Manila airport closure

Old Jan 12, 20, 9:09 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: CX DM/OWE, Avis Avis Preferred, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 101
Manila airport closure

Manila airport is closed due to a volcano. It looks like CX918, CX902 and CX934 (jan 12 departure) were delayed till 13th afternoon. CX976 (5am departure jan 13) was cancelled and it seems that there are rolling delays for the rest of today.
OneWorldLoyalist is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:26 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 265
Some CX N. America to HKG flight also affected, needs a technical stop at ICN/NRT/KIX for refuel
rickywk is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 11:08 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 409
Originally Posted by rickywk View Post
Some CX N. America to HKG flight also affected, needs a technical stop at ICN/NRT/KIX for refuel
Wondered why?
londonexpert is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 11:27 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 265
Originally Posted by londonexpert View Post
Wondered why?
Original flight path chosen over Pacific Ocean route, volcano ash blocked some of the planned flight path so they needs re-route and needs technical stop.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...b-kqk#237ecb6f

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...b-lrn#237edc6b
rickywk is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:45 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: BA Silver, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott SL
Posts: 3,595
Originally Posted by rickywk View Post
Original flight path chosen over Pacific Ocean route, volcano ash blocked some of the planned flight path so they needs re-route and needs technical stop.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...b-kqk#237ecb6f

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...b-lrn#237edc6b
I guess also that means losing MNL as a backup airport will mean they may have to go beyond to BKK / reroute to TPE / KIX / NRT as backup airports?
ChrisLi is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:56 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MNL
Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,133
I heard some DMs causing a scene at the airport yesterday. Some DMs wanted to get on a flight, staff and other DMs apparently were trying to explain that no one is leaving last night...guess that sit well with the first group...one even said he's "Invitational". I wish i was there to video it. lol
FlyPointyEnd is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 2:07 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 265
Originally Posted by ChrisLi View Post
I guess also that means losing MNL as a backup airport will mean they may have to go beyond to BKK / reroute to TPE / KIX / NRT as backup airports?
From https://ds.data.jma.go.jp/svd/vaac/d...0008_PF15.html


The advisory blocked a large flight path from Pacific Ocean route, they needs re-route to near Taiwan to join famous A1 route. So that's why they needs extra fuel.
rickywk is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 6:06 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,818
Originally Posted by ChrisLi View Post
I guess also that means losing MNL as a backup airport will mean they may have to go beyond to BKK / reroute to TPE / KIX / NRT as backup airports?
Due to visa requirement, MNL is quite high on th HKG diversion list.
Losing that option would require a higher fuel load which cannot be accommodated at takeoff.
tentseller is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 6:42 am
  #9  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: CRK MNL
Programs: CX MPC Silver
Posts: 914
If the ashes doesn’t reach CRK, then this airport is the best alternative to MNL, plus KA also flies to CRK, they have the ground staff to support the diverted flights.
boybi is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:11 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Singapore
Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Posts: 675
Originally Posted by boybi View Post
If the ashes doesnít reach CRK, then this airport is the best alternative to MNL, plus KA also flies to CRK, they have the ground staff to support the diverted flights.
MNL itself is a joke. Donít think CX would wanna risk a smaller capacity CRK. Beside you never know if the ash would reach CRK
CXFlyerBoy is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 2:29 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MNL
Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,133
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy View Post
MNL itself is a joke. Donít think CX would wanna risk a smaller capacity CRK. Beside you never know if the ash would reach CRK
MNL is one of the few airports in the world that could get you from Plane Door to Car in under 20 mins and that's with checked luggage, I've done 13 minutes without.

Of course IRROPS is a different thing altogether.
Arbeysix likes this.
FlyPointyEnd is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 2:39 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SYD | HGH
Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,950
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd View Post
MNL is one of the few airports in the world that could get you from Plane Door to Car in under 20 mins and that's with checked luggage, I've done 13 minutes without.

Of course IRROPS is a different thing altogether.
MNL is also one of the few airports that could take more than 30 minutes in cars between terminals....
Ausriver is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:12 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,818
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd View Post
MNL is one of the few airports in the world that could get you from Plane Door to Car in under 20 mins and that's with checked luggage, I've done 13 minutes without.

Of course IRROPS is a different thing altogether.
[Sarcasm / ON]
Was this accomplished at Terminal 1?
What about from getting into the car to your final destination?

I did plane door to car in 3 minutes at a different Asian airport not far away without checked bags.
tentseller is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 7:23 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MNL
Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,133
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
[Sarcasm / ON]
Was this accomplished at Terminal 1?
What about from getting into the car to your final destination?

I did plane door to car in 3 minutes at a different Asian airport not far away without checked bags.
Actually it was doable on T1 as well, I flew JL once, arrived in an empty T1. It was not as easy as T3 as the distance you have to walk is longer than T3

As for T3, if your flight parks at Gate 113-115 like normally for CX903/935/939, which is directly across the immigration counters and no other flight arrives before you, its as fast as your legs could carry you to the immigration counter and presenting your passport. Using the e-gates for Filipino passport holders this could be done a bit faster in my experience. Also my driver knows the drill by now, so I normally send him a text message when I get through immigration, and he knows when to be at Bay 10 by the time I get out.

As for getting to my final destination. I live in Makati, now depending on the time of day it's normally between 15-45 minute car ride.

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Jan 14, 20 at 7:46 pm
FlyPointyEnd is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 7:37 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MNL
Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,133
Originally Posted by Ausriver View Post
MNL is also one of the few airports that could take more than 30 minutes in cars between terminals....
I haven't tried it but I heard there is a shuttle provided that passthrough the restricted parts of the airport but if you want to use a private cars you can tell your driver to use the new NAIAX between terminals. this normally cuts travel time down to 29 mins.
FlyPointyEnd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: