Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:42 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by blum81
Yep called twice this morning. The first agent on the diamond line sounded like he was still asleep.

That's weird. so you see availability for April 13th but the full redemption won't clear?
Finally got my upgrade. Looks like I got the last J seat as everything is now taken. My lower back can take a sigh of relief..
percysmith likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:04 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sparkj
Does anyone have experience redeeming to PKX (Beijing Daxing)?
The website doesn't seem to let me search PKX, but sometimes it shows up when i search for routes that go thru PKX to HK
PKX is only BA and AY (for AM redemption partners)?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:00 am

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by percysmith
PKX is only BA and AY (for AM redemption partners)?
Yup, want to search far the partner award. I guess they haven't updated the system to include PKX. I currently search for HKG as destination to look for the PKX availability to show up.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Donkitravel
Only when all the sectors are confirmed, they won't adjust your deadline. When all the sectors are confirmed, do not answer their calls. The deadline will be kept at 10 days before your first flight. That's my experience over the years.
As of today, AM adopting Krisflyer-like rules in relation to completely-cleared bookings https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28574040-post1253.html.

Even if you don't pick up the calls, you will receive SMS with deadline set at most to next day 5pm.

This is not the 4pm sweeper - this is the SMS you get when your waitlist clears. The deadline will move.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 5:57 am

Hello - Wanted some guidance on a waitlist:

5 April 2021
CX 866 HKG to IAD
Biz class reward

I figured they'd load some award seats when the schedule opened but apparently not.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by danpeake

5 April 2021
CX 866 HKG to IAD
Biz class reward

I figured they'd load some award seats when the schedule opened but apparently not.

Thanks in advance.
For some reason, as of today, CX seems to have zeroed out entirely or at least greatly reduced U class on US/Canada flights. I tried random dates and random routes during low season, and I couldn't find any U class. Many flights that I previously saw availability no longer have it. Z class and T class seem unaffected. The only correlation I can think of is the termination of US crew bases, but I don't understand how come only U class is affected.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
For some reason, as of today, CX seems to have zeroed out entirely or at least greatly reduced U class on US/Canada flights. I tried random dates and random routes during low season, and I couldn't find any U class. Many flights that I previously saw availability no longer have it. Z class and T class seem unaffected. The only correlation I can think of is the termination of US crew bases, but I don't understand how come only U class is affected.
The U class availability is back. CX may be just playing something with inventory.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:15 pm

5 April 2021
CX 866 HKG to IAD
Biz class reward

Thanks in advance.
Try again. It should be available now.

Code:
15APRHKGIAD‡.CX«                                                
 05APR  MON   HKG/Z‡8     IAD/EDT-12                            
 1CX  866 J9 C9 D9 I9 U3 HKGIAD 1800 2135 359 BD 0 X237 DCA /E  
          W9 R9 E9 T6 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9          
NO MORE CX.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:30 pm

The U class availability is back. CX may be just playing something with inventory.
YVR Auntie coming home after a long stay with grandchildren since CNY on 12 May. Yes, she's well aware she's subject to 14-day home quarantine and have made arrangements to abide by it, and it's a one-way repatriation.

I've been keeping tabs of loads. Somehow even J keeps zeroing out. W is also low but Y is abundant.
I'm not convinced so many people are flying, given you have to be dual resident like Auntie to have held out in Canada for that long.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:36 pm

5 April 2021
CX 866 HKG to IAD
Biz class reward

Thanks in advance.
Try again. It should be available now.

Code:
15APRHKGIAD‡.CX«
05APR MON HKG/Z‡8 IAD/EDT-12
1CX 866 J9 C9 D9 I9 U3 HKGIAD 1800 2135 359 BD 0 X237 DCA /E
W9 R9 E9 T6 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9
NO MORE CX.
Thanks so much. I got a text and email about an hour ago that the waitlist cleared (so was basically on the waitlist for less than 12 hours ). I called in and completed the booking.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 5:25 pm

Hi everyone, newbie here, first time waitlist on Cathay's flight from LAX to HKG departing next week, wonder how likely will be confirmed. I tried to check seat availability to in EF, yesterday the flights in next week show there are J2 or J1 but now showing J0, does it mean some of the waitlist was cleared?

Wonder how to leverage EF info to tell how likely the waitlist can be confirmed? Thank you very much for time and help.

In addition, it seems Cathay allow waitlisting more than one flight, is that the case for everyone, or they may eventually delete multiple waitlisted bookings? Thanks again!
Old May 9, 2020, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by tokyodocomo
Hi everyone, newbie here, first time waitlist on Cathay's flight from LAX to HKG departing next week, wonder how likely will be confirmed. I tried to check seat availability to in EF, yesterday the flights in next week show there are J2 or J1 but now showing J0, does it mean some of the waitlist was cleared?

Wonder how to leverage EF info to tell how likely the waitlist can be confirmed? Thank you very much for time and help.

In addition, it seems Cathay allow waitlisting more than one flight, is that the case for everyone, or they may eventually delete multiple waitlisted bookings? Thanks again!
You are waitlisting for award or revenue? If you are waitlisting for ward, with J2, J1, or J0 you have very little chance. Even with revenue, you would probably only have a better chance if you are waitlisting in J or maybe C.
Old May 16, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: CX Gold
Question

Originally Posted by simonjp
I stand corrected. Thanks for your help and insight! The difference is the POS is quite interesting, although not something I've had to look into that much before. For me testing the seats, I was just curious - I am indeed looking for the U class, hope something opens up!
Just had an odd experience with this booking. I went to go check if there were any tailored/choice redemption seats available but instead found sufficient standard seats available. This was unexpected as my waitlist had not cleared. I doubled checked the details, redeemed the exact flight I wanted and cancelled the waitlist booking. Anyone know why this might happen?

If anyone else is waitlisted, perhaps it would be a good time to double check your bookings just in case.
Old May 24, 2020, 8:53 am

What would clear first? Award first-class waiting list or upgrade from business to first waiting list? The reason I ask is that the first class is around 120,000 points for the flight. Business-class is 85,000 points and then the upgrade costs another 65,000 points. I was wondering that since the upgrade cost more, CX would prefer that the upgrade waiting list jump the first-class waiting list person. The last time I booked myself a one way first-class and put my wife on the first-class waiting list, someone jumped over us a few months later. I booked a year out and was the first person on the waiting list because I had just booked the other first ticket. Most likely the person had status and jumped us, but then I started wondering if an upgrade waiting list could have jumped us.
Old May 24, 2020, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Huntah
What would clear first? Award first-class waiting list or upgrade from business to first waiting list? The reason I ask is that the first class is around 120,000 points for the flight. Business-class is 85,000 points and then the upgrade costs another 65,000 points. I was wondering that since the upgrade cost more, CX would prefer that the upgrade waiting list jump the first-class waiting list person. The last time I booked myself a one way first-class and put my wife on the first-class waiting list, someone jumped over us a few months later. I booked a year out and was the first person on the waiting list because I had just booked the other first ticket. Most likely the person had status and jumped us, but then I started wondering if an upgrade waiting list could have jumped us.
Umm you can't calculate it like 85000+65000AM=150000AM>120000AM because you can't redeem a business class ticket and then upgrade it to first class. It would be a re-issue and would still cost 120000AM. I don't have solid knowledge on whether upgrade waitlist clears before straight award, but there are two points I would consider:
1) If an upgrade award clears, that means CX can still sell another business seat, which is good for CX
2) Even though both are booked in Z class, it is not the exact same Z class internally, and in fact the availability of straight award and upgrade differ sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.