Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

JFK-YVR Flights - 18 Feb discontinued

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-YVR Flights - 18 Feb discontinued

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
I am following this thread with great interest. I am booked RT on JFK-YVR in J in early March, on an AS award. AS appears to have plenty of F seats (not U though) JFK-SEA-YVR on my dates.

When I call AS, how adamant can I be about them putting my wife and me in any open F seats? I want to push hard for this, but not so much that they just say no and refund the 100k AS miles.

Appreciate any ideas or strategies...
Since this is an AS ticket, it would be better to ask on AS instead of CX.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:35 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Okay, I am totally confused now, so forgive me if I am missing anything obvious!

I was originally ticketed to fly HKG-JFK on CX840 on 26 Feb. Since the timing of CX888 is more convenient, I called in yesterday and asked if I could be rebooked onto that service instead on 27 Feb at 1am. And they said this was no problem and changed the ticket accordingly.

So what is going on here? Is CX888 still flying beyond 18 Feb or not? It is kind of important to me, as I have a connection in JFK to catch at 12:30pm after the arrival of my international inbound flight on CX.

Would appreciate any elucidations you can share with me!
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Okay, I am totally confused now, so forgive me if I am missing anything obvious!

I was originally ticketed to fly HKG-JFK on CX840 on 26 Feb. Since the timing of CX888 is more convenient, I called in yesterday and asked if I could be rebooked onto that service instead on 27 Feb at 1am. And they said this was no problem and changed the ticket accordingly.

So what is going on here? Is CX888 still flying beyond 18 Feb or not? It is kind of important to me, as I have a connection in JFK to catch at 12:30pm after the arrival of my international inbound flight on CX.

If you have a connection (ie it’s on the same ticket) you’ll just get rebooked to a later flight should this be necessary.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:54 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany

This is what I get when I do searches using a GDS.

CX 888 HKG-YVR-JFK is still operating as normal until the end of March.
CX 888 HKG-YVR = Seats Available for Sale
CX 888 HKG-JFK = Seats Available for Sale until the end of March until it disappers
CX 888 YVR-JFK = Inventory zeroed out (CX does this periodically once their quota on the route is filled up) from Feb 18 onwards

CX 865 JFK-YVR-HKG is still operating as normal until the end of March.
CX 865 JFK-HKG = Seats Available for Sale until the end of March until it disappears
CX 865 YVR-HKG = Seats Available for Sale
CX 865 JFK-YVR = Inventory zeroed out (CX does this periodically once their quota on the route is filled up) from Feb 18 onwards

It appears that the YVR-JFK-YVR sector will still operate until the end of March. However, CX is simply not selling any more seats YVR-JFK-YVR after Feb 18.

Passengers flying YVR-HKG-YVR or JFK-HKG-JFK will not be affected.

Also, it looks like that passengers originally booked and ticketed on a flight between YVR-JFK-YVR for travel between Feb 18th and end of March can still continue to fly as long as they don't make any changes to their reservation.

It appears to me that some online blogger may be incorrectly spreading rumors that this route is ending early when in fact it is just CX blocking inventory for YVR-JFK-YVR.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by daniellam

CX 888 HKG-JFK = Seats Available for Sale until the end of March until it disappers
CX 888 YVR-JFK = Inventory zeroed out (CX does this periodically once their quota on the route is filled up) from Feb 18 onwards

CX 865 JFK-HKG = Seats Available for Sale until the end of March until it disappears
CX 865 JFK-YVR = Inventory zeroed out (CX does this periodically once their quota on the route is filled up) from Feb 18 onwards

It appears that the YVR-JFK-YVR sector will still operate until the end of March. However, CX is simply not selling any more seats YVR-JFK-YVR after Feb 18.

Also, it looks like that passengers originally booked and ticketed on a flight between YVR-JFK-YVR for travel between Feb 18th and end of March can still continue to fly as long as they don't make any changes to their reservation.

It appears to me that some online blogger may be incorrectly spreading rumors that this route is ending early when in fact it is just CX blocking inventory for YVR-JFK-YVR.
I hope you're right! My CX account still show the flights as confirmed. Nothing have changed yet.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:46 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by daniellam

CX is zeroing out many flights that is announced to be cancelled. I think CX hasn't had the ability to adjust everything yet.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:32 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I'm still showing confirmed on 3/3 JFK-YVR. I'm getting antsy because we're moving up on some replacement fare deadlines (e.g. 21-day fares going away because of the calendar as of Tuesday).

(Even if they can't be arsed to set things in the GDS, it would sure be nice if they'd simply issue a press release on the non-China routes...)

Edit: I missed a Twitter reply. I've sent in my ticket and confirmation numbers. If I don't get a reply by midnight tonight I'll probably throw in a stand-in DL reservation, though I'd need to sort where I want to originate from (I am royally spoiled for choice there to the point that it causes me heartburn at times trying to optimize).
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Feb 9, 2020 at 4:58 am
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by edcli
Wow this is totally going to blow up skiers trip to whistler this Columbus Day week
Columbus Day is celebrated in the fall in the USA, although I realize that some holidays are observed at different times in Canada. Couldn't you mean our Presidents' Day long semiholiday weekend, which replaced the federal holidays to observe Washington's and Lincoln's Birthdays, IIRC February 16th or 18th and 22nd?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
I'm due to fly JFK-YVR 20 March, then YVR-HKG 22 March. Just received the email saying CX865 on 20 March is cancelled - but all sectors show as confirmed on CX MMB site
Old Feb 10, 2020, 4:56 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I also received two emails that my flights (one email for CX888 and one for CX865) were cancelled. It says to use the emails to make a claim with insurance if I have one.
I do not have one and don't understand how CX can drop out of a carriage contact when I've already flown part of the ticket. I'm seriously baffled.

Last edited by DeltaFlyingProf; Feb 10, 2020 at 5:16 am
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:10 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Cathay Pacific condition of carriage

Cathay's conditions of carriage states in section 10.2.2.2:

within a reasonable period of time re-route you to the destination shown
on your Ticket by our own services or those of another Carrier, or by other
mutually agreed means and class of transportation without additional
charge. If the fare, and charges for the revised routing are lower than
what you have paid, we shall refund the difference;
So it seems I should be able to request there reroute me. I shall call them and try to have them do that. I will post back with the details of how they handle this for me. If anyone else tries the same, please post any relevant information that may help others.

Last edited by DeltaFlyingProf; Feb 19, 2020 at 2:19 pm
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: Aadvantage
I got the email notification canceling this flight too.

Haven't started my journey but contacted British Airways to understand options as I don't want a refund vs. rebooking on equivalent service flight without spending more miles. Will see what happens. I expect BA to be delayed in replying due to storms in the UK.

Separately, I wonder if compensation is due following new regulations in Canada similar to EU rules for delay/canceled.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...tion-1.5384221

It sounds like alternative arrangements should first be offered.

https://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regul...html#h-1129787
Cancellation

(4) In the case of a cancellation, the carrier must
  • (a) provide passengers with the information set out in section 13;
  • (b) if a passenger is informed of the cancellation less than 12 hours before the departure time that is indicated on their original ticket, provide the standard of treatment set out in section 14; and
  • (c) provide alternate travel arrangements or a refund, in the manner set out in section 17.
Depends if they classify it as within their control or not. I'd say it is within their control as they quote "commercial and operational reasons".

https://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regul...3.html#docCont

Alternate arrangements — within carrier’s control
  • 17 (1) If paragraph 11(3)(c), (4)(c) or (5)(c) or 12(2)(c), (3)(c) or (4)(c) applies to a carrier, it must provide the following alternate travel arrangements free of charge to ensure that passengers complete their itinerary as soon as feasible:
    • (a) in the case of a large carrier,
      • (i) a confirmed reservation for the next available flight that is operated by the original carrier, or a carrier with which the original carrier has a commercial agreement, is travelling on any reasonable air route from the airport at which the passenger is located to the destination that is indicated on the passenger’s original ticket and departs within nine hours of the departure time that is indicated on that original ticket,
      • (ii) a confirmed reservation for a flight that is operated by any carrier and is travelling on any reasonable air route from the airport at which the passenger is located to the destination that is indicated on the passenger’s original ticket and departs within 48 hours of the departure time that is indicated on that original ticket if the carrier cannot provide a confirmed reservation that complies with subparagraph (i), or
      • (iii) transportation to another airport that is within a reasonable distance of the airport at which the passenger is located and a confirmed reservation for a flight that is operated by any carrier and is travelling on any reasonable air route from that other airport to the destination that is indicated on the passenger’s original ticket, if the carrier cannot provide a confirmed reservation that complies with subparagraphs (i) or (ii); and
    • (b) in the case of a small carrier, a confirmed reservation for the next available flight that is operated by the original carrier, or a carrier with which the original carrier has a commercial agreement, and is travelling on any reasonable air route from the airport at which the passenger is located to the destination that is indicated on the passenger’s original ticket.
  • Refund

(2) If the alternate travel arrangements offered in accordance with subsection (1) do not accommodate the passenger’s travel needs, the carrier must
    • (a) in the case where the passenger is no longer at the point of origin that is indicated on the ticket and the travel no longer serves a purpose because of the delay, cancellation or denial of boarding, refund the ticket and provide the passenger with a confirmed reservation that
      • (i) is for a flight to that point of origin, and
      • (ii) accommodates the passenger’s travel needs; and
    • (b) in any other case, refund the unused portion of the ticket.
  • :Comparable services

(3) To the extent possible, the alternate travel arrangements must provide services that are comparable to those of the original ticket.

Last edited by spark911; Feb 10, 2020 at 7:26 am
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:56 am

This bulletin indicates that CX will only offer refunds for JFK-YVR
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...assengers.html

This is pretty devastating for my plans because I have 6 J award tickets plus positioning (revenue) flights on DL into JFK. It's going to be much more expensive now to fix this for me and a refund is going to be inadequate compensation for their breach of contract. On top of that, there will be 300k Amex points stuck in Asiamiles forevermore if they only give a refund.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:15 am

Also I believe the APPR will apply as well to this itinerary (https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ns.html#Canada).
If a flight has been delayed for three hours or more, or if a flight has been cancelled, we will arrange a rebooking. The passenger will be rebooked on the next available Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon flight from the airport indicated on the ticket using a reasonable route.

Alternate arrangement (reroute or refund)
For delays and cancellations within our control, if the next available flight would depart nine hours or more after the original scheduled departure time, we will rebook the passenger on another airline.

If we are unable to rebook the passenger on a flight leaving the airport on the ticket within 48 hours of the original departure time, we will arrange transportation for the passenger to a nearby airport, where available, and book them on a flight from that airport using a reasonable route.

Rebooking must be done under comparable conditions (e.g. same class of service). If the rebooking is made in a lower class of service, we will arrange for a refund of the difference. If the rebooking is made in a higher level of service, we will not request any supplementary payment.

If the offered rebooking does not meet the passenger’s travel needs, the passenger will be entitled to a refund. The passenger will, in addition to a refund, also be entitled to a lump sum payment of CAN$400, reflecting the applicable minimum compensation for delays of at least three hours but less than six hours (see “Minimum levels of compensation” below).

For delays or cancellations outside of our control, if the Cathay Pacific / Cathay Dragon next available flight is not scheduled to depart within 48 hours, we will rebook the passenger on another airline, including those departing from a nearby airport.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: ba silver
As other posters have noted Cathay Pacific is require by law to either re-book on their next ( not possible in this case) or re-route on another airline. This should be very easy in the case of those who booked via CX. Those who booked award tickets through other airlines might have a harder time as CX will probably send them back to the ticketing airline, who might only be willing to use award space. In that case it will take some persistence but should happen, as both the issuing airline and the operating airline are jointly responsible. In the end the airlines have no choice, as this supersedes any COC that was agreed too.

Now if only the rest of the world could adopt a similar law ( minus the compensation requirements for delays and cancellations; that raises fares for all of us). Cancellations happen; the passenger should never be left holding the bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.