Wiki Posts
Search

Philippine Travel Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
Philippine Travel Conundrum

The travel restrictions recently introduced by the Philippine government provide that Philippine citizens cannot fly to Hong Kong either to enter or to transit. Also only Philippine citizens and PR visa holders can enter Philippines from Hong Kong including those who transitted there. As I read it, this means that only those with Philippine PR visas can take a round trip from Philippines. I do not think there are many of them. Yet CX continue to offer round trip tickets. Yesterday my wife received notification of yet another special offer. Are CX trying to trap folk?

I have an SRRV and a round trip MNL/HKG/MNL booking for March 8-11. CX has changed my outbound and return flights by a couple of hours each and advised that I can reschedule the flights if I wish. There is no offer to fully refund a ticket which I cannot use, only an offer to reschedule with a fee waiver. When I look at the rescheduling options these only extend to end March during which period all "I" class availability has been zeroed out. So they have waived the rebooking fee but want to hit me for about $250 in class change., and that for a possible delay of only a couple of weeks or so. What to do? Wait to see if I am offered a full refund cancellation? Or something else?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:15 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I believe Cathay Pacific now operates 2 flights daily to Manila 901/930 and 903/902. I believe this is because there are still Filipino passengers traveling into Manila and Foreigners traveling out.

According to the latest ticketing guidelines for the Philippines, updated last Feb 5,2020 ticket issued prior to February 4, 2020 are entitled to a refund waiver. If you want a refund you may want to wait a little longer.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
I have heard this morning from a couple of normally reliable sources that the Philippine Government are going early next week to relax the restrictions as regards travel to/from Hong Kong.
How true this is I am not at all sure but to me it seems probable.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by oldchinahand
I have heard this morning from a couple of normally reliable sources that the Philippine Government are going early next week to relax the restrictions as regards travel to/from Hong Kong.
The Taiwan restriction has been drop as of yesterday.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
​​​​​​
Too many Filipino OFWs needs to fly to HK or Macao to get back to work. Then there are the ones in HK who needs to get to PH to renew their work visa.

The decision was made knee jerk as the healthcare system in the Philippines would not be capable of handling an outbreak.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:07 am

Programs: AAdavantage Member
can we have a hint to what this source is?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
The Taiwan restriction has been drop as of yesterday.
could you be more specific? Any link?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by brunos
I saw this in NY times yesterday as well although I didn't check for the official statement.

​​​​https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020...es-taiwan.html
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by brunos
https://www.rappler.com/nation/25186...bruary-14-2020

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.