Wiki Posts
Search

Manila airport closure

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE
Manila airport closure

Manila airport is closed due to a volcano. It looks like CX918, CX902 and CX934 (jan 12 departure) were delayed till 13th afternoon. CX976 (5am departure jan 13) was cancelled and it seems that there are rolling delays for the rest of today.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:26 pm

Some CX N. America to HKG flight also affected, needs a technical stop at ICN/NRT/KIX for refuel
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by rickywk
Some CX N. America to HKG flight also affected, needs a technical stop at ICN/NRT/KIX for refuel
Wondered why?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by londonexpert
Wondered why?
Original flight path chosen over Pacific Ocean route, volcano ash blocked some of the planned flight path so they needs re-route and needs technical stop.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...b-kqk#237ecb6f

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...b-lrn#237edc6b
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by rickywk
Original flight path chosen over Pacific Ocean route, volcano ash blocked some of the planned flight path so they needs re-route and needs technical stop.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...b-kqk#237ecb6f

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...b-lrn#237edc6b
I guess also that means losing MNL as a backup airport will mean they may have to go beyond to BKK / reroute to TPE / KIX / NRT as backup airports?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:56 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I heard some DMs causing a scene at the airport yesterday. Some DMs wanted to get on a flight, staff and other DMs apparently were trying to explain that no one is leaving last night...guess that sit well with the first group...one even said he's "Invitational". I wish i was there to video it. lol
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
I guess also that means losing MNL as a backup airport will mean they may have to go beyond to BKK / reroute to TPE / KIX / NRT as backup airports?
From https://ds.data.jma.go.jp/svd/vaac/d...0008_PF15.html

The advisory blocked a large flight path from Pacific Ocean route, they needs re-route to near Taiwan to join famous A1 route. So that's why they needs extra fuel.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Due to visa requirement, MNL is quite high on th HKG diversion list.
Losing that option would require a higher fuel load which cannot be accommodated at takeoff.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:42 am

Programs: CX Gold
If the ashes doesn’t reach CRK, then this airport is the best alternative to MNL, plus KA also flies to CRK, they have the ground staff to support the diverted flights.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by boybi
If the ashes doesn’t reach CRK, then this airport is the best alternative to MNL, plus KA also flies to CRK, they have the ground staff to support the diverted flights.
MNL itself is a joke. Don’t think CX would wanna risk a smaller capacity CRK. Beside you never know if the ash would reach CRK
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
MNL itself is a joke. Don’t think CX would wanna risk a smaller capacity CRK. Beside you never know if the ash would reach CRK
MNL is one of the few airports in the world that could get you from Plane Door to Car in under 20 mins and that's with checked luggage, I've done 13 minutes without.

Of course IRROPS is a different thing altogether.
Arbeysix likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:39 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
MNL is one of the few airports in the world that could get you from Plane Door to Car in under 20 mins and that's with checked luggage, I've done 13 minutes without.

MNL is also one of the few airports that could take more than 30 minutes in cars between terminals....
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd

[Sarcasm / ON]
Was this accomplished at Terminal 1?
What about from getting into the car to your final destination?

I did plane door to car in 3 minutes at a different Asian airport not far away without checked bags.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
[Sarcasm / ON]
Was this accomplished at Terminal 1?
What about from getting into the car to your final destination?

I did plane door to car in 3 minutes at a different Asian airport not far away without checked bags.
Actually it was doable on T1 as well, I flew JL once, arrived in an empty T1. It was not as easy as T3 as the distance you have to walk is longer than T3

As for T3, if your flight parks at Gate 113-115 like normally for CX903/935/939, which is directly across the immigration counters and no other flight arrives before you, its as fast as your legs could carry you to the immigration counter and presenting your passport. Using the e-gates for Filipino passport holders this could be done a bit faster in my experience. Also my driver knows the drill by now, so I normally send him a text message when I get through immigration, and he knows when to be at Bay 10 by the time I get out.

As for getting to my final destination. I live in Makati, now depending on the time of day it's normally between 15-45 minute car ride.

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Jan 14, 2020 at 6:46 pm
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ausriver
MNL is also one of the few airports that could take more than 30 minutes in cars between terminals....
I haven't tried it but I heard there is a shuttle provided that passthrough the restricted parts of the airport but if you want to use a private cars you can tell your driver to use the new NAIAX between terminals. this normally cuts travel time down to 29 mins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.