Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2021, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold. Marriott Platinum
Very new to this whole waitlisted thing.

I'm waitlisted on the 3rd January 2022 in economy on CX712 BKK to HKG.
Historically as this is a peak time am i likely to be waitlisted until the last possible minute stressing that it might not get cleared? Or do things usually clear a few months before?
Old Jan 14, 2021, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by robhicky

Historically as this is a peak time am i likely to be waitlisted until the last possible minute stressing that it might not get cleared? Or do things usually clear a few months before?
CX won’t even know whether they will operate this flight next year.

I would think that CX won’t clear the waitlist so early. Or else if they have to cancel the flight , they need to rebook for you. Might have to wait until the flight schedule is confirm
Old Jan 17, 2021, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by robhicky

Really? CX may not even exist in 12 months.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 3:20 am

Hi there - I'm waitlisted on the following business class (class U) flights from AKL to HKG:

Sun 14 Mar 2021 CX198
Fri 19 Mar 2021 CX198
Sun 21 Mar 2021 CX198

What are the chances of these waitlists clearing? I need to book my quarantine hotel in HK, etc. ASAP! MPC said I'm on priority but can't do anything else to help. Thanks.

Last edited by jomonaro; Jan 27, 2021 at 3:39 am
Old May 3, 2021, 9:51 pm

Hi- I'm waitlisted for the following business class flights HKG-JFK-HKG
08 Jul CX844
21 Jul CX845

Can anyone please tell me what the chances are the waitlist will clear?

Appreciate any help. Thank you in advance!
Old Aug 20, 2021, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Iceprincess88
Hi- I'm waitlisted for the following business class flights HKG-JFK-HKG
08 Jul CX844
21 Jul CX845

Can anyone please tell me what the chances are the waitlist will clear?

Appreciate any help. Thank you in advance!
Did they clear? I am trying waitlist for HKG-JFK flights 3 weeks away, those flights are practically empty, but no award available
Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:26 pm

Hope someone can help, first time I've used miles for upgrade award. Just wondering what the chances are of getting the upgrade:

18/12/21 CX255 HKG-LHR Economy to Premium Economy

Booking is confirmed, redemption upgrade listed as 'Waitlist'

Much appreciated in advance for any advice, clarifications etc.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dbassist
Hope someone can help, first time I've used miles for upgrade award. Just wondering what the chances are of getting the upgrade:

18/12/21 CX255 HKG-LHR Economy to Premium Economy

Booking is confirmed, redemption upgrade listed as 'Waitlist'

Much appreciated in advance for any advice, clarifications etc.
Nowadays, everything is unpredictable with CX.

The first issue is that only CX251 currently flies. CX is planning to add CX255 from 10 Dec for the holiday period.
Whether they will find the staff to do it, is another question.

The flight is already heavily loaded in J and PE. So is CX251.
I doubt that CX will open many award seats until they are sure that all flights are flying. If they cancel some of their LHR flights, they will accommodate pax on other CX flights. If BA or VS cancel flights or be suspended, pax will move to CX.

Your travel date is in a special holiday period, but the usual current experience is that flights are reasonably full in premium cabins and quite empty in Y. Might be better to have a row in Y than a PE seat.
Dbassist likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
Nowadays, everything is unpredictable with CX.

The first issue is that only CX251 currently flies. CX is planning to add CX255 from 10 Dec for the holiday period.
Whether they will find the staff to do it, is another question.

The flight is already heavily loaded in J and PE. So is CX251.
I doubt that CX will open many award seats until they are sure that all flights are flying. If they cancel some of their LHR flights, they will accommodate pax on other CX flights. If BA or VS cancel flights or be suspended, pax will move to CX.

Your travel date is in a special holiday period, but the usual current experience is that flights are reasonably full in premium cabins and quite empty in Y. Might be better to have a row in Y than a PE seat.

Thanks Bruno. I’ve managed to get an extra legroom seat, so not getting the upgrade isn’t the end of the world for me. Main reason is actually using up my Asia Miles, as I won’t be returning. If I don’t get the upgrade, I’ll just siphon the points to extra baggage. Hopefully the flight will go ahead!
Old Sep 16, 2022, 2:52 am

Just wanted to share my experience trying to upgrade W → J using Asia Miles. No idea what of this is representative of how things work now but figured I’d share.

MPC Gold, US-based
16 Sept 2022 CX 495 + CX 892, TPE → HKG → SFO (return).
Originally booked whatever said it was eligible for upgrade-with-miles and was flex (W?).

From there
  1. Clicked the buttons to upgrade my return flights using Asia Miles on the web site, said I was on Waitlist. (Probably 2+ weeks prior to flight.)
  2. Checked in using CX iOS app within ~30 minutes of checkin time opening, maybe 48 hours ahead of TPE flight. App told me no mobile boarding passes available, gave me all the warnings about needing tests for HKG that aren’t actually true for transfers right now. Still showed me as Premium Economy on CX web site as well.
  3. CX web site advised arriving at airport ~4 hours early (!) and filling out a bunch of HK arrival stuff not relevant for transfers anymore. I arrived a bit more than 3 hours before departure. TPE CX counters were closed with a sign saying they do not open until 3 hours before departure. (Just thought this was funny.) To their credit they opened at 3 hours before precisely.
  4. Ticketing agent in TPE informed me that automatic waitlist did not clear because I’m traveling alone and while there are still business seats the only remaining business seats are in the center where they’re paired up, and that it’s up to each airport to decide if they’ll allow passengers to sit that close when not traveling together. (?!) She said she’s put a note in so HKG agents would review when I get there.
  5. In HKG, I asked The Pier lounge staff to take a look. Initially they said there were no business seats available. But after a phone call they said actually there are seats but the reason waitlist for me did not clear is that I owe a 20HKD tax to redeem Asia Miles. I said I’d happily pay.
  6. Got upgraded to business.

My prior-to-covid experience was that when waitlist cleared I’d get a phone call (which was sometimes inconvenient when using a travel SIM!) to ask me to pay the tax to upgrade with miles. Maybe the whole issue stems from a combination of not having the phone staff to handle that anymore and not being able to do mobile boarding passes transferring through HKG right now? I saw a number of signs at transfer security saying mobile boarding passes are currently not accepted. Not sure if the TPE agent was just thinking of some older rules about passenger seating — it’s a silly rule if it exists since I’d have been a lot closer to more passengers sitting in W than in J…

Overall I’d rather just pay a 20HKD fee upfront to even be put on the waitlist and have the tax covered and not have to deal with any of that. If waitlist doesn’t clear then oh well. Is this tax just because I’m US-based or something? Just such a small amount to cause so many hiccups.
ernestnywang likes this.

Last edited by julianm; Sep 16, 2022 at 3:00 am
Old Sep 18, 2022, 2:18 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by julianm
Originally booked whatever said it was eligible for upgrade-with-miles and was flex (W?).
R class is also upgrade-eligible.
julianm likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
R class is also upgrade-eligible.
Thanks, good to know. I just went based on what the web site explicitly stated was eligible. Years ago I remember having to specifically look up whether the booking was R or W in order to use these awards, before they clearly spelled it out. So figured I’d mention the code. But glad both R and W work now.
Old May 28, 2023, 11:27 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Do Waitlists actually clear these days?

Was redeeming a companion ticket, and I was told that my return flight is sold out and there are no waitlist for the flight. There is however a waitlist available for a flight leaving earlier. I decided to bit the bullet and pay for the rebooking in order to get my companion on waitlist....I hope I wont regret this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.