed (thru BBB - don’t tell him)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.