Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The end of CX?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Is this a theoretical loophole or has it been proven to work?
It's proven. Originally its benefit to Chinese pax as they can easily transit to SZX or to others Mainland China area using ground transport after landed HKG

But a lot of Chinese abuse it as a short trip to Hong Kong for shopping.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:21 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by rickywk
It's proven. Originally its benefit to Chinese pax as they can easily transit to SZX or to others Mainland China area using ground transport after landed HKG

But a lot of Chinese abuse it as a short trip to Hong Kong for shopping.
Thanks

I was skeptical at first
But I was told you can just use a cancellable ticket to satisfy this requirement, even if Immigration Department HKSAR checks it.

Close the border then. We don't control immigration policy, and it's fxcked.

Edit 14:32: I have been further told that PRC NIA will check for foreign stamps for frequent exploiters of this loophole, and not many travelers will risk this loophole if lawful endorsements are available. Although given some countries don't issue visa or passport stamps to PRC passport holders (AU and NZ come to mind), I am not fully convinced this is an effective safeguard.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 3, 2020 at 11:50 pm
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:50 pm

Thanks

I was skeptical at first
But I was told you can just use a cancellable ticket to satisfy this requirement, even if Immigration Department HKSAR checks it.

Edit 14:32: I have been told further that PRC NIA may check for foreign stamps for frequent exploiters of this loophole, but this reconciliation is not uniformly enforced.
Normally, they bought a seat holding ticket from Taobao(Just within 100HKD) to pleased HK border control to gain access.

Yes, they cannot use this method to fake HK border control too often, but its time to fix the loophole
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by rickywk
but its time to fix the loophole
Given current circumstances, agree. It’s like a formerly inconsequential fire on a carrier that, if unchecked or monitored, may cause the loss of the ship.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:03 am

Programs: Asia Miles
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ep-flight-cuts

More cuts coming up...
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:31 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by woutr
Just adding a snippet / summary:
Cathay Pacific Airways is planning deep flight cuts worldwide, including to about 90 per cent of its services to mainland China, for two months as it combats the fallout from the deadly coronavirus outbreak.

Hong Kong’s battered flagship airline will reduce overall flight capacity by about 30 per cent, its chief operating officer Augustus Tang Kin-wing said on Tuesday.
woutr likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:41 am

Thanks

I was skeptical at first

Edit 14:32: I have been further told that PRC NIA will check for foreign stamps for frequent exploiters of this loophole, and not many travelers will risk this loophole if lawful endorsements are available. Although given some countries don't issue visa or passport stamps to PRC passport holders (AU and NZ come to mind), I am not fully convinced this is an effective safeguard.
The HK Immigration Department will write DT (I am not sure what it means, some say it's delete travel others say doubtful transit) on any abusers' passports and those with two DTs will be denied entry into HK using this method.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by just2010just
The HK Immigration Department will write DT (I am not sure what it means, some say it's delete travel others say doubtful transit) on any abusers' passports and those with two DTs will be denied entry into HK using this method.
Would help if Immigration Dept released a statement confirming these practices exist, and transit numbers for the last five days.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:17 am

Legislator Helena Wong Pik-Wan’s brought up the transit issue in Legco press conference

黃碧雲:停止自由行簽注沒有意義

http://news.now.com/home/local/playe...39&refer=Share
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Legislator Helena Wong Pik-Wan’s brought up the transit issue in Legco press conference

黃碧雲:停止自由行簽注沒有意義

http://news.now.com/home/local/playe...39&refer=Share
Whilst that is true, it only gives them up to 7 days to stay at HK. For people who then needs to go to USA or Australia they still need to so somewhere else for another 7 days.

But yes it is definitely a big loophole and will not stop mainland Chinese coming to HK for now.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Whilst that is true, it only gives them up to 7 days to stay at HK. For people who then needs to go to USA or Australia they still need to so somewhere else for another 7 days.

But yes it is definitely a big loophole and will not stop mainland Chinese coming to HK for now.
(deleted, see #44 below)

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 4, 2020 at 8:58 pm
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:51 pm

Would help if Immigration Dept released a statement confirming these practices exist, and transit numbers for the last five days.

To guard against their entry, all passengers have to go through immigration clearance procedures at the immigration counters at the Airport. Doubtful cases will be given secondary examination by immigration officers. A dedicated team of officers conducts detailed examinations on passengers from flights. Intercepted passengers not qualified for entry will be refused permission to land and removed to the last port or place of origin by the first available means.

Source: https://www.sb.gov.hk/eng/special/bound/control.htm

And although not explicitly mentioned, an easy Google Search would reveal that first time offenders would get a DT, second time would get transit time reduce to 2 days instead of 7 days, and third time refused entry.
percysmith likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: CX Gold
With a lot of cancelled flights, where will CX/KA park their planes? Will HKIA be able to accommodate all the planes?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by boybi
With a lot of cancelled flights, where will CX/KA park their planes? Will HKIA be able to accommodate all the planes?
Australia, perhaps, where HKers (not just crew) can still can go to and get out.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 5, 2020 at 5:27 am
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:16 am

Deleted

Last edited by northsideguy; Feb 5, 2020 at 7:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.